Monday, January 29, 2018

Preparing For My Semi Monthly Big Shop (and all the cash back apps I use to earn rewards)

Whew!! Sometime in the past week or so, reader Jackie commented that the rule about colds were that it took a week to arrive in full, it hung around a week and then it took seven days to leave. Or that general idea. Let me tell you friends, I am so very ready for this cold to leave.

Today I left the house for the first time went and volunteered (sitting at a desk for three hours), went on a twenty minute or so walk-and I am exhausted. I can say I walked more than a thousand steps for the first time in two weeks. But I am ready to cocoon again! I've read three books in the past week, and I'm ready for another one. Someone please remind me why I even bother to read John Grisham books any more-talk about going way downhill!

Within the next couple days, it''ll be payday for us federal retirees and families (and military folks as well I expect). Since I pretty well divide the month in half (SS on second Wednesday and my pension on the last day of the month),  I try very hard to make these two days be my big errand and shopping days, and just do the absolute necessities in between. Considering my health, in this case I will happily divide said errands up between at least two days, rather than my usual "leave after breakfast and home by dinner". I don't do that schedule because I'm filled with energy by the way. I do it because I consider errands and shopping the devil's work and want to get it over as quickly as possible. I'll get my exercise and socialization some other way, thank you!

Wednesday's "need to do list' includes getting yarn and fabric for projects, getting the supplies to make valentine's cookies, getting my hair cut, getting a new bottom sheet (I sleep European style with a futon/quilt and no top sheet) and replacing a piece of "Tupperware".  I also need some basic groceries (I won't know what until the ads come out on Wednesday and I see the loss leader options) and some monthly replenishments of toothpaste, facial wipes and the like. I also need to hit the thrift store, if only to drop off the many bags of donations in the back of my car.

Which means either this  afternoon after I recover recovering from my first day "out', or at least tomorrow morning, I need to prepare my route as well as my list-both to maximize my efficiency and to make sure that I get every reward or cash back on any product I plan to buy. Because invariably, many of the things I buy will have cash back or rewards from more than one site or app-and I would kick myself if  had the wrong receipt, product, or size!

*** I never buy things I cannot use. If something is free or close to free, I do however purchase it for donations. Which is why I look for deals on kids and baby stuff as well. And since I know I have some fellow frugal/cheapskate/tightwad types among my readers I should probably add that I don't do drugstores, hardly ever. It requires an extra stop, I don't have a CVS with me and I have not the patience to deal with things like Plenti points. I want the cash back, or the points to earn gift cards. You can keep the rest.***

In other news, our city has a "tree sale" each year, with a variety of trees. They are very cheap and the only requirements are they the trees must be planted within the city of Littleton. While I am the gal with the black thub, apparently we ordered a Chanticleer Pear tree for $50, and that's a good deal. Oh, and I got my final tax form in the mail today. Which is not good news as such, because unless I've had a very unhealthy year, I always owe money. And I'll take the owing money over the bad health year. Anytime.

And now, on to the cash back,  money earning apps. For those who are interested. Please note that most of these are apps, and not "buy through" websites.  I do all my online purchasing through the Swagbucks portal because I believe their rewards are higher. Some of these apps, require a receipt that is photographed. Some require a linked card. I have no problem linking a card and have never had a problem. A couple of them require you attach your "customer card" in order to reap the benefits. Some of these apps payout in cash to Paypal, and some pay out in gift cards. And a few of them do pay cash back for online purchases-if you go through their mobile app.

Because I know someone will ask, I have never had my card compromised. I'm not uncomfortable with people knowing that I purchase mini cokes weekly, or that my preferred brand of hair color is Garnier. And while I get probably an email every other day or so from each app, I consider that a small price to pay. Last year, my sister in law purchased all her husbands gifts (a video game, clothing, a trip, and so on), from the rewards from just one of these apps. So yea, they can email me!

And last, but not least, "stacking" is good thing. What do I mean by that? I mean getting more than one reward for the same item, and/or combining with a coupon. This week, two of these apps have a one dollar rebate an Harvest stone whole wheat crackers. By purchasing a single box for three dollars, I will get two one dollar rebates from two different apps. Making the box of crackers 89 cents. And then, since I'll buy these at Safeway , I'll get eight points towards my gift card goal for every dollar I spend. And so it goes...........

Ibotta App: App that gives you money back for buying a variety of things, from food and personal products to clothes. It pays out in cash, and requires scanned receipts for payouts, or that you go through their app to order. Online options include stores like Bed Bath and Beyond and sites like Blue Apron, just for starters. No card linking, just receipt scanning

Ibotta offers for my local King Soopers(Kroger)


Drop App: Drop is an app that gives you points back for every dollar you spend at certain stores-which then can be cashed in for gift cards. As the guy on Project Runway, says, however, choose well. Because you're allowed to pick up five stores-and so far there is no system in place to change out said stores. My stores are Target, Walmart, Safeway, Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts. Because donuts. And hot chocolate. They also have special deals on a regular basis for places like Boxed, Ulta, Whole Foods and other stores. This requires a card link. 

