Friday, February 15, 2019

Asking the Readers...Chicago, Chicago!!




Today I am reaching out to readers, near and far. One of my goals for February was to completely plan one rail trip (I'm aiming for more than one this year), and for the past couple of days I have been working on a train trip to Chicago.

And today, I want to hear from you, the readers, what you would consider your musts, musts nots, what you loved, hated and everything in between. From where to go, where to eat, and what to see.

So far, my train would arrive in Chicago on 2 PM on Thursday, and depart on 2 PM on Monday-both at the beginning of June.  So I have three full days to eat, drink, tour and be merry, and I'm not yet sure how I'll fill those two half days. I suspect it may depend on where I stay (a downtown hotel or an Airbnb or VRBO, which are more likely). 




Below is my tentative plan so far, but it's just a plan.So friends and visitors, hit me, hit me, and hit me gain.  Just realize that there is no way I am doing the 360, looking down through glass, or probably going up in the wheel. I do want to eat in some really good restaurants and I do plan to get Theater tickets. Wrigley Feld is not on this list. Will I regret not going in June?

Thursday-Arrive at 2 PM, find hotel, explore and find a good restaurant

Friday-Tentative plan to do a two hour Van tour, have lunch and be outside for awhile and then take a boat tour

Saturday-Tentative Plan to go to the  Aquarium and the Field Museum

Sunday-Tentative plan to go to the Art Institute and spend the rest of the day outside-Michigan ave, Navy Pier, whatever.

Monday-no plan yet for the morning

For my frugal followers, I have subscribed to a website called Chicago on the Cheap, as well as a couple visiting Chicago on a Budget type web pages.  The aquarium is the really expensive thing on the list (other than theater tickets and on really good restaurant) so I'm interested in hearing the value-and other tightwad ideas as well as what to see!

I look forward to everything my readers have to share..........the good and the bad!



17 comments:

  1. Google "chicago festivals calendar" - Chicago has great festivals all summer and you should have a couple to choose from

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've visited a few times and Michigan Ave, the Pier and food experiences such as the deep dish pizza and caramel popcorn that I ate all the way back and enjoyed. One place I loved is Eatery a multiple level store/restaurants that is so fun to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look up the eatery. I think I need to allow almost a full day to be outside at the pier and michigan avenue and millenial park.

      Delete
  3. If you are near Wrigley Field, this place is awesome. I drive to that area just to eat there. Southport Grocery & Cafe. https://southportgrocery.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wrigley area is one that I am looking at Airbnb as we speak-godo to know!

      Delete
  4. Exciting! Chicago is a great city except for the weather, but you’’ll be there at a good time. I would suggest the Museum of Science and Industry on the South Side if that is your interest- it’s a great museum. Robie House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, is not that far away. On the campus or very close to the University of Chicago. Far uptown on the South Side is the Pullman District. Back in the Loop, check out the cultural center at the corner of Randolph and Michigan, it is a beautiful building and was once the Chicago Public Library. Chicago is also a great music city, but it’s been too long since I lived there, so no current recommendations. If the Chicago Reader - free newspaper- has survived, it would have a lot of current information. Above all, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping June will be a good weather time...I can change if needs be. Science yes, but old stuff and artifacts more! Thank you for the newspaper suggestion, I will check it out. I am realy looking forward.

      Delete
  5. Do the Chicago River architecture tour. (Chicago native here). Navy pier is pretty awful unless you like chain restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I plan to do the River tour on the same day as the van tour-one morning and one afternoon.

      Delete
  6. I agree on the architecture tour. Assume you've looked up the CTA site to see where the L runs. Something different: Believe the L runs to Northwestern University in Evanston ... it's a nice campus to visit, and shouldn't be too crowded in June. There's also Chinatown and Greektown if you're into those cuisines. And of course, there's pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not as yet, and I need to check if they are flat or require stps up and down. Im prepared to do some Lyfting and am adding that to the budget. I'm getting lots of good ideas here!

      Delete
  7. I've only been to Chicago twice, both times for a cpl of days, so I know almost nothing about the city. I did take the cross country train once. A great way to travel -- no stress, lots of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im looking forwardto the train part of it immensly!!

      Delete
  8. I was in Chicago for about the same amount of time as you last summer and did (and thoroughly enjoyed) some of the things you are looking at --Art Institute, Millenium Park, River Walk, Architectural Tour, Magnificent Mile were all great, and doable in one day. I would suggest taking one day to get out of the core downtown area and visit one of the close-in neighborhoods. We stayed in Ukrainian Village (Air BnB) and loved seeing the parks, little restaurants and shops, churches etc. We also walked around Humboldt Park which is near there but a little west and adjacent to the Puerto Rican area -- great restaurants! There's an easy bus (straight shot) from the Ukrainian Village area to the downtown core/Michigan Ave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am still looking at the various opportunities for airbnb, I probably will taking uber not a bus because of my issues, so I can be a little bit out!

      Delete
  9. I am always a fan of taking the Hop On Hop Off bus tour in a new-to-me big city. i do it upon arrival. You get a tour with lots of history, insight and you can determine must-dos based on what you like.

    I won't mention what others have already. I do suggest a 5PM cocktail at the Signature Room in the Hancock center. View if the city is amazing from the 95th floor. I had a cocktail and desert in the bar. It is truly breathtaking.

    I am a Frank Lloyd Wright fan so thoroughly enjoyed the time spent there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!