Friday, July 27, 2018

Re-adjusting a Bit

I am happy to report that while the wasps have not disappeared they have calmed down. I actually think opening the door itself aggravates them the most, because the mail person never has a problem delivering the mail, and I'm sure there are other factors as well. We are getting various estimates with guarantees and so on, and the buggers should be completely gone shortly. 
My first ever attempt at jewelry making, made to go with a dress I bought, because yellow jewelry is impossible to find!

Today as part of my online afternoon, I wandered over to the Olli (senior college) website, to see what the class offerings were. While there were some very interesting classes (most in the morning, when I would not attend), after looking for about five minutes I realized that interesting as these classes are, I don't want any more "places to be" in my life.

While I wouldn't exactly call it summer vacation as such, along with my blogging break I've had a respite from many of my normal groups and volunteering gigs. Even though I have my new Diva gang, I've realize something: While on some level I consider myself a "doer",  I don't like making the regular commitment of being in a certain place at a certain time on a weekly basis. If I am going to commit to being "there" every week, "there" has got to grab me. And senior college classes do not. At least not when I have a full offering of the Great Courses online at home.

Just a few of the courses on my watchlist (as well as a couple TV series since I watch the Great Courses through Amazon Prime!

Sometimes folks comment about how much I "do" on this blog, even though I have stepped back a great deal (and intend to step back some more). I think this is because there is a difference between being busy at home, and leaving home-be it to socialize, volunteer or anything else. At least for me.

Don't get me wrong, part of my summer of resetting (which is not over) has been to be less busy at home, in part. Given a chance, I could have five or six sewing projects, things to cook, an art project going, some home improvement thing in line-you get the idea. I have spent much of my offline time streamlining my studio, throwing things out and promising myself that I will finish one thing before dreaming up the next, at least one thing in each area.  

But for me at least, there is a difference between having to be somewhere for a meeting, social event, movie or anything else, and doing something similar at home. I'm not sure I could spell it out for you. I mean I wear the same clothes as a rule at home or out. Many of the things I do are within a couple miles of my house. I guess it's just that when I do things at home, I do them on my own time (or I don't).  And when I go out of the house, I am generally "making a commitment".

As of this week, I have three out of the house "commitments" weekly. And I plan to keep it that way.  I have a three hour volunteer gig. A three hour (and sometimes more with happy hour) knitting group. And thanks to my Diva group, a once a week lunch or movie or happy hour or.......!  In theory I can miss either the Diva thing or the knitting thing if I just don't feel like it for some reason (I usually do). I plan to add no more. Nothing. Nada. No senior college classes. No watercolor class at the rec center. No second volunteer gig. I can watch courses online at home with a subscription when I like. Utube can keep me busy with paints and crayons and who knows what else. And If I extend my volunteering it will be via occasional one off special events or advocacy done from home. 

The more blocks I add, the brighter it gets!

Obviously, there are other things I do. I exercise at home sometimes and in a class sometimes (depending on my mood of the day). I go to church (I suppose that's a fourth commitment but in my life it's simply habit) I still go to dinner or other social events with friends or family. I sew and bake and learn and draw and read and clean my house and take weekend trips and occasional day trips. But none of those are regular things that need to be scheduled around. They all happen occasionally rather than regularly. And that's the way I like it. And an awfully lot of them happen right here. In my house or garden. 

Other people, especially single people, plan more. Some plan less. But I enjoy being at home in my own little space. Equally important, I enjoy being at home alone in my own little space (the joke around here is that when the other person who lives here, who I see a couple hours a day on weekdays retires, we will have to each move to our own place). If, that is, you can consider living with two fairly large four legged creatures being alone!

Admittedly, my spontaneous activity will pick up beginning in September, as festival and event season begins in full-the local fall theater season (amateur and not), fairs, festivals, food events and who knows what else. But those are all as the mood strikes as well as one-offs, which is a different thing. And I still make sure to limit these, in order not to get over loaded (as well as wanting to spread out the fun). 

