Monday, March 16, 2020

Puttering Along

I have  a confession this morning:  I vacillate between being happy that so many are protecting themselves and wondering what the heck all of these shut downs are going to do to so many people, especially those who could barely afford to take a single day off to begin with and those who have their own small businesses-my offspring included. Even as I self isolate in my home, and aknowledge that I understand flattening the curve.

I also need to step up and say that we have been drastically let down the failure of our President to act in a responsible way. Just last evening our leader, the President of the United States said very clearly that "we have the virus under control".  We do NOT have the virus under control, and thankfully there are scientists who are actually willing to speak up even in front of the President and say "Hell, no, the virus is not under control, we have not come close to seeing the worst that can happen".  People need to be prepared and know the truth-there are other positive things to say that have nothing to do with lying, lying outright and making people believe that they don't need to worry or take basic steps.

 The Federal government, thanks to the President, is behind the ball on this. Far behind on the ball. Thankfully, SOME states, including mine, are being proactive. But we shouldn't have to rely on the sensiblities of our Governors (Oklahoma's took his family of all ages to a crowded restaurant this weekend where they sat cheek to jowl with a few hundred people).  I have a couple experienced military friends who believe strongly that we will be Italy by the weekend because as a country we have not shut down. We are beyond trying to make people feel confident so that the economy can be better. Do your job and protect the health of the country.  The shorter this experience, the faster we will get back to normal-ness of our lives, which will fire the economy better than any drivel that comes out of the federal government.  I am actually not a fan of the Goveror of New York as such. But this man is on the ball-we should all be doing what New York is doing. Now.

Today is my first (Or maybe second, I did run out at least once last week) week of staying completely home (except for running out to get a blood draw and possibly going for a nice long drive alone in the car. My brother suggested this as an isolation alternative knowing I love to drive and I was like, why didn't I think of that!).

Last week I was extremely lazy and spent most of my time sitting in a chair reading or sitting outside. This week I plan to start at least a list or schedule or something. Having said that, it occurs to me that as someone who is a naturally happy at home (in spite of my social life), I can always, always, find something to do at home and am rarely if every bored. Admittedly without the very large yard I would probably want to leave more if only to walk, but for me it is not a NEED to leave my home on a regular basis. In fact, after staying home last week, I have come to realize that I am ready to cut back a bit on the socialization thing. I'll cut the outings I'm hosting on my women's group by half (partly to free up time and partly to encourage others to step up as I leave) and won't be starting a group in Texas. But that's a story for another time.

My brother is like me. He is self employed and has a huge home office and except for running out to the store or going somewhere with his wife on the weekend can be happy not leaving the house. He works in the yard or the garden. He has a treadmill in the basement with TV and headphones. He cooks, he reads, he has multiple collections, he has hobbies. right now he is working on a paper nano project with tweezer, headlight and so on. There are so many things.....
Made with literally hundreds of pieces of paper folded and glued using tweezers and a magnifyer. Only three by five inches when completed (the whole thing).


His wife and my sister are just the opposite I expect.  My sister especially. It is impossible for her to spend a full day at home, she is normally runing out for someting whether she needs it or not just to get out of the house. My sister-in-law is not so bad, but she has some issues as well and much of her social life and identity are tied up in work. Starting this week she has gone both to part time, and to working at home. 

This experience will be a test for her as she is ready to retire (she has the letter all written on her computer ready to date and go as she and my brother prepare to pull the plug). Brother and she have been discussing on and off-he has some eye issues and is ready to move to consulting with the company on an as needed basis and when he does that she will do the same.  So for her this at home time-literally all the time-will be a test. Brother has a plan to gently remind her that "well, this is what a large part of retirement will be like". Yes, they will travel some, and yes, she will probably volunteer and find some social things to join. But still, for most of us, retirement is returning to home for a good part of the day.  We will see how that goes. 



As for me I am back to my puttering days and mainly loving it (although admittedly I spent some days last week very lazily playing like it was a snow day). This morning we had morning prayer, since my church has started streaming services and as I type this somewhere between nine and ten I am still having morning time in my chair. My very brief checlist includes an hour of aerobics with Utube, doing a quick pickup/dusting/wipedown/sanitizing run of the house and running the dishwasher, working on my knitting project since my new yarn will arrive today, and having a couple quality outside visits with the dogs. Since I didn't thaw anything as such for dinner we are having thawed fire grilled chcken tenders with whatever potatoes I decide on and dip and salad.

