Saturday, January 28, 2023

Valentines Came Early!


I am a fan of all the holidays. I mean, I have a three foot tree right now with red and white lights on it and little stuffed hearts in all colors. My kids used to get green eggs and ham on Dr Seuss’s birthday, if you know what I mean. 


Still need to put pictures back up and remove the last of Christmas but onto the next holida!


Still, I am not an over the top person when it comes to romantic or anniversary type holidays. My husband’s and my birthday were a week apart, with our anniversary in between and we usually settled for a nice meal or something similar to celebrate all the events. My husband was an action rather than a gifter when it came to love languages, so I was more likely to get good food and find something rearranged, built or cleaned until sparkling on Valentine’s day as opposed to flowers and a box of chocolate.


Nevertheless, I was more than happy to let my darling daughter pick me up last night and take me to one of our few truly gourmet restaurants last night. And I loved the fact that she handed me a Valentine’s gift bag full of goodies. 


I went to this place on my birthday.  A place that seats only about twenty and takes reservations for a month on one day and is usually sold out within minutes of opening for said month, and that I had been to only once before. Last night’s meal did not include rabbit, or any other game.  I had chicken liver pate with pine nuts and fig jam, pasta and oxtail ragout, and a dark chocolate tart with salted caramel whipped cream. No wine was involved, but who needed it?




As part of said celebration, I received gifts both homemade and not. (My daughter received the most current cricut and all of its accessories for Christmas, for those familiar with such a toy). A personalized Llama laser cut piece of art, a new water bottle, a craft to keep me busy and fabric were part of my early Valentine’s goodies. As was an invitation to watch the superbowl at her house, because I am pulling the plug on my network streaming-at least until March madness. But I can only speak during the commercials.


Why is it I never feel old except when I see the skin on my hands??

In other news, my new Samsung watch is working and doing more than I ever thought or expected it would do. I mean, I’m a serial upgrader and asking myself why I stayed with a Fitbit instead of this for so long. While I obviously have no Apple watch to compare it with (dedicated Samsung girl here), this puppy tells me more than I ever needed to know. Apparently I can even do my own EKG with the watch, were I so inclined.  Full disclosure:  while I have activated the alarm app on my watch and tested it (sends location and emergency alarm) I have not yet tried the hard fall part yet, as I understand it’s very sensitive. But since it’s primarily why I got the darned thing, I’ll be doing that this weekend.


Thanks, for all the input about Tahoe by the way. I seem to have added some anxiety in late retirement. I mean I happily flew thirteen plus hours overseas most of my life on a regular basis and now I’m frightened of a flight from here to Reno and asking for valium. But driving that route makes so sense, I’d rather save my driving chops for a gulf coast trip in the other direction.


More about the frugal retiree’s travel plans for said destination wedding coming at the beginning of the week. What an experience, I tell you!!



9 comments:

  1. Lovely gifts. I haven't tried a shadow box 3D cut with my Cricut as of yet, but am getting really great at making fancy cards and have started to try engraving.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying + Valium is better than driving anyway. Luv the watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love to drive, but yes, in this case I think so.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely llama time. What a unique restaurant! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be a food snob and a one of a kind gourmet restaurant type and I love it. My pocketbook not so much, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love the tree - although I'm not a romantic person at all. Valentine's Day to me is the anniversary of the date I completed my professional designation. Best gift I ever gave myself. :)
    I currently use a Fitbit, but my phone is Samsung and I like it - I may have to look into the watch at some point when this dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not as expensive as Apple watches and very comfortable. It was a big jump for me buy cheaper and more realistic than an alert bracelet or necklace, you know?

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! The food sounds interesting...most of which I have not tasted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!