Monday, October 8, 2018

Monday Morning-Shopping Online and Making Changes

I'm finally taking the plunge. For those who remember this discussion, I've made the big decision. Tomorrow is my haircut day, and I won't be coloring afterward. I'll be half and half for awhile as the white grows out, but at least the change over won't be as long as if my hair were longer. With really short hair (which I intend to keep), my hair gets cut at least every four weeks, which requires color equally often, and I'm tired of it. Add to that the fact that well, I'm 67. It's not like it will make me look anything other than my age. If I hate it when it grows out, I can simply start again, but meanwhile that saves me time, energy, and ten dollars a month-and I expect to like it, honestly!

Meanwhile, when it comes to my clothing, apparently I am going through a phase, or else my fashion choices are drastically changing or both. As I went through my clothing this past week, I realized that most of what I pull out and choose first to wear are things that are longer and tunic like, as opposed to the short silky style shirts and cardigans that were my thing for years. You might think it was the opposite, since I have lost weight and am working out, but I am embracing mainly bright, longer styles in everything from sweaters to sweatshirts.

This is fairly a new thing for me. mind. Granted that I went much more casual upon retirement, leaving the dress for success, suits, and stockings behind, but there wasn't that much style change. Who knew, I guess this is the new me. 

Too bright??

At $20, this bottom sweater is my trial order from Zulily.com. One of the reasons they are so cheap is that they wait and then order from the company so there is a longer turnover time, but I am fine with that. I'll let you know later in the month how this turns out. I already have accessories to go with this as well as tanks for underneath.

Obviously, I cannot go out and buy a whole new wardrobe-even just for my upper half-nor would I want to. What I have done is spent time perusing online, from online thrift stores like Swap.com and Thred up.com, to Amazon, to the sale departments of a couple of my favorite stores to Zulily.com, which I just discovered. Let me just say that if I am happy with my first order, I may have found a new friend. 

Some folks  are not fans of online shopping, some because they cannot find what they want, some because of the lack of returns, and some because of the philosophical aspect. When it comes to the latter, I've pretty much decided that as long as the stores themselves are offering cheaper prices online than in their stores, and free shipping to said stores, I'm gonna take advantage of that.

 While it's not a top, this past weekend I purchased this purse online from Kohl's. I was looking for a purse that fit some specific needs (it had to hold the calendar/journal/diary  that literally goes everywhere with me, as well as have a section for card slots so I could leave the wallet behind, for example). I found this one below. Because I picked up at a special entrance near my car (avoiding walking through said store), I did not get to compare the in store prices, but I expect that the in store price was likely the one shown. I however, paid $21.00 after taxes due to online only discounts. And shipping was free, and I waited to pick up said item at a time convenient to me and near my errands.




I do know that some retailers are having issues, and some stores are being closed. But using this place as an example, I have four stores in four directions, just five miles from my house. Do they NEED that many stores? And unlike myself, I expect most people who end up doing store pickups wander around afterward and very possibly end up with in store purchases (part of the reason they offer free ship to store, I am sure). When it comes to local, independent stores, I will always choose them first, be it my local bookstore, fabric store, coffee shop, boutique or something else. But otherwise,  I have no qualms about shopping online be it Macy's or Amazon. I get better prices, without leaving my house and that works for me. Because I hate shopping, need to save money and face it, am lazy.  

Add caption


Yep, I'm even looking at long sweatshirts.

As for those long tops/sweaters (which I can still wear with my thin yoga pants, leggings and jeans) I have a few on my list, so that I can every so slowly get rid of my short tops, or at least put them aside for now. The only question is, can I wear those shorter cardigans over the lighter weight tunics?  I suppose not.





23 comments:

  1. Pretty tops. How do these longer tops work with your coats? That is something I haven't worked out. BTW, I am finding that as my hair grays I need softer colors and the bright ones overwhelm me. All you see is the bright not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear longer coats and coatigan/heavy cardigans as opposed to jackets so that part is not an issue. I admit that could become a problem with the gray although those coloring type people say that your colors are always your colors. For what it's worth, my hiar is true white as opposed to off color if that makes any sense. I will probably have to start adding some blush on occasion as well.

