Monday, April 1, 2019

Monday Musings-Exercise and Making and Learning New Things!

What a weekend for basketball, people!  I'm almost always for the underdog, so I'm okay with everything that's happened. A number two seed beat a number one seed, a team that's never been to the final four made it and a team that hasn't been to the final four since the eighties made it. That's what it's all about. And now, after the games next weekend, I'm sportless except for international soccer until September!

I spent the non-basketball part of my weekend retirement budgeting based on post college tuition payments, looking at furniture and furniture sales (although my son probably wont move out immediately, the bistro table in the kitchen will go with him, as well as the on the edge section pieces in our living room, so I'm looking at brown leather, dog friendly sofa sets) and generally chilling.  

Meanwhile......

1.  I signed up for this free class at my local library. At first I thought this program was only for folks older than me, but I've only had two serious falls in the last year and a half and it's two too many-even if one of the falls may have been on uneven pavement (did I mention that I wrote a letter to mall management and they re-did the pavement in front of my happy hour haunt?).  And because of those falls I'm nervous about walking, especially walking on my local paths. I'm hoping this is mainly about exercise and walking techniques. My first class is Tuesday and I'll share how it went, and if I'll continue

2. Originally one my yearly goals was to learn new skills. Then I decided to try and embrace the depth year concept as much as possible. Meaning that instead of new skills I would mainly just jump "deeper" into current hobbies, by taking classes and learning new things. My little patchwork rabbit will be my first foray into machine applique, and along with that I decided to take on a more difficult knitting project (the previously photographed tank top) which required learning a new cast-on and a new stitch-which has also meant spending a good half a day with my old friend Utube. I may still need another day. I also want to take a group afternoon class and make the scene shown below.  




3.  There are two types of creative people. The ones who choose a project and then go out and buy the stuff for said project, and the ones who buy the fabric and yarn and paint and thread and wood pieces and esoteric food they love, ,and decide later how to use it. I am of the latter type. This weekend I sat down and made a list of all the things I could do and make only with stuff on hand, or that I could make with minimal additional purchases. The list is long, my friends. Not as long as it used to be, but long nevertheless. Said even as I purchased yarn this weekend. In my defense, it's a color I need and the handmade tank will still be cheaper than a store bought knitted tank.

I'm now also looking at this pattern from Mamma in a Stitch, only in Lavender! So many patterns, so little time!

4. I love to bake, but only do so at Holidays or other special events. The youth group at my church having a bake sale during coffee hour next weekend (they are also benefiting from charity grocery cards when church members shop). Our youth group has a variety of backgrounds and come from diverse incomes and this is a way to make sure that any youth can go to any event. So far I plan to make some spring cookie bars and mini coffee cake muffins. Because I generally buy crafting materials and groceries at rock bottom prices, making and giving things is another way for me to contribute to the church in ways that are not necessarily "cash" based. While I don't generally pledge, I give in many other ways. Said church also gives layettes to low income mothers and I can see some blankets coming from my "stash".  
I plan to use this recipie from the Simply Stacie blog as one of my bake sale offerings


5.  Spring is here, I'm ready for a fashion change and I need some new clothes. My favorite clothing store has a friends and family special this coming weekend where everything is fifty percent off. I went and put a bunch of things in the "closet" to pick up a week from yesterday. Even at fifty percent off, my spending will probably be at least $150 and possibly more. But I'm trying to put together a coordinated wardrobe, I have clothes that no longer fit, and because I a bunch of clothes at certain times, I have a group of clothing that is in poor shape (too poor to send to goodwill!). Besides, buying at deep discount and from the used market at other times enables me to get the good stuff when I need to. I mean, I'm retired, I'm casual, but I still want to look good-and colorful. You may see a virtual fashion shop after I shop and coordinate my closet this week!  Right now, crop jeans, long cotton sweaters and bright colored shirts are in my closet waiting to be purchased.

6. And finally, my project this week is to figure out how to slowly make my house more "springy" without spending a bundle. I'm on the lookout, inside the house and out, for spring colored accessories, pillows and other decor to welcome the new season-and I want to find or make them for as little as possible. Especially as I a now stashing money away for a month long vacation in September and new leather living room decor. We'll see how low I can go to get what I want!

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE, love the poppy wall hanging!

    I didn't think "dog friendly" and "leather furniture" went together. At least my neighbor's couch is full of puncture holes from toe-nails. Be sure to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to, and Im hoping they still have room in the class! We have a leather couch and there are no issues....Maybe it depends on if it's bonded leather or not? Also our dogs all have huge blankets that they lie on on the couch.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. After a nasty fall it takes a while to get back your confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. and I My daughter who is an OT seems to think that I could use some balance evaluation, so I'll give her some peace.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I wonder if I should take that class (or a class like it). After breaking the same wrist twice I am very leery when walking any where close to being considered icy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I'll let you know here or there once I take the first class tomorrow what i think of the thing.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of the depth year, and so you've got me starting to think about how I could apply it in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened on it by accident, but I liek the idea (except obviously I am adding travel now and making my own adjustment). I belong to a group that recycles and upcycyles leftover fabric remnants and textiles to other things and they passed it on to me.

      Delete
  5. Ooo, I love the poppy project! I had my right knee replaced last December, and at every level of recovery, I've been told to work on balance and avoid falling. I hope the class works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one was introduction and discussions of issues and why we were there and laying the framework. I'm looking forward to the next one where we talk about exercises and confidence and so on.

      Delete
  6. A fall is bad news no matter how young or old you are, that's for sure. Taking that class is wise! So far in my retirement, I have taken up two new things -- tai chi and playing bridge. It's so lovely to have time to do new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I thought I was going to learngolf this year, but we'll see. I already have sooo many things.

      Delete
  7. I'd like to see a pic of that cute bunny hanging when it's all done!
    Those cookie bars you pictured look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they do, but I have to make em and give em or I'd eat all the mnms. The applique on the bunny is done, now time to do the tail..

      Delete
  8. I bought a true leather recliner when I got my dog and the leather holds up beautifully. Just be sure not to buy bonded leather, but rather natural leather. I like your planning, and also your learning deeper into your hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!