Thursday, July 23, 2020

Thursday Thoughts: Cooking Small, Creativity and the Brain...

Things I'm drinkin' and thinkin' about this afternoon:

I've been going outside every day before or after the sun, embracing the shade in the heat. Today I decided I needed the sun and headed out for a good half an  hour of the real thing (I protect myself pretty well, but have serious vitamin D shortage and am blessed with skin that never burns or freckles. I dont do it every day and I do have a low to medium number suncreen but I need to get past hiding all in the shade).  




This morning I watched about four videos on how to do a specific quilting technique and have the fabric ready to experiment with tomorrow before I start my project. This was probably as big a brain challenge as taking a class or doing the New York Times or LA times puzzle (which I do weekly).  Hobbies stretch us, or at least me, and I don't just mean the crafty ones. For most of us, if we find a hobby we like, eventually we try and take it to another level. And then another. My sister is a great baker and each week she tries a different pie or tart in the cast iron pan she got for Christmas (more of them lemon than not thanks to me). While I wasn't paying attention fully, I did hear how she now has a new way to do the crust and is researching that and then it will be onto something else. The lace shawl I just finished required concentrated knitting without distraction. Yea, I still do the puzzles and I still take the occasional (now virtual) Olli or Coursera class. But my hobbies are just as challenging (and occasionally meditative and relaxing)!

 I've been having some real fun exploring meals for one or two. On a forum I belong to the topic came up of the problem of cooking small sized desserts and just took off from there, I still have my three quart slow cooker from my time living alone, and I've been wanting to look at smaller recipes both for sister and I on occasion and also ahead to when I move. Especially small sized desserts and snacks for now. I took a trip down the rabbit hole and checked out the One Dish Kitchen, Homemade in the Kitchen,  and a few other sites. Flourless chocolate cake for two, lasagna for two, stovetop beef stew for two, plus a pile of slow cooker recipes that make two or three servings. I also put some small casserole type pans on my wish list for the new place to facilitate some cooking.  
These mini five inch casserole pans are on my list!


I have to admit this, I miss my people on a regular basis. The small knitting group on Wednesday with deep conversation, the occasional lunch, the once a month dinner at my brother and my sister in law's. I also miss the just going out (at least as much or more, honestly). The day trip every week, an afternoon thrifting, even walking in the mall and people watching. I've made the adjustment, I'm doing okay, better with my new normal than I thought I would.

Thankfully what I am not is bored. As always, I only speak for me, but guess I just don't understand not having enough stuff to do. Yes, I craft and not all my readers craft or do art. But I am here to tell you that on a regular basis there is so very much that goes on in this house other than crafting and art and for six weeks three of us were completely locked down, mainly without boredom.  In the past week around here various people have watched TV series and read (admittedly we all have long reading lists we will probably never plow through), worked on putting up a fence, done some gardening, been working on a thousand piece puzzle, practiced golf moves post surgery/therapy, done cooking and baking and grilling, sorted though old family photos and organized according to side of the family, done minature paper sculpure (paper nano),  taken online classes, worked out, volunteered, walked and played with the dogs and a bunch of things I left out. And yes, I have sewed and knitted.

A regular reader here reads Tarot cards if I recall, does Astrology, volunteers for Meals on Wheels (maybe not now), works out, does Aromatherapy,  creative writing, and yes, also crafts. I'm sure she may remind me of what I've missed.  If this pandemic does nothing else, I hope it shows people that we all need hobbies and interests we an do at home. Some with others, some alone, some relaxing, some challenging.........

Meanwhile, for those who have been around for awhile and remember my previous move, (an end summary of the process here), this move will be entirely different. Partly because this is now a combined household of three, partly because this time I have no one else to drive a truck for me, and partly because many of the items I brought here are not appropriate for my new place of have lived most of their lives. Son can either keep them when he moves next spring, sell or donate. As of now, I am taking my bed, two small and one large dressers, a large wooden bookshelf, one of my two Ikea desks, the pretty white chair and two bakers racks that collapse. Along with the piece of furniture below, which is really a sideboard but will go in my new living room. Right now I'm doing the calculations to see if these and ten large boxes will fit in a pod....................I'll let you know.  




At the same time I'm regularly exploring both Rooms To Go and Nebraska Furniture, as well as all the local buy and sell groups in the north Texas area,  the Denton downtowners Facebook page, the local churches and anything else I can find. It's time to be in the know, about everything I can.

Or at least try.

21 comments:

  1. I love, LOVE love your sideboard. And those are cute little casserole dishes. I'm putting them on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think Ill put it in the living room and put my tv on it, but who knows. aren't they cute?

      Delete
  2. Those are great casserole dishes. I don't have as much going on as you, but i am not bored or feeling sorry for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sideboard is gorgeous. Small casserole dishes are always a good thing to have in the kitchen. Love the colours of those.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Barb,
    I am a doer, too. I was not happy with things i could no longer do for about three days, and decided this is the way it is going to be. I am finding other things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the sideboard.
    I hear you doing stuff---I am doing a lot of sitting.
    Glad to see you are taking enough to start nicely.
    My sister(for all furniture) puts things on her wish list and orders on Black Friday. I wonder if things will be on sale this time around?
    I found two pieces of furniture that I want at a second hand store here---my husband will not be happy if they are on the truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I m looking at new stores for the sofa and mattresses when they need to be replaced. Other than that I'm aiming for two marketplace. I figure saving money on moving and buying there's the way to go but I new white chair!! I need it!!

      Delete
  5. That sideboard is lovely, and I hope we get a look at the quilting when complete.

    Like you, I find there is enough to do around the house and yard that I am never without something to keep me busy. I don't rush though and can spend time reading, watching television, crafting or working on a puzzle. Today will see a lot of the latter as we had a storm blow through last night and the yard is simply too wet.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not sure on the fabric vs pattern, may need more fabric!

      Delete
  6. Yes, there's always something to be done especially in the off-winter seasons. In the words of my SIL, there's always a list of things left undone. And when I think I have nothing to do, I can always go for a walk or read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb, my son used the pod system for his last move (from Texas to Indiana) and was very happy with it. He felt it was convenient and reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think you will love living small! I have a great book you may like ... Small Batch Baking. Also have a couple of cooking for one (and it's usually enough for leftovers!). Great looking little casseroles. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't get into cooking for one or two. I don't mind leftovers (some dishes get better with age), and for the same effort I can make enough to eat on all week or store in the freezer for quick and easy reheating at a later point.
    I'm with you on having hobbies or interests. I am slowly recovering from my months of packing/sorting/unpacking which has provided me with more than enough mental and physical stimulation, and am feeling ready to resume a more normal life including art, hobbies and taking some courses. Give yourself plenty of time to recover after your move, Barb - if you are like me, you won't realize how much it will take out of you until it hits you upside the head! ;-)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I plan on a long recovery time especially after a long drive. Sometimes I like to cook and freeze as well. It depends on recipe. I have significantly downsized and since I am in a three person established household not taking nearly what I might in other circumstances.

      Delete
  10. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    #STAYSAFE

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!