Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Knitting and Sewing and Sewing and Knitting-Retirement Style

Sorry folks, but by now I think you know that at least once a week in the fall, you're gonna get a reference to football. In this case, the Colts lost in overtime, the Redkskins actually won a game and the Bronco's kicked the Cowboys all the way back to Dallas. Which means the girls are happy as can be. My son and son-in-law on the other hand?  Cryin' in their beer.

Officially, fall is not yet here. In fact, there are a bunch of decorations setting on the small table in the fireplace room, as well as fall quilts patiently waiting to get set out - supposedly we're waiting for "real fall" or the equinox, but the truth is I haven't had the energy yet to decide exactly what goes where (things do not remain the same from year to year around here!). 

Yes, you can see my messy kitchen table in all it's glory!

My patio is also loving our Colorado indian summer. Nights in the fifties and days in the mid eighties means that every thing has perked up everyhwere!  And yes, the little white dog is loving it as well!




I've  been working on my fall bucket list, which I'll post in the next couple of days, along with a bunch of other bloggers. This fall, my list is mainly about fun and pampering me (with the exception of a few things). Fall fun, after all.

Meanwhile, Tuesday is a day I don't "leave home", except for my workout time (which is on hold through  physical therapy).Today I spent the morning chilling and searching the web.  This afternoon?  I hope to be a little more energetic.  As part of my mainly zero based Christmas (more about that later), I've begun working on those handmade gifts I'll giving both to others and myself this year. I've slowly been working on the "big project", that triple nine patch quit. Since I want a huge amount of variety in the different small squares, I have been buying lot's of small amounts of vintage fabrics. Once the strips are done, I can move on.  




I've also purchased some lovely alpaca yarn, and right now I am trying to chose between various shawl patterns for my sister.  Is alpaca cheap?  No, but this shawl will be made by me and singificantly cheaper than a store purchased alpaca shawl in a boutique. I also plan another shawl for my sister in law, and one for mysef. I'm making a long, rectangle shawl/wrap for me because that's more my style-and honestly, warmer on those cold days. Occasionally even the Frugal Retiree opts for long term quality at the price, and so it is with these projects.




A free pattern found on the Lion Brand website

I forgot to share with you all that I did finish my green mini shawl/wool and alpaca scarf, and am now on the search in thrift stores for the perfect pin to hold it in place. It just happened that the way the scarf was knit put the striations of the yarn at a perfect angle. I decided I would rather have a slightly larger scarf and an even edge in this case than a lacy edge that used more yarn.




And last but not least, last year I  made four different Christmas table runners that I never finished or sold through my little Facebook page. This year, those will most likely be family gifts as I finish them-accompanied by luxurious homemade bath sets if I get the time (officially one one side of the family we draw names for one large gift, but I like to give something small to each family group or household as well). 




And there you have it, my Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning creative options. Which project to begin today? I'm thinking this afternoon I'll spend some time on that vintage quilt, and knit tonight. It'll be an excuse to watch some TV with no meaningful value (translation: the mindless enjoyment of whaterver Britsh cop show I choose next)

11 comments:

  1. I really like the runner. It will brighten up any corner you use it in.

    I have knit the Lion Brand shawl pattern you show numerous times. It is nice and warm for those cooler mornings and evenings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, have you ever made their tea and sympathy shawl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't but now I am going to have to take a look at it. Thanks for mentioning it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful projects! I'm curious what British cop shows you're into. We just discovered Shetland on Netflix. I'd read a few of the books ,but didn't realize there was a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Shetland is great. I would also reccoment the Midsommer murders, River, Happy Valley, Luther and of course Sherlock if you havent read it. Death in Paradise is a black comedy about a british uptight cop sent to a carribean island. I just finished the show Paranoid. Hey this could be a blog by itself>

      Delete



    2. Add "Hinterland" to the list. Filmed in Wales, very dark but well done.

      Delete
    3. Ripper Street is another good one, as well as Father Brown.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I'm hoping Happy Valley comes back soon with a new season. Never tried River, Ripper Street or Paranoid so I'll check those out. All the others I've watched, although have a few episodes left of DIP and Hinterland. If you haven't seen Scott and Bailey, I highly recommend it. I'm savoring the last few episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first comment came up as Anonymous. Not sure why.

      Delete
    2. I do have to add that Luther is a bit more violent than some of the others, but I could watch Idris Elba scrape paint, so thats just fine.

      Delete
  5. I love your patio oasis - I could see myself enjoying a good book out there. In the fall, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!