Friday, March 26, 2021

Five For Friday-Small changes, Little Steps

 Spontaneous thought of the day:  I am not a multi tasker. I walk when I walk (without diversion), I read when I read, I watch TV the same, I sew when I sew and so on. Occasionally I have been known to eat or knit in front of the TV, or bring a book to the dining table, but I don't do audio books and have never even owned headphones. This was true in my office life as well when I was an executive assistant (barring the obvious phone answering and greeting). And while parenthood has it's challenges, I was always the "Let's have half an hour of quiet time while I throw things in the crockpot and then I'll help you with your spelling words", type, rather than the alternative.  On a personal level I find multi tasking much less efficient. Plus I feel everything (even cleaning, heaven help me) deserves full attention. Said thought may have been brought on by all the walkers I saw in nature this morning with their phones and headphones...

1. I've started to transition what would be my afternoon walk to the morning. It means getting dressed earlier than normal, but the high today is 78 and with some exceptions it will just be getting warmer. I've also moved dinner a teeny bit earlier so depending on mood and lack of night time rain I can ad a post dinner walk, even if it's dark. My morning walk is a mile and a quarter.

2.  I had a plan for some "tiered table centerpiece Easter decor type thing,  and even went ahead and bought something to use while at Walmart. Then as i was unpacking and putting away, I realized I also have the large glass cake taker plate that  would be perfect. So now I have two displays that only cost some Easter Grass, candy, eggs and a stuffed animal and figuring at seventy percent off. The little bunting project remains on my list. The Easter season is officially 50 days so I'll leave my stuff out a good part of that time before moving to summer/patriotic decor.  


The flowers won't stay in the bowl, I just need to move them. I still need to head to Target and get various candies and a few others to go with the mix, especially for the cake topper! Final pictures later or more likely on Making it Monday.

3.  I've been driving around the city in the warm weather so that I slowly learn where everything is and see all the whole in the wall places I have yet to explore, and in the process have found a couple big parks, a huge recycled book store on the square and more. Yesterday I went into one of the quilting stores to buy a couple yards of fabric and found that they have social distanced "sit and sew and visit" afternoons. My portable machine is not here but I plan to sign up for one anyway. Even if I'm just sitting and sipping and talking about sewing. Baby steps, baby steps. 

4.  Church has moved back into indoor church. Sorta.  My huge church allows a whole forty people in at one time (ever other pew and opposite ends for each group of people). I have signed up for Good Friday services a week from today!  They also have outside services on Easter morning starting at six thirty, but knowing myself I will be streaming online Saturday evening and late Sunday morning.

5. As part of my yearly goals, I wanted to learn six new skills. Which is different from trying new things or doing something I haven't done (that's a working list as well), or learning a new thing (my goal is daily but...).  Currently, that's learning how to knit socks. I'll wear them even with sandals on occasion and they will be gifts for all next Christmas depending on skill. My brother and son LOVE wool socks, though I suppose I'll have to transition from the bright variegated color I'm  using to learn with.

Did you know you can't put your right palm  (center of palm, not fingers) on your right shoulder? Or the same with the left? Not touch your shoulders with your fingers, mind you, but put the flat or your palm on your shoulder? That's my thing learned for today. Do a tick tick or utube search. It'll kill ya.

As shown here 

https://vt.co/lifestyle/new-viral-trend-sees-people-try-to-place-their-palms-on-their-shoulders

19 comments:

  1. Okay, now you have turned me into a contortionist with the palms on your shoulders thing. If you put your right shoulder forward and use your left palm to make contact it's doable but not with both hands/shoulders at the same time.

    Love your Easter spirit centerpieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did mean same arm to same elbow, lol. Thanks. Now I just need to not eat all the candy from the centerpiece.

      Delete
  2. A new recycled crafting materials shop is supposed to be opening in your area soon. I believe it's called Thistle. I saw it on fb and they are only online right now. It sounded like something you might enjoy....Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. They are trying to replace the large one called Scrap that went out of business.

      Delete
  3. Of course I had to try, and you're right I can't do it either.
    Your table looks lovely! Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I must be weird because by crossing my arms I managed to do so.

    I got my Peeps bunting made, and while not perfect it isn't too bad for a first effort. I still have to make Eiko's Easter present though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not by crossding your arms. Same hand to same shoulder.

      Delete
  5. I had no trouble touching the palm of my right hand to my right shoulder. Same for my left. I wonder what that means?

    (Fingers crossed the comment goes through)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It worked. I personally don't know many people who can actually touch the flat of their palm to the same shoulder. It's actually a tick tick and Google challenge and people are failing miserably.

      Delete
  6. I like your decorations. If I can remember to get fishing line, I am going to hang colored, plastic Easter eggs in the tree out front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to try that, but I have limited flexibility due to 20+ years working hunched over a computer.

    Your Easter decorations are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Down and dirty and unfinished but I now have the Easter feeling...

      Delete
  8. My walk cycle is getting mixe dup with daylight savings, work meetings, and the dogs needs. I will need to start easing into a morning walk and an after supper walk through as we transition back in the office starting in July. I'm always in need of new stretches and tings to keep agility. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, fail the multitasking test. I can only do one thing at a time -- I can't even listen to music when I'm reading or writing. And I, too, fail the test of touching right palm to my right shoulder. Oh well, I'm only human.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been teaching myself how to knit socks. After two weeks, I have almost finished one sock. I've ripped it enough that sometimes I wonder if the yarn will wear out just from my un-doing. Those four needles certainly mean that I have to focus. Usually I can knit and watch tv -- but not when doing the socks! I am starting with top down. Perhaps one day, I'll try the magic loop....sigh........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh! You got me trying to touch my shoulders and you're absolutely right. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I tried the right palm on shoulder too and couldn't do it. I'm glad I'm normal. You are doing so much even without multi-tasking. I like to make dishes that will provide left-overs for 3 days, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!