Friday, June 5, 2020

Well, It's Been A Week, I Tell You!

Unsurprisingly, I remain concerned and saddened by what is going around me. On some days I wish I could be news-less, but I feel I have to be aware of what is happening in the world and that this is not the time to bury heads in the sand. I do try get most of my news by reading off the page or hitting various websites rather than much TV.  There is still much to be concerned, and caring about. My nephew goes to college near Baltimore and has been in Lafayette square in DC for three days, sharing via video what has been going on. I've been watching the Arbery trial, demonstrations and  so much more-in limited amounts.  All happening with no leadership to speak of, at least not the leadership where it should be.

As a veteran, and like every many military persons who has spoken up in the past few days, I am appalled that the President of the United States thinks asking US military members to fire on their own citizens is legal or proper. Never mind teargassing quiet demonstrations for a photo op! And even more appalling is the idea that they are looking "forward" to such or that it would be "good training". Frankly, I'm not sure which is more concerning-the fact that he seems to have almost no knowledge of the constitution or federal law, or that he thinks those things don't apply to him.

Yesterday my church  had a one hour virtual service called Prayers for Healing, Peace and Justice. A group from my church is going down to the cathederal today and then to march. My prayers are with them, and in normal days I would be in the fray for as long as the legs held out but these are not yet normal days. As part of a book study, I (as many others around the blog sphere) have begun White Fragility.  I paid for it in this case, since the wait is so ever lovin long.

Meanwhile, normal life goes on, even as I continue praying and worrying and planning and making sure there is self care in the mix:

On the money front I have only spent 33 dollars and groceries this week-mainly because I wanted strawberries and pecan coffee cake and multiple sizes of ziploc storage bags for organization purposes and to put those cards in. In theory I may need sandwich rolls down the road as I plan on turning a chuck roast into Italian beef for sandwiches (menus down below). 

I'll do a one week shopping on Monday or Tuesday which may go over  since I may add some Schwan's into the mix and/or some non perishibles for the pantry for long term. . I did have some moderate spending on the mailing fee for a couple more clothing boxes (also see below), some gas now that I am driving regularly,  and an Amazon fire stick since my son gave me his old TV (a mere 26 inches) and I'm not having the cable folk in the house.

Health and self care wise, I am trying to improve a bit. I'm good on the sitting with my self bit, as well as morning and evening meditation. I've still been spending lots of time outside, although not quite as much some days. Today we have a high of 94. After so very much searching, I have found a forty minute online program that is more no impact than low impact and still is getting my heart rate to the max (who knew simply standing in a runner's stance and moving your arms back and forth runner like at a high speed could be so intense) both my heart and my knees are thanking me. I also discovered that yes, there is actually sitting in the chair pilates. While I'm not there yet, I'm comfortable cutting my hair agin. 

On the other hand my poor feet are due for some pampering (or at least as much pampering as this non bending gal can do).  I stayed in a nightgown for a whole day, and as I looked in the mirror washing my face today, I realize just how long it has been since said face and tweezers have been aqainted.  Ooops!!

From an emotional/enrichment/creative/being fullfilled perspective, I have found that my new thing is to give myself three things to do each day. Those are other than than the normal daily needs like feeding and picking up after myself, and not including morning and evening meditation which is pretty much a routine part of my retirement. Sometimes I do more, sometimes I don't get any of the three done. I've reached the point where I'm embracing the quiet time (reading, TV, meditation and such) and no longer feeling the need to fill my days.  Usually my three things are exercise and two fun or creative projects for me. Today my things were exercise, opening the boxes of clothing that arrived, and cutting out a set of fabric/placemats, matching hotpads and coasters. My book, TV and yard await for the rest of the day.

So what have I actually accomplished in the past week?

  • I've now gotten all the clothing boxes including one that advertises itself at a lower price, and one from an online consignment store. Photos to come.
  • I improved my swollen gum issue with self care enough that I am no longer in pain, the gum is no longer swollen and I dont have to run to the dentist when I'm not comfortable
  • I actually went out into the world to do a clicklist order, get gas, and drive 20 minutes!
  • I attended a church zoom meeting on how we can "do" outreach (other than money) during pandemic times. More on that later.
  • I found two new TV shows on by subscribing to Masterpiece Theater on Amazon. One called "The Cliff" and one a French/German show called Crimson Rivers, and I read the new Michael Connelly (so glad he went back to writing about the reporter)
  • I cut fabrics for placemats, knitted alot, practiced my quilting on those table mats, did not yet make any more cards and other wise generally chilled throughout the week.
  • Bugged the Texas apartment manager to get me an official application so we can get going..the online option is not working. They are back in their offices.
And there we have it. Hopfully I am back to blogging normally now.  What did we have for dinner?  Let me think...

