Friday, March 5, 2021

10 (Make That 11?) Thoughts on Apartment Living

 I was trying to think of the last time I did "apartment living".  Probably in the early 1980s. I've lived alone since then, but never in an apartment or condo. Four and a half months in, random thoughts on apartment living and my new apartment:

1. I was worried about the living below part. Unlike Deb over at the Widow Badass Blog however, I have not had a herd of elephants above (although they have opened some sections that allow children living and staying). Just the occasional flush and vacuum.

2. I chose a patio that faced into the courtyard rather than out to open space for security But it's kept my sanity and social life, because I can sit on the patio and knit or read and talk to people safely as they walk by on the sidewalk. I did not choose the north facing side, but since I cannot grow green living things under perfect conditions, I figure that I'll be comfortable the five months everyone else is sweltering and putting up those shade screens.

3. The size is perfect for me, but I would not want to go any smaller than the 875 feet unless it was part of a larger home and yard (as it will be eventually). Also the second bedroom is smaller than it looked-perfect for a studio but not also a guest room. Not a problem as my daughter lives twenty minutes away and when I upgrade to that coral sofa it will be a sleeper.

4. It's so nice to literally have to do nothing maintenance wise and be able to clean your abode in an hour. Lightbulb changes, you name it. You type and they come. I have a small tool kit but it only gets used for thing like hanging pictures. I don't even own on the normal tools of house use.

5. I have a blog post coming about retirement helpers and home apartment "aging in place" changes. For now let's just say that while for now I don't need them (and don't plan to for awhile), it's nice to know these apartments were officially planned with aging in place in mind (people are here from 45 to one hundred plus,so a wide differential of abilities and such). My apartment has levered door handles all the way around, grab bars all over the bath room and the kitchen cabinets are designed lower so that I can reach the top shelf without climbing.

6. Speaking of which, there is a 101 year old gal named Lucille who lives on the second floor. She can still go up and down the stairs on her own (although she can't walk further without her Rollator, so she generally takes the elevator). She also brought me lunch the other day-potato soup, cheese and bread and ham and fruit. We all want to be her.

7. Every community has the nosy one who enforces the rules, and I have a mainly kind and funny version living down the way. The one who puts little signs up reminding dog owners to pick up their poop and goes looking for the rolling cart we share (I need to buy my own) for bringing groceries from car to apartment if it's not returned in a timely manner.

8. I love that everything except electric (which includes heat) is included in my monthly community bill (yea, I know I'm still paying water and taxes and all that good stuff). I don't need to think about property taxes or any other living related expenses as such. Two bills and that's it, baby.

9. I'm not a paranoid person. I go out by myself at night, I travel alone day and night, I've lived alone in an apartment, I go to cities (day and night) alone. Still, proximity tends to be security. Between people asking how you are doing and where you've been, having a gated well lit community and having regular police car rounds, my safety factor is pretty high.

10. Last but not least...For now, considering covid, my proximity and relationship with DD and SIL is pretty good. She's an essential worker  and works lots of hours, and they get little together alone time. But I'm seeing them weekly, and then come and do whatever I ask when I ask (which I try not to abuse too terribly much). My daughter is a micro manager even from afar, and she works just up the road!

11.(Added after the other ten). I love, love, love the thought that once things move towards normal, all I need to do to this house is make sure I lock up behind me and that the thermostat is at a happy medium. No shutting off any thing, extra security or anything else-other than perhaps the mail. Be it for a drive, an overnight, or two weeks. 

PS:  By  now everyone has heard about our Great Leader's decision. I'm one hundred percent in favor of all businesses opening at a capacity they think they can handle. As for the idiotic mask and distancing cancellation, businesses seem to have picked up the slack.  Our local FB group has a list of which businesses will still still require and use and it looks like I can go to Kroger and Target and most of my smaller local establishments with safety as I feel more brave in doing that. Wish I believed that would be true everywhere in the state-we'll see.

19 comments:

  1. I also like the simplicity that happened with my selling the house and moving into an apartment. Like you stated, housing cost is 2 bills - rent and electric.

    I am comforted with the security of being in an access controlled building rather that fronting a very busy road at the house. The busy road provided some security during the daytime but out in the country dark was very dark, no streetlights and very little traffic at night. I did become more concerned about my security as I aged.

    I'm glad your move is working out well for you, I know mine is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And I really love that once things open up again I can literally just take my keys, set the apartment to a mid-temperature and go.

      Delete
  2. I have never lived in an apartment. It sounds like a very cozy place where you live. Some of the carts are rinky dinky, so beware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I'm using is pretty strong.ptobsbly get the same one.

      Delete
  3. Good idea to post a list of places that require masks and those that don't, so you can be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alabama kept our mask mandate, as least a while longer, thank goodness. I may be vaccinated, but I do not want a variant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I agree. Keeping the masking thing going although considering and outdoor drink with my also vaccinated daughter.

      Delete
  5. Don't we all wish we could end up as a "Lucille"? The lady whose job I took in HR when she retired in 1992 lives in the sort of community you describe in Geneva and she loves it. No hassle, no worries and just the right amount of security. It's something for me to think about later - but not just yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have not done this quite so soon. But I was determined to move south and don't want to move AGAIN before my downsizing with family much later in life if I can handle it.

      Delete
  6. Barb, I have exciting news to share - The Stompy McStompersons (lately redubbed the League of Vampire Bowlers) have moved out! I don't have new upstairs neighbours as yet...I hear workers up there readying the unit for new inhabitants. They can't be any worse than my previous neighbours...CAN THEY?!?! ;-)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope not, They have allowed some non-seniors into our complex as they have unused space right now, but so far they have been very quiet.

      Delete
  7. What a nice guide for folks considering a change. My friend and her husband recently sold their house and are renting, at least for a year or two, maybe longer until. They got turned upside down in mortgage from a move out east, then back to the midwest in a house that looked affordable on paper, but wasn't for day to day living, then downsized, but still couldn't get caught up. The sale of their house helped them get back to 0 and where they moved is lovely, and walkable, and near lots of green space, plus heart of the city access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided when I sold my home in Texas in 2013 that ownership and a house were not for me again. It's not just the home and tax cost but their maintenance. for me when I sold it was as much about the time and effort involved as it was the money.

      Delete
  8. This is a nice list and offers some things for us to consider when we downsize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I notice your fearless/feckless leader has decided masks are okay now. I can understand the push and pull, of those who want everything open and those who wants things to remain closed. But like our provincial premier there seems to be a tendency to listen to those who yell loudest.

    Love your list. Fingers crossed that in the next three years I also have the opportunity to find a place like yours for myself. House maintenance is definitely a pain in the rear.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That 101 year old is amazing! Actually the nosy neighbor makes it better for everybody else. Some day, this will be in our future too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never lived in an apartment, but you do give some very good reasons for apartment living.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!