Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Frugal Retiree's Fall Bucket List

Today is one of those rare days when I  am suffering for my night owlish-ness. Such suffering will be worth it in the long run (the reason for my seven am awakening was the fact that we are getting new basement window wells as well as a couple of egress windows). In the short term however...ouch

In other news, the fall equinox is today. So I get to actually put out and photograph all that fall decor! Of course, blog wise, I got the jump by a day, since I updated to some fall "blog decor" the other day. The weather seems to sense that fall has officially arrived, because while we still have  eighty degree weather for a couple more days, then we go down to a more "fallish" seventy and sixty degree range. Although this close to the sun, on clear days, that seventy still feels like eighty.

Meanwhile, I think it's time for a bucket list for fall. This list is mainly about me, doing things for me, or just plain fun things-for the most part. I've not included regular habits or things like that, mainly because I've started a journaling system and write about those daily. It also doesn't include any travel other than day trips as it looks like I'm gonna be nursemaid for a full month somewhere between now and Christmas. 

My son is waiting on call backs for surgery scheduling while he decides what the best time in terms of Business school, and how long he can live with the pain. If there are any professor/instructor types reading this, should not being in a sling for three weeks qualify for some kind of assistance via typing? This year's classes including almost all IT related classes and this is his typing hand.  My Christmas travel plans may get shot if he decides to live with said pain until the winter break (plus I doubt he can go that long with the pain and lack of sleep).

And finally, while winter begins the 21st of December, I do have some "Christmas goals" that you will see at the bottom. Cause in this house, Christmas prep begins the day after Thanksgiving. 

And so, onward and forward to Autumn!

1.  Take that previously discussed four day weekend-when I am not doing things for the guy with no working arm or helping the guy recover from surgery on said arm!

2.  Take at least one class on a new to me art or sewing technique

3.  Make five pumpkin recipes

4. Go to the Botanic gardens when the fall leaves and flowers are fully in bloom

5. Knit one fall thing for me and make one fall piece of jewelry (and perhaps sew the a fall decor piece),

6. Take five one day outings between now and the holidays-Oktoberfest and some Christmas Markets in the mountains are on the list.

7. Go to a play at the downtown arts center

8. Continue bullet journaling (more later-best thing I've done in years) and begin bible/prayer journaling

9. Organize my closet for the fall/early winter season and see what I need to put on my wish list.

10. Get a more organized bedtime routine in place-because even a night owl needs a system for slowing down in the evening. Especially when she lives with non-night owl types.

11. Assuming either the Rangers or the Rockies get into the play-offs start looking for tickets. In both locations after season ticket holders are chosen, there is generally a lottery.  All this, of course,  is dependent on team performance!!  


Christmas bucket list:

1. Make a gingerbread house or similar decoration

2. Make Christmas jewelry

3. Go to the Nutcracker ( missed it last two years because of travel and illness)

4. Attempt to document all the Christmas ornaments including the ones given to offspring as to where they came from and meanings they may have and so on and so forth.

5. Think about having a Christmas cookie exchange party (again, my fall and early Christmas are still dependent on so many things when it comes to my injury issues and son's upcoming surgery).   


And there you have it. I've kept this list short and sweet, at least for me. Fall is my  main sewing and crafting season and I spend a great deal more time in my studio (to the point that I am using my friendly Alexa device to remind me to get up and exercise after forty minutes). I have not included any "habit" type stuff like do yoga every day both because those are fairly entrenched and because I journal them every day. And finally, there is pretty much nothing about the house. Because other than continuing to decide whether to repair our pergola or turn it into an outside "gal cabin" and getting the fireplace checked out, that can all wait until the early spring.

I'm working on some major updates post URL loss/replace on the blog, and hope to be able to link up to other bloggers and their lists soon. Meanwhile, do go check out Tamara and Jodi and their fall goals, as well as those links from other bloggers.

And now, it's Thursday cooking night, and I am off to get the ingredients for a baked potato bar-in all it's glory!!


27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting a jump on the season. Here in PA it's above 80 degrees so it's hard to believe that summer is over. Hope all goes well with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be out of eighty degrees very shrortly. I don't love the cold, but seventes will be welcom.

      Delete
  2. Summer is definitely over here and the Fall temperatures arrived suddenly. I haven't adjusted yet and I'm not yet making plans and goals. I hope to catch up soon. You are doing well with all your plans and goals.

    I'm very sorry to hear about your son's injury and resulting issues. The only advice I can think of is someone, maybe you, can volunteer to attend classes with him and take notes until his arm is better. I know that is not so easy to arrange. All the best to him and to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea,this is all it. No note taking, all programming and so on. We're working on it.

