Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Being Sustainable-And Perhaps Saving Money?

One of those big goals around here for 2020 was to tighten the budget so that there would be even more money for travel and a future long distance move. An unstated or unadded goal until now was to increase my sustainability level-mainly when it comes to the amount of trash and waste I produce, but in other areas as well. I know I need to step up my game, especially as I see more wildfires and melting ice reports on a daily basis (just to begin with)!

Surprise, surprise, for the most part cutting money and cutting waste go together. At least with my math.

Note: I care about the planet and believe in global warming and climate change issues. That should not surprise a single reader. I also feel pretty strongly that much of the solution for these changes need to come from governments and from private industry both of whom have the money, the brain power and the tools to experiment and make changes. But I also feel like even small individual changes matter when added together......

Some parts of my frugal lifestyle are automatically sustainable (hello cloth napkins), but as I tweak the budget, as well as thinking of other changes I can make, these are the things I am doing in the new year to both lower the bottom line and/or help the planet.

There are some things I already do that save money as well being environmentally friendly.  I gave up paper napkins for cloth long ago. I consolidate errands as a matter of habit, and live in an inner suburb where driving for needs can be done close to my home. I wash most things in cold water, and use full loads. I use absolutely no chemicals in my yard including round up. Instead we use solutions like boiling water for weeds and putting down quick oats to get rid of ants. We use energy efficient bulbs and do not drink bottles water (we keep a few gallons on hand for emergencies).

So here is the new year, new list:

1. With a few allowable exceptions, I'm going to be focusing on a buy used first policy as much as possible. Certain clothing items, quilting fabric and yarn and foodstuffs will obviously not be in that category. I'm not saying I'll never buy new, just that it will be my last resort if I cannot find it through the marketplace, at a thrift shop or through my Buy Nothing Group! I'm sure there will be a few or more never used items added to the exception pile.

2.  As I declutter and downsize some more while I Iook forward  to  moving even smaller in the next year, I am committed to seeing if I can find alternatives for everything that is leaving my house, rather than just hauling i to a thrift store. Can I re-use it as a rag? Can I make something out of it? Can I give it away to someone who is looking for what I might have through my Buy Nothing Group or elsewhere? The landfill or the pile of bins behind Goodwill will be my last resort. And contributing to my buy nothing group makes me more comfortable with the asking, of course!

3. Wasted food in landfills is a large cause of pollution and wasted food is bad on my food budget-especially as I have set a general goal of keeping expenses to seventy dollars a week this year. So I've invested in some storage containers and have made a plan so that leftovers will not be just thrown in a container, but rather into one of those Tupperware divided dish things so anyone who wants can see them for lunch and for dinner. We cannot compost as we live near an area that is being dug up for a new housing subdivision and we would be inundated by the de-homed pests. 

from crate and barrel


4. I want a clothes rack and got an extra laundry basket and am committed putting as much as possible into the non-dry load. I feel the need to dry underwear, flannel sleepwear, jeans and sheets and towels. Other than that, hanging things up makes my clothing last longer and uses much less electricity.  




5. I want to look intensively look at other areas that I can cut out "disposable items". Can I make re-usable paper towels (we will always need some paper for dog gak and such)? I have a pattern and am about to make makeup remover squares out of flannel, so that I can stop buying cotton balls or squares,  And my one worst weakness, I am a body and facial wipe girl. I want to get rid of this habit of throwing multiple wipes into the landfill daily, whether I end up using the flannel squares, making my own version of a facial wipe that goes with a spray, or starting to use traditional cleanser in the bathroom! I can also make fabric gift bags instead of buying wrapping paper if I start early and go big. I already have mainly given up straws and coffee cups, but it's time to take a big step forward in this direction.

In the interests of honestly and reality, there are other things that I am either unwilling to do, cannot do, or am not sure how to do:

1. I'm a carnivore,  I love meat and I am always going to, although I attempt to limit beef to a night a week. For my pocket book as well s the planet, because I am always more liable to get steak or short ribs, rather than hamburger.

2. I am naturally cold blooded and and such keep my home at 73 in the winter although in my defense I keep the summer temps closer to 78. Our house is very well insulated but the numbers definitely go up at this time of year.

3.  As a road tripper (who also gets claustrophobia when she flies), the travel thing is a conundrum-even when figuring cost effectiveness, but mainly in terms of the environment. Driving cross country alone or with one other person, train travel, flying. How does one even compare the three options (and is there another). How does one choose, and how can I make a cross country drive both cheaper and more environmentally sound?

4. Like many of you, our  trash removal company requires bags. And I have dogs, so I have plastic bags. I have yet to find another solution for either.

5. I don't limit water use like I should. We have a water hungry lawn for part of the year. I definitely do NOT come from the navy shower school of thought, although I live in an extremely dry, you never sweat, Colorado climate where daily showering is the exception rather than the rule.

And there you have it, the goals, the plans, the good and the in between both finance and planet wise. Where are you on this spectrum. Where would you like to be? What would you add, what would you take away?




