Monday, April 29, 2019

Monday Musings..

Please note that by the end of the day I'll either have Google comments only or moderation, not sure which. I'm getting repeat comments from our boomer hating friend and I cant be here all the time. I'm honestly beginning to wonder if it's a fellow retiree who regularly posts anon, rather than a non boomer.

Just a quick note for all who used to follow Linda at Practical Parsimony. She's back and with a new blog until (and if) she can log into the old one. I'll try and link to it today or tomorrow!

1. As part of my experiment in events in my WOCA (Women of a Certain Age) group, today we had a ten thirty am coffee and conversation meeting. I expect this won't continue, but we'll give it a months trial each week and continue. I'm also going to try a couple afternoon coffee get together things. These are more low key and have less people than lunch, which is probably why I like them so much.

2. Today,  just to prove that I can cook when I need or want to, I'm making this recipe, with a pork shoulder and regular mushrooms. I mean pork, seasonings, and mushrooms, what's not to like. I don't do gravy, so that will come in a jar. But the weather went down from the seventies to rainy forties for a couple days, and a little comfort food (served with mashed potatoes) sounds good. See, I can cook (in a manner of speaking) if I have to. I just don't particularly like to. But I needed leftovers for tomorrow, and this sounded like the best option at the time.  



Her photo worthy finish with gravy and my poorly lit photo showing right after I put in slow cooker and poured on (splashed on) the broth!


3. I'm well back on track with my knitting, now that I am paying attention. This week I plan to do at least an hour a week, if not two hours on this project-and have to decide what TV shows to watch during said knitting. I'm thinking about starting on White Dragon if anyone has checked that out. My other big project is to actually sit down and do the math (I hate math) to figure out the designs for the T-shirt squares for my daughter. The figuring is the hard part, and then I can get to sewing which is the good part.

4. In two weeks my daughter will be here with her future husband (and my grandpuppiess) to go to son's graduation-and talk with him about the idea of moving to Texas and looking for work there (see below). While they've gotten their own Airbnb, between son's schedule, my handicaps and sister's schedule, this house is in poor shape. Her visit will hopefully get me to do all I can to get our old abode up to par, and to perhaps get a cleaner for half a day.

5 As mentioned above, the weather has dropped from from seventy five to forty for a couple days, with some rain and maybe a two hour snow flurry. While I was not happy to pull out sweaters designated for the cleaner's for the season, Colorado can always use the moisture....and after the warm weather, the trees are in bloom, and the grass needs to be cut.

6. Since I'm traveling the last half of September/first half of October for a month, and looking to schedule that train trip to Chicago, I'm trying to have a fun summer with little cost. So I spent my Sunday afternoon listing all the day trips and cheap overnight trips that I can do/take within my geographic circle if you will. Since I'm behind on sharing all the "exploring the local stuff" on the tab above, I'm going to write out the list and we'll see how many places I can go to/things I can do between now and September. Now to start looking for deals and steals on the most expensive.

7. I made a little spring and summer goal list which I'll post later that has to do with personal things I want to do or learn between now and the fall.

8. I live on a street that dead end's sort of  into an elementary school (not a true dead end, there is a cross street). Mainly good, and on those few snowy/icy days of the year we are the first to be cleaned off. On the other hand, we are also a major high school feeder street. This morning as I listen to the jeeps, small trucks and cars speed over our speed "humps" and screech at the corner., I pray that their parents are making them pay maintenance costs and insurance, because those shocks are gonna need replacing. Sooner rather than later.

9. My son is struggling. Emotionally, financially, physically and otherwise. This is not the kind of thing  the frugal retiree shares, but I'm trying to decide if he needs a life coach/therapist and if he would go to one (this is not a failure to launch issue, this is a stress and self image issue that has not gotten better, but consistently gotten worse). I'd like to believe that a geographic move to Texas and spending time with his sister and her husband are all it would take, but I am no longer sure. This is hurting my heart. I mention this so that if I am distracted or post less, you all will know why. I really cannot post more than that here while respecting his privacy. 

10. In the interest of putting things out there as the Frugal Retiree, I'll be sharing some monthly expenses, past expenses and things like what we spent and what we ate posts at least every couple of weeks. Some of you will be bored, some not. But I did promise to get back to more of the fixed income living stuff as some folks asked, so there we are.

That's all I've got, this Monday afternoon. How about you?

18 comments:

  1. I feel for your son. My grandson is in a similar situation. He does very academically,is extremely trustworthy, and very responsible. However, he has no self confidence when it comes to social and interview situations. He has such anxiety and fails to get many jobs. If he could just get "appointed" he would do fine. Good luck to your son: such an expensive America for young people trying to establish themselves. Rents in our area for a decent place start at $1000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it seems to me worse for young meen, according to what one therapist tells me. He'll work through it, but this is a long how since his dad did over ten years ago and he's never really dig out of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your son's struggles Barbara. I know you'll do your best to give/get him whatever support is needed.

    I'm in the same boat with your No. 4 above... Anytime I have family visiting, I need to give the rooms a more thorough cleaning/decluttering. I have a window replacement estimator coming tomorrow and have to give the house a more thorough cleaning for that. Whew! Does anyone really keep a house cleaned and decluttered all of the time? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a terrible housekeeper, my husband cleaned out home when he was living. I try, using the fly lady method. I'm pretty good on the clutter part but not on actual cleaning and I can no longer do the tub or floor except with long tools. We do what we can, lol

      Delete
  3. I am going to hopefully get the house here into shape before I have my surgery. Today I plan on washing light fixtures and perhaps the hall walls (and the various photos hanging there).

    Our youngest son went through a period of depression awhile back. He slowly seems to be regaining his self worth and happiness. I really don't know if he spoke to anyone about it, but have a feeling a very good friend helped a great deal.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my husband died, I started using a cleaning service once a month. Best money I've ever spent. My house never gets so bad I'm worried about unexpected company which, I think, most crafters do because we tend to get 'involved' and don't pick up. Now, I have a deadline. Once a month I HAVE to pick up so the cleaner can do the floors and make the bathrooms and kitchen sparkle again.

    Sorry your son is struggling. The world we live in churns out stress at every turn, really hard on young people who've never known it to be any different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may consider doing this. Mainly for the places I can no longer reach, health wise, lol

      Delete
  5. Oh, I am with you. I can cook - but hate to cook! Your pork looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very yummy. I would season it more next time and possibly actually make gravy our pour a gravy mix in the pot.

      Delete
  6. Saying prayer for your son. Sons are just so precious, aren't they?
    Always look forward to your posts, and tanks for you planned sharing as to #10

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pork dish looks yummy. I am praying that your son finds his way and more self confidence. My church has a very caring counselor on staff (no charge), someone like that could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately our church does not. He has some options but for now I leave it to him.

      Delete
  10. I remember when my daughter was driving our car to school senior year in high school. We had to replace the muffler twice ... for that very reason. Grrr ... I love her anyway! Hope your son pulls through and does better. I think the boomer hater is some kind of automated message ... I'm hoping marking them as spam will stop them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom as to the hater I agree. I feel after thinking about it that changing my comment policy would be like giving in.

      Delete
  11. I have a 25 year old son who is also struggling and I can so relate. There is a lot of truth to that old chestnut that a Mom is only as happy as her least happy kid! Thinking of you and him. And I love the nuts and bolts frugal posts as a soon(ish) to be frugal retiree myslef!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!