      Delete
  3. Best of luck to your son. My laptop has voice input software, is it possible this school has this? Or his? Seems like he'd be eligible some accommodation. Our weather went from hot and smoky to 55 and raining for a few days. Kind of a shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not mind some rain or wind, we have some moderate haze from the smoke. We'll see what CU says.

      Delete
  4. Good luck to your son!

    Great items on your fall bucket list!

    Have a wonderful fall!

    Andrea
    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 pumpkin recipes?? Wow...that's impressive. I was thinking of trying some pumpkin ice cream. Wanna try together??
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! And one of the others will be a breakfast cookie. As long as it doesnt involve coffee in any form I am peachy

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I make personal product sets (bath salts and body scrubs and such) so I have to make some of those pumpkiny as well.

      Delete
    3. Pumpkin ice cream? Oh, I am so in! I have a Cuisanart ice cream maker that works like a dream, so all I need is a good recipe!

      Delete
    4. Pumpkin is it's own food group-just saying.

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm loving the pumpkin recipe idea and the four day break. Good for you having a Christmas bucket list started as well. Enjoy!
    Sue xx
    www.sizzlingtowardssixty.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I dont have a Christmas bucket list, it'll be here and I wont have done anything, lol.

      Delete
  7. Summer is over here. The nights are very cool, the days either clear and cool or cloudy, cool and windy. The trees are losing there leaves very quickly.

    You have a great fall bucket list. I would love to see The Nutcracker.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, tickled you figured out how to do the Autumn Bucket List link up - it is such fun. Love your Autumn list in that it reflects your lovely Colorado lifestyle. The holiday day trips sound wonderful, as does the cookie exchange. I've done cookie exchanges for years, and they are such fun and, really, pretty easy holiday entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am still getting back in the groove blog wise I'm finding. The only problem with a cookie exchange is that Imake so many kinds for giving eac eyar that there really arent too many surprises for me, lol.

      Delete
  9. I'm inspired to put out the fall decorations. In NE Alberta, there's been frost with some snow in other regions. Harvest is under way. The tomatoes are ripening in the basement; I've already made a batch of salsa and chutney. I was gifted 6 spaghetti squash. I tried a "spaghetti lasagna" and it was delicious. Yes, Christmas is only 3 months away. I've bought the first present in anticipation. I like the change of seasons. After the rush of spring, summer and fall, snow means slow. But I can wait for at least another month for that snow! I did a summer bucket list and completed most of those items. I like the goal setting; it helps to ground my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you with the Christmas gift thing. I've bought nothing yet, but making, yes, I'm making. Im finding that as low key a planner as I am, I stil like some goal planning.

      Delete
  10. A baked potato party sounds great. I'll be right over!!

    Do you ever not get to each number on your lists? Please tell me you miss one or two to make me feel better about myself Barbara. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. On Thursdays I do a "light" meal at my church in between a servce and a program. The baked potato bar is the most popular ting I do each year, followed only by the Hawaiian style ham and cheese sliders. Yes, I often fail in my goals. I made 21 in the summer and that was way too many. Like the guy in the movie says, it's a guideline not a rule. Having said that, this is mainly fun stuff I want to do (barring the entertaining and organizing both of which I am not sure about) so I think most goals will be met

      Delete
  11. Can't wait to see what your pumpkin recipes will be. I'm working on a pumpkin spice latte, so maybe I'll find some inspiration of things to eat with it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fall, and your bucket list sounds great. I'm glad to see the pumpkin recipes on there. I hope you will share them with us on your blog. Good luck to you and your son. Make sure you take good care of yourself while you're caring for him.

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely. I will share them. I hope to try one out this week for my Monday night cook.

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for linking up with us! We will be sharing our official winter lists on 11/21, if you would like to join in then with another look at what you have already shared above.

    So funny how we all embrace pumpkin recipes and goodies for fall. Poor pumpkin waits all year for it fleeting moments of fame.

    Hope you are able to realize your plans for the four day trip. We are going to be traveling a lot in October. I have mixed feelings about it. For me, there's no place like home.

    Would love to have you share some of your recipes! Maybe we could do some kind of holiday baking link-up? Like a virtual cookie exchange? Let me know if you would like to do that with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to. As I continue to recover my blog I also hope to install what I need to share links at the bottom, one day at the time. If I do not get the trip in the fall, I'll take a four day side trip to Santa fe after Christmas. I am traveling less than I used to, Generally a couple trips a year. I've turned into a homebody, and there's lots to do here in Denver and where my daughter lives in Texas. I lOVE idea of a baking linkup.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!