29 comments:

  1. I agree, if we all do our part, however small that might be, we are contributing to the solution. Food waste is something I've been working on, trying to use up the bits of leftovers. Soup is one of the best ways, for me at least. It's amazing what can go into soup. Unfortunately my son doesn't care for leftovers so I tend to be the garbage disposal.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love leftovers here, so it's a good thing.

      Delete
    2. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +2348101755322

      Delete
  2. Frisco Planet Friendly Dog Poop Bags are available at Chewy and probably other places if you really want to get serious. When I pick up poop I just put my hand down inside the bag and pick it up then turn the bag inside out...no paper towels involved. Been doing it for 12 years like that and have never gotten any on my hands.

    I totally agree with your Note (second paragraph). The real change has to come from governments, industries and businesses BUT we consumers can drive the market place in the right direction. The more of us who get on board, the quicker they will respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. My biggest issue to work on is food waste. And I, too, won't give up eating beef.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to look at that bag option. When I said paper towels I meant for dog throw up in the house not poop. We have dogs with chronic health conditions.

      Delete
  3. Well, I am allergic to mammal products, so not eating beef is the way to go. I do eat a little beef. So, it is poultry for me. I gave up tp for years, using only washcloths. Nothing was ever as gross as a baby diaper. I do not have a dog or cat, but I have stepped into presents left of my lawn by both. I use a washable clothing rag that I do NOT wash. Otherwise, I use clothing rags to wipe up things and wash the rags. Because of disabilities, I do use plastic and paper I ordinarily would. We never throw food away. Tommy will eat anything. I wish the stores would make people bring their own bags! I need a drying rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer reusable bags. Not sure I could give up to although I've done it to most all paper and I dont use single use plastic. Still have a ways to go.

      Delete
  4. Great and specific ideas! I'm doing adding one thing at a time and becoming more diligent about what we already do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will take me time, and willpower in some cases to put these in place, knowing myself and all that.

      Delete
  5. We all do what we can for the environment! No one can do it all, though. I agree with you that Big Business and Government need to change their policies and practices. They can solve this if they had the will to do so, in a way that private individual action simply cannot match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely. We need the big boys and girls to step up.

      Delete
  6. I just read "The Sixth Extinction" by Elizabeth Kolbert, which sure makes you think about the impact we all have on the world. Anyway, you are so right ... much of the solution needs to come from governments and private industry who have the money and brain power to experiment and make changes, but our own small individual changes matter when added together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. A few people can turn into many.

      Delete
  7. I am very interested in the reusable cotton pads. I use two a day and really do hate tossing them. But I refuse to give up toilet paper__not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne I found many patterns and am on a frugal minimalism group on facebook (which I don't really qualify for, lol). If I'm happy with them I may add them to my sewing and selling stuff.

      Delete
    2. I should add that I am actally making square or rounded square pads.

      Delete
  8. Another option for the doggy-messes: I have a bin where I toss excess rags that aren't particularly good for most uses (old socks are our favourites for most things so most other destroyed clothing ends up here)to use for those messes and toss. I figure that it's fabric that was heading for the landfill anyway so until I find a way to recycle those fabric bits it saves me on paper towels to clean up pet messes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill have to consider this. Its not actually the cost of the paper towels since I use so few...

      Delete
  9. We don't have to be perfect, we just have to try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm taking an Other class on zero waste. One of the things they advocate is consuming less and thinking about how something is manufactured and where it eventually ends up. While donating items for reuse is good, if people don't buy those items, instead buying new, then the donated items end up in the landfill. The presenter also talked about Earth Overshoot day, which is getting earlier and earlier. One statistic that I found horrifying was that 88% of the ocean's surface is covered by a film of plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We use dog poop bags that are biodegradable, a good change from old plastic bags that stay in the landfill forever. We cut our paper towel usage dramatically by using washcloths instead of paper towels as napkins at meal time or wiping up water spills on the counter.

    Food waste is a huge problem in this country. In fact, it generates as much greenhouse emissions as 37 million cars, which includes all the energy used to produce the food we throw away and the methane gas it produces in a landfill. Add in the cost of the excess or out-of-date food thrown into the garbage and this is one area that it is relatively easy to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of using quick oats to fight ants, but that sure would be better than the ant powder we have to use outside every year for carpenter ants.

    Our cat used to be a "yacker", and I went through a lot of paper towels cleaning up after him. He died in 2018, and I still have the last four rolls of paper towels I bought when he was alive. I cut up all our old t-shirts to use for cleaning rags. About the only place where I refuse to use a rag now is when cleaning the toilet seat and the outside of the bowl. That just gags me, so I'll always use paper towels for that.

    Our state has recently banned single use plastic bags, so before the law takes effect this summer, I'm going to try sewing a few using some of our old clothes for the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr Moses Herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR Moses, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR Moses cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine via UPS ( Delivery service ) to me and i drank it, seriously it worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative... Contact him if you need his assistance email him ehichioyaspelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348057508654 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. God bless DR ANUGE for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr ANUGE , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later I was cured from HERPES contact him via email dranuge@gmail.com once again thanks to you Dr ANUGE. cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp   +2348164866838
    He also told me that he can cure the following diseases:
    cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV/AIDS cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    prostate enlargement
    Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!