And there are a few things I could add to the pantry (milk, eggs, coke, juice, gatorade), but i can do pick up and wait.

Now if I could just keep my (very dry) hands off my (very dry) face!

Another week, another adventure.

20 comments:

  1. Yes, introverts and natural homebodies will have a distinct advantage in being able to tolerate social isolation for any great length of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tolerate a bit of social isolation but then I need to be around people. I guess I am going to have to find some other way of interaction. I might just sit on my front steps and watch people as they walk by. I suspect with all the kids home from school there is going to be a boatload of neighborhood walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belong to various groups on facebook for knitting and frugalness and so on and i decide that for my mental health I needed to go back on those and do a tech diet at another place. My sister and son are still walking their dogs and keeping distance.

      Delete
  3. I ran out to get a few last items this morning, mostly for the cats but as of now, I have no plans to go out again.

    Enjoy your puttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a clicklist order on Wed but am thinking I can leave my window up and just have them put it in the back.

      Delete
  4. We had a Zoom church service, and we're going to try having a "virtual" lunch with a friend via Zoom. She has had lung cancer twice and has been on oxygen for quite a while. She's going to have an 80th birthday party in June, and we want her to be around to enjoy it! Cabin fever sets in easily for me, but I'm planning on getting out and walking frequently, keeping that safe distance between others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always spent a lot of time alone but the idea that I CAN'T go some place gets to me which doesn't make sense but it makes me anxious and on edge. I feel badly for all the small stores and restaurants. Even some of the big chain fast food places can't absorb might losses in definitely.

    You nailed it about our president. He lost us a lot of valuable time back when he was called the virus a hoax of media and democrats. Tests should have been readily available weeks ago and are still in very short supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran out to get a few items this morning too. Trader Joe's had sections of emptiness where there are usually frozen meals such as chicken chow mein, broccoli and beef,etc. Target was all out of sanitizer wipes and toilet paper. Hopefully people are all stocked up now so the grocery shelves can get stocked back to normal. Our YMCA and city libraries are closed for now. I'm trying to stay home as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no food shortage in the country so as things settle I believe we will all.have access to needs. I do think this is a wakeup call that even if you do not in a disaster zone you should still have two weeks of needs no matter who you are.

      Delete
  7. It is not just getting out of the house that this extrovert needs but also real life interaction with a variety of people. That being said, any of us can do this for a period of time just so long as it isn't forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ahoeter the better. And closing restaurants and things for 8 weeks..I can only hope they will open them early. Bless his heart I am gonna be supporting my son again through absolutely no fault of his.

      Delete
  8. We surely won't go hungry, but the store shelves are very very bare. Hoping that will ease up a bit. I'd go as soon as grocery opened but these kidults don't come alive until 3pm. So of course things are gone. I may just brave the virus and make a grocery run when we run out of things I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like being home, and I like being around people. This problem now makes it easy for me to choose and be happy with isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up visiting and helping out Kris, but as I drove up alone and have more or less not talked to anyone but him, I consider this self isolation.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We spent yesterday trying to figure out how to run the food pantry with seven 60+ year olds. We had four family stop by asking for food- all were laid off yesterday. Tears. It was tough not to hug them. I know there is money coming down the road for them---but that does not help them right this minute. How to do it without compromising ourselves.... I knew you would understand since you have lived this type of work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine. Are you still operating and working? Since yesterday my son has had his restaurant forcibly closed as i will post about tonight. In theory I am only at home and in the yard, but I live with someone who works for the state and has not been sent home and the restuarant guy who now does delivery, lol. I just got an email yesterday from the organization that manages family promise when the homeless stay in our church (which is now closed and online only) asking if we wanted to host with limited numbers, pay for hotel stays for the families or somethig else. i can only hope this is better by our next hosting in May. I don't know what all of these families with kids will do between no school and all the other problems.

      Delete
  12. We're in lockdown here in France since noon today. You have to have an attestation on you if you go out (work, grocery/medical supply shopping only) and if you don't have it on you you get fined. Initially it'll be for 15 days but I can see it going for a month. I have a list of things I have wanted to get done for so long so now's the time. I'm retired and don't need to be anywhere but I really feel for those who are maybe just one lost pay check away from financial disaster!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!