A page showing that I earn eight points for a dollar (five thousand points being a five dollar card) when I use my linked card with Safeway!


Fetch Rewards:  Fetch is an app again, that gives you points for certain items you buy. And has a list of about ten items each week for which they give out extra points. Points are then translated to gift cards. Receipts are scanned/phographed.

Dosh App:  The Dosh app rewards you for non-grocery shopping, like restaurants, the Hallmark shop, and the like. In my immediate area it gives cash back at Burger King, Denny's, the local Mediterranean grill, Hallmark, my neighborhood Indian restaurant, my neighborhood  ribs place, Dickeys and Sam's club. Requires a linked card.

Checkout 51:  Another app that rewards you for mainly groceries and personal products and home products-things you're liable to find in a grocery or that section of Target or Walmart. Checkout 21 pays out in cash and their list of rebates change out Wednesday ad midnight. Receipts only.

ShopkickWhile this is not a cash back app as such, Shopkick is worth adding to the list-because it rewards you for simply walking into stores.  That's right, you simply open the app, and get points in many stores. Just for walking in the door. Shopkick also gives you points for scanning items in stores (I don't do this) and in some stores they, like Drop, offer points for shopping. And also rewards points for online shopping at some stores when done through their website.

And there you have it. The list of apps I use to get money back for money spent. Be it through gift cards or cash. These are not the only cash back apps. They are the ones that I use, and I think the  most efficient.  Someday I'll do a "haul" post. But not this week, I expect.

My King Soopers app-where  loa coupons directly to my rewards card.


And finally, before I log off of this portion of the post, it goes without saying that almost every.single.store has an app. And each one has coupons and occasional rebates. King Soopers, Safeway, Target, Joanne's, Kohl's, Walgreen's. All have their own app, and their own coupons and deals. Which of course, will add additional savings. As will the apps from movie theaters, restaurants like Re Lobster and The Outback and more. But that's a different story. For a different time.

14 comments:

  1. No need to publish this but I think you meant to type Checkout 51, not 21. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure did, gotta fix that one!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Barbara! As usual, I've learned about a few new ways to generate semi-passive income. (Just waiting for the apple trade-in rebate on my old ipad to use towards a new phone with better memory, purchased on a rewards site and powered through my discount carrier...),
      I do occasionally earn shopkick points by scanning items, when I have the time and am in the mood -they add up pretty quickly.

      Delete
    3. I should probbly scan more often than I do, I do however do the receipt thing.

      Delete
  2. I'm always amazed at the time I spend completing the "to do" list when I go to town - find a replacement handle for the crockpot lid, drop off & pic up at the glass repair shop, hair cut, grocery shopping, post office stop, fuel up, recycle stop etc. I spend 3-4 hrs getting the to-do list done and think back to preretirement days when I used to spread it out over 5 days at lunch breaks and after work rather than consolidated as I do now. I'm not a big coupon/app user but I do watch for the best sale items. The sale items also make the food bank donation. I'm convinced you had more than a cold; a "man" cold at the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps even a tad of the flu, since the flu shot covers about ten percent they say this year. Who knows.

      Delete
  3. I have started to use the app for my regular grocery store. I couldn't on my old phone, but this new one is great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I earned $2, maximum for just scanning, in one trip. I felt good and was in the mood. I try to do this when WM is not full to the gills. I should do it more often. But, they said I could only do that once a month or something, so I lost interest. I need to keep a book for all the apps so I won't forget when I can go back to just scanning for points on places like shopkick. $2 is not much, but I used it for bananas and something else, so I spent no money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I just open the app before my shopping trip (admittedly live near stores) and ten decde my route really quickly). I'm not a huge planner, only when I absolutely have to be.

      Delete
  5. The company nowadays insist their customers take part in the survey.
    As it is beneficiary to the customers and company both, even I suggest you take participate in the Walgreens survey.
    I have taken part in many of the surveys and believe me the company of every brand like restaurants, supermarkets,
    and malls offers something exciting in return.
    Share your experience and help the company to overcome their negative services that will turn into a positive one.







    Walgreens survey






    Walgreens Customer Satisfaction Survey





    Walgreens Feedback Survey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.

    kroger feedback 50 fuel points survey

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is one of the largest coffee and baked goods chains in the world,
    with more than 12,000 restaurants in 36 countries.
    The chain’s products include doughnuts, bagels, other baked goods,
    and a variety of hot and iced beverag


    dunkinnation survey


    dunkinnation.com for product offers and news

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!