      Delete
  2. I stopped coloring my hair 5 years ago. It was long and took almost 4-1/2 years to grow out. Now I just love it. I get questioned all the time about which salon I go to for my highlights. I tell them Mother Nature's and it's free. Let us know how Zulily turns out. I do most of my shopping online because it's a 2 hour drive to any major city for shopping. Love the tops you've chosen. My own tastes have pretty much gone the same way. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I will like zulily. If it took four years to grow out I would probably never do it. Since I see the hairdresser every three to four weeks, I am hoping this will go quicklu.

      Delete
  3. I still am hanging in there with the hair color but not for much longer I fear. And I have purchased from Zulily before. I find that I need a size up on some things so be aware of their sizing. It is different every time for me. I LOVE shopping online because I hate to schlep through stores and who has time for that nonense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I'm deliberately waiting for this item to come before ordering from them again.

      Delete
  4. I am with you about loving the longer tunic tops - I can wear skinny leg jeans, leggings, etc. just about everywhere from contemporary worship services to my accounting job. I have a lot of shorter tops too and am holding on to the ones I love but not the rest. I am sure that it is no accident that the fashion industry fairly regularly swings back and forth from short to long tops so we keep buying...I am what marketing calls a "late adapter" but I always come around eventually as I do love trendy clothes even at my age of 65......it makes me feel younger I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually stick to a single classic style and have for years but lately I'm embracing the different, lol.

      Delete
  5. I like to shop the local independent stores myself and fortunately I have a lot of them in my neighbourhood. I also do a lot of shopping on line and it pays to buy more then get free shipping (mostly but not always the returns are also free shipping). I always try to get online purchases on a huge reduction or sale. So far, not bad. I've learned to rein in my impulse purchases for clothing and my style is also changing. I like the longer tunic style too. More comfortable I think. Have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your decision to quit dying your hair! You will love the freedom. And since your hair is short, it won't take long. I thought of myself as a tabby cat with multiple colors during my transition. Somehow that helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the correct spelling is dyeing.

      Delete
    2. Yes, deinitely striping while I grow it out.We'll see if I love it or if I go back, time will tell.

      Delete
  7. Dying hair and keeping it up is such a pain in the neck. Even highlights and lowlights are too time consuming now. You were lucky to find a service that would do it for just $10 a month. Short gray hair with a great pair of glasses is the new thing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? I was coloring it myself every month, that was the cost of the box of coloring-and the few old towels that I reuse over and over.

      Delete
  8. I have toyed with idea of letting my hair grow out to its natural shiny white state.. but am scared of the grow out time and how I would look.I need to find one of those programs online that let. You “try on” hair color. I also wear my hair very short. Good for you.Keep us posted! Clothes: I wish I could give up shopping completely, as I really have enough of everything but since I can’t I. Only allow myself to shop at TURNSTYLE which is a local consignment store that is huge, and has many many current choices, all very inexpensive.I also recycle by bringing my old clothes in for sale,so I can get a few new things here and there for “free.” Purses too.. RIght now I am trying to make a goal of “NO NEW CLOTHES FOR A YEAR!!”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big loose tunic type tops are so comfy and when I feel bloated just hide it. I can't go grey yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. May hair started to grey in my thirties. I used henna for many years and hated the red it turned on the grey as the henna permeated the hair that had not pigment. I left it and within a few years it was white. I can't count the number of compliments I've received over the years. There's nothing easier than short white hair that has been cut to perfection. Like you, I get a cut every 3 to 4 weeks. Enjoy the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tunics and longer sweaters. They hid my bum nicely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tunics are attractive. I lprefer long length tops below the hips but not as long as tunics, but don’t see them as much as I might like. Maybe I just haven’t found any sites.

    I’m a strong proponent for aging naturally. Will be interesting to see how you adjust. There is a name for the two color hair that some people deliberately seek with dying, so you’ll be in style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!