Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Staycation Calendar is Getting Full

Last weekend my sister and a friend went to the Renaissance Festival (not my thing). Apparently Deb asked my sister what I was doing in retirement and Sue said "Oh, she's being a social butterfly these days, as always".  Deb said that she thought I just stayed home all day and crafted and read, and Sue responded, that yes, I did that for a day or maybe two a week.  The rest of the time, not so much!!

This is the truth of my life. Some people like to get themselves out of the house a little bit each day in retirement. I like to know I'm staying home all day, or just the opposite. Some days, I probably look like the homemaker and crafter extraordinaire, and other days, well, I'm not. If I'm going to sew or draw or whatever, I want to do that all day long. If I'm going out, I'm going out.

At this time of year, my week is often less evenly divided. While I prefer to mainly stay at home in the summer months, and travel other seasons, I do try and fill up my "summer vacation" as much as possibly. For as cheaply as possible, especially this summer with wedding and travel expenses approaching in the fall.

This morning I looked at my calendar  for the rest of the summer and well, it 's pretty much there. I still try and keep Sunday and Monday at home times (except for church), but many of the other days have at least something going on, even if it, just afternoon happy hour. While I might like to get a long weekend in there somewhere, my summer vacation at home is pretty darn full. And the calendar tells the ever loving tale.

I've also done it pretty darn cheaply. I could get even more "skint", with effort. But the only real costs are my gal group lunches twice a month, the pop corn and candy I buy with my five dollar movie and the occasional museum outing. It's actually pretty amazing how cheap the rest of the stuff is.

Granted, much of this entertainment is due to programs through the library, county or city and on some level, yes, taxes were used to pay for these benefits. Still, I'm going to three free outdoor concerts so far, I'm taking a one day class in pastels and a one day class on photo engraving through the library (plus they have a regular drop in craft and chat program). There is a huge Irish festival that is free entrance if you volunteer a couple hours, and a huge arts festival that is free except for the beverage you'll need if it's ninety degrees.

All of which keeps me busy, entertained and out of the stores. Except for the craft supply stores. Because between the free art classes, a Utube series on artistic collage and my natural need to create, I need supplies. Even though I concentrate on recycling, upcycling and reuse these days in my sewing and craft projects, some new inventory is a "need". Someday I need to get a hobby other than reading that doesn't require inventory, I suppose.

Until then, I need to decide which two of these collections to get. Which ones do you think I picked? Which two would you have picked. For yourself or for me?




20 comments:

  1. The festivals sound particularly interesting. I hope you'll write about them. Since you asked, I like Grand Canyon and West Palm.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I'd get them all if I could!

      Delete
  2. A balance of going out and staying in sounds ideal to me! I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow tomorrow I have both a lunch and happy hour and should walk and do an errand........sheesh

      Delete
  3. I'm always amazed at how often people ask, "What do you do all day?" Usually I draw a blank because I'm so busy I can't remember or I've spent the entire day on a creative project that I don't want to owe up to and be labeled 'lazy'. I know, I know, I've got to get over that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have admitted that I read a book in a day once....lol. or maybe more than once,

      Delete
  4. Ooo, I could make do with any of those fabric collections, but if pressed, I'd choose Grand Canyon and Pinkerville...followed super close by West Palm, and of course, those solids would work with any of the others.... :)

    And having summers off (work at a school), I often get comments like, "Must be nice" or "I'd get bored"...it IS nice and I never get bored and it goes by too darn fast! I like a mix of out and about/home all day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont understnad how people can get boreed myself. But my sister in law is convinced she wont know what to do with herself.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you have lots of fun things planned! Reminds me of when my kids were younger and I would look for things for them to do in the summer that would be fun and potentially educational. Always looked for free things or minimally expensive things and the library was a great source for a lot of the stuff we did. Enjoy them all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

  6. +I could never get bored. I like West Palm. I find free things. Sometimes, I just cannot hold up to the walking required.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you. If I'm going to start painting, I need to know I have the whole day ahead of me, without interruption. If I have to go out, I won't start a portrait at all except for maybe a background color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole object to me is to do whatever the hell you want? Want to do nothing - go for it. Want to be social? Go out. Want to learn something new? Take a class? Want a week of reading and pampering? Yes, thank you I will. That is how I see my retirement. A little dabble in the garden, a little reading, anything I damn well want to. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh man, if you graded me for spelling and punctuation I'd have about a d minus

      Delete
  10. It never ceases to amaze me how the calendar fills up. I look at the empty squares at the beginning of a week/month knowing that they won't stay that way. So far this week - volunteer at the concession at the community rec grounds; help my cousin paint her newly acquired house; shopping trip to the city 2 hrs away - that's what wasn't on the calendar when the week started. I love the mix of planned and unplanned; stay home days and out; busy and quiet. Mostly I love having the freedom to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. That two hour drive for shopping must be a bummer though!

      Delete
  11. I wish we had more free activities here - none of our festivals have free admission. Enjoy!

    I have found since I've retired that my social calendar has more entries. I think part of that is due to not being around people all day as I was at work. Like you, I prefer to have my days at home undisturbed so I can focus on my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need silence in order to concentrate these days.

      Delete
  12. I chose Grand Canyon and Pinkerville for you. I like West Palm for me!!!

    My social life is 98% family, 1% friends and 1% WLLO volunteer. I need to balance that out a bit but I did move here for family. They will all be away most of the day starting in September so hopefully I can bring the others up.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the first two on my list. I like west palm but want no neutrals. It can be hard to find a balance. I have learned I need to be with people my general ange and general interests some of the time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!