Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Monday Musings-Mother's Day, Pie, Freedom and Money

On Friday, my daughter took me to Red Lobster for lunch for Mother's Day since she was working the weekend. We ate inside (both vaccinated) at a separated table and it was lovely. On the one hand I felt bad going to a chain as  opposed to the many local restaurants and patios available. On the other hand I a had a huge craving for lobster, even if it was the flash frozen kind and where better to go. Future outings will be more of the "local type".

What I was missing for Mother's day was that homemade lemon meringue pie, which I have so often shared versions of on this space. My cast iron pie maker person is miles away. So it was time  to search for an acceptable substitute. After waxing poetic on my local city page about where to get the best pies, I had a list. Sunday after church I popped into the first one and it was delicious. I cannot say the best because I still have to check out all the others, right?  Since one of my warm weather goals is to find patios and outdoor spaces to read in once a week, as well as take a weekly drive further afield this goal of finding the perfect (lemon meringue) pie should be a fun challenge. I may have to try each one more than once.  Just saying

Things are slowly opening in this part of the Lone Star state at least. I went to Silver Sneakers yoga yesterday and they allowed 15 people in the gymnasium at a time, with masks on till we get to our chair and then off while exercising.  My new church has resumed it's crafting group weekly (with mask wearing except for drinking) and I expect other crafting groups and meeting groups may begin having get togethers (still masked, which I think works for me now). Some of the common areas here have opened up. Senior college is still virtual, at least for the summer. I'm looking forward to it all, but at the same time not interested in the level of social as before. I'm fairly sure that even if I still had the energy for it, restarting a retired women's group down here is not in my future.

Surprisingly (or maybe not, actually), opening up and going out just a teeny bit more has been affecting my creativity. While I've enjoyed getting out every day (and not just on the patio or around the immediate area) I've also felt a real call to spend longer times at my sewing table and to create in new areas like the wood painting and improvising in the area of sewing and quilting. My apartment and studio are still my castle and where I spend  much of my time.

My patio is looking much better with a few more plants (I still need some hanging ones), solar lights, a mini flag holder and my flamingos. This picture was taken the other day, I'll need a less overcast one for more. 



An up coming project is to revamp the old budget here a casa Barb. Things are opening and I have new expenses (fitness membership costs, entertainment). I also need to adjust based on other things: warm weather utilites, increased food and bas costs, upcoming travel goals, my improved one person cooking, creative goals and more. After I do my taxes though. Procrastination is my middle name, after all.

 And who knows. Maybe I can get rid of some hibernation expenses. Especially the twenty reading and TV channels I've been binging on for the past year.

I should be back to normal twice or thrice a week blogging and catching up on my sidebar. I took some time to work on some craft writing and creating but am ready to get back into my normal writing (and life) routine.

I may need to make some brownies today.

14 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your "get out there & do it!" attitude. I live in a big city & can't seem to find something outside of the house to join in yet. Guessing I need to try harder! You're an inspiration Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it's the church thing and the local rec thing so far. Otherwise....

      Delete
  2. I am glad to hear you are easing back into the world. I am very gently trying to get some sense of normalcy one toe at a time.
    Oh, brownies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely is the rule round here

      Delete
  3. Here is Michigan we are about the same as you regarding opening back up...slow and cautious which works for me.

    I've never heard of lemon meringue pie made in a cast iron pan. It's one of my favorite pies so I'm loving your goal of finding the best pie in your area. I just mine have to be a copy cat when I get settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out so.e books on cast iron baking. You can use a regular pan or get a cast iron pie pan and Sue had both.

      Delete
  4. I love lemon meringue pie. It was our traditional Christmas pie in my family when I was growing up.... That and barbecue...weird I know......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a nice meal with your daughter. It sounds like your world is definitely opening up, and with many options. We're still in our third wave here but it seems to be slowing down so I think the summer will be much nicer as more folks are vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As it gets warmer, will you spend as much time outside? I don't really know Texas heat and humidity. Your patio is cozy. Good luck finding new pie to trie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not during the heat of the day, but yes. I'm not one of those lock myself in for the summer types.

      Delete
  7. So happy to hear things are returning to mostly normal for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!