Chicken breasts, covered with fajita mix and peppers and onions, drizzed with olive oil, covered with Mexican cheese mix and baked. Recipe here. Made two meals

Fish with vegetables, fruit and an orzo quina and vegetable mix I got from Schwans that is absolutely fantastic.

Frozen cheeseburgers with salad and sides (these were accidentally delivered tous by Walmart from someone else's order and they had to be used). They weren't terrible but we obviously opened the buns and put other good stuff in there as well. Walmart also accidentally delivered me a stack of Totinos party pizzas and I have absoutely NO idea, none, when or if we will use these.

Jambalya with sausage and chicken only  (everyone but me is allergic to seafood and I am desperate for some right now) not made by me (made two meals)

Top sirloin steak, cooked in a pan since we were out of  propane with the sides you would imagine (one meal and lunches).

15 comments:

  1. I looked up 'White Fragility' at Amazon. It looks like an interesting book, especially for a book study---I'm assuming that means a book discussion group?

    I am encouraged that so many military leaders are stepping up to talk about the grave harm Trump is doing by wanting to use or troops against our own citizens. What next? Do we get international peacekeepers coming in because we've been turned into a 3rd world dictatorship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be a virtual small group duscussion.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for catchin' us up ... but I'm not so sure about the "normal life goes on" part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, can you give the link for the exercise that is lower than low impact? Please. I need that...lol.

    Also, what did you do about your gums? I need my teeth cleaned and one place is getting tender and red.

    You are doing well on your planning for yourself each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. look up eldergym on utibe. He has a twenty day covid series and it would be day three and another day. The exercises are NOT sitting, they are standing and do require bending, stret hung and squatting. I used a prescription mouthwash, a special double soft tooth brush and prescription washes.

      Delete
  4. I've been depressed all week with the news. And today, to have our idiot of a president invoke George Floyds name in connection to the economy, just honestly flipped me out. I agree, we can't just put our heads in the sand and we can't just not say anything either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not wait for things to get to a new sort of normal. I am afraid I have just about lost my mind over the last half month or so.

    You have accomplished a lot.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm assuming the previous comment is a spammer, this pandemic seems to brought them out of the woodwork.

    I'm grateful for your comments, while I do not live in the US I've been watching the events with horror and often disgust. It seems there is more violence than ever. We are not immune here in Canada, just in the last 24 hours a young Indigenous woman was shot and killed by a RCMP officer on a wellness check. There are suggestions she came at him with a knife, and I do they are trained to shoot critical mass, but it seems a bit much. Racism is prevalent across the world and it's far past time that things change.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara, It sounds like you are getting back to as much of a normal life as is possible at this time. Thanks for the update on the new Michael Connelly book. I've just placed a hold on it at the library. I may check out the Masterpiece Theater offering from Amazon Prime in the future. I just signed up for Disney Plus. I already have Amazon Prime and Netflix:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought White Fragility also! It's Kindle version and I miss the paper. No way would I get a library book these days! My life is still 100% quarantine. I'm used to it. Really not much different for me. Although I used to make myself go out every afternoon to do something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to use this medium to let everyone know that Herpes Simplex Virus has a complete and Permanent cure and that Dr Razor Herbal Medicine is the solution. I was Diagnosed with Herpes Virus type 1 in January 16, 2015, I have made several Research Hoping to see a true Cure or Healer, Fortunately for me i saw on a blog site how Dr Razor has been saving different lives and marriages with his herbal medicine, At first i did not believe but on a second thought, i decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he assured me of a cure, he prepared the herbal medication for me, which i took for 18 days, he told me to go for a medical check up, could you believe that i was confirm Herpes type 1 Negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also Negative, I became very happy and decided to write my appreciation article about this Good man. If you are battling with this same Infection or you know of a person who is infected with any disease like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis A,B,C, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, life's problems that you might have etc. kindly Reach out to Doctor Razor on Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442. You can Also Visit His website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . My Sincere Gratitude to you Sir, God will surely Keep you safe from harms way. Please share so Other lives can be saved

    ReplyDelete

  10. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ebhota online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drebhotasoltion@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2348089535482 He also have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!