Somehow even in summer, soup and salad are my go to for lunch! I this case the soup was not exactly "light"

This week, I had a volunteer gig. On Wednesday my Diva gang went to a local jewelry emporium and made jewelry. And then cancelled happy hour because there was a sever thunderstorm and flood warning and we were all worried about our dogs. The previous week I went to Bonefish grill and had corn and crab chowder and also had a kitting afternoon. This coming week, I have a movie date Tuesday afternoon, Knitting on Wednesday and possibly an art gallery "walk" on Friday evening. The rest of the time I will be home, or doing my daily walk and/or work out. Which is perfect.

For me.


20 comments:

  1. I'm not a crafter, but wen I retire, I see myself baking and cooking more and writing more and more. I'd love to get little opportunity to write for a newsletter or something in my field. I think we like reading about your busy life is that you are busy for you-not because others say you need to do this or that. I want to retire like you someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somtetimes think that this is often not what I thought I would be doing in retirement. But it works for me!

      Delete
  2. I look at Olli classes all the time, too, but the ones that interest me are always in the mornings and my retirement years does NOT include getting up early in the morning. For anything! Where did you find the online class for how color effects you? I'd like to take that one.

    Your enthusiasm for whatever you tackle is infectious. I'm happy you are so happy living exactly how you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, its through the great courses online. I was taking the Great Courses Plus (which was like maybe 8 dollars a month for unlimited classes I want to say?) and then I realized that I could do that through Amazon Prime (I still pay a subscription for the great courses, but it's just one app or place I need to go). Oh, I just looked, they actually have a free trial right now. https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/?utm_source=US_PaidSearch&utm_medium=PaidSearchBrandGoogle&utm_campaign=143189&mkwid=s6avi7TYR_dt&pcrid=258696117761&pkw=great%20courses%20plus&pmt=e&c3apimn=6avi7TYR258696117761&intent=Marin+SEM+Brand&gclid=CjwKCAjwhevaBRApEiwA7aT53yHp3Qbltxzs4duRiVZtjuss0DJ4muZCPiLAqMF6dAb_pzGHPWvZcBoCivQQAvD_BwE

      Delete
    2. Lets try that again, shall we! https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com

      Delete
  3. I retired at the end of June five years ago at the age of 70. I enjoyed the freedom of time but by the end of the first year gradually got involved in commitments, places I had to be, deadlines, etc. A few months ago, I realized that I wasn't enjoying my retirement like I did the first year. So I'm unwinding from most of those things and it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. It's always good to re-evaluate and you will find your right place.And pace.

      Delete
  4. I want to take a college course for credit, a language. But, Spanish is all they teach at the local community college. bummer. Then, I decided on statistics. I have not checked into it yet. I do not want online. Most things I would do involve more walking than I can do. But, I really do not mind being home alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a yellow bracelet. They are few and far between or either I did not like what I saw. Finally, I found a yellow bracelet and matching necklace to match. I wanted them to wear with a black and white blouse and black pants.

      I agree with a regular commitment except for the three Tuesday lunches I attend. And, I will not schedule anything before noon, not even dr appointments.

      Delete
    2. I do try to not schedule too many things before noon, but my exercise class begins at 1130 and I am committed to that two days a week as well.

      Delete
  5. I too have several commitments per week and say no to more. One favorite commitment is our once a month Christian writers lunch (we have met for 10 years), and my church is setting up a once a month lunch for seniors and singles and I love that idea. Your schedule sounds ideal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have some monthly gigs in the mix, like my monthly womens dinner at church and such. One of the reasons I limit my weekly stuff is to embrace all the monthly and spontaneious things.

      Delete
  6. I often say I have been busier since I retired than I was while working, and that says a lot because I considered myself a workaholic. I think it carried into my retirement as well. Between qigong, arts and crafts and line dancing, Church, Weight Watchers meetings, days in the park, cooking, housework, hobbies, online classes, etc. some days I don't know whether I am coming or going. But I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everyone has their own level that works for them, it sounds like you are where you want to be. I need a BUNCH of down at home time, it keeps me centered. Many others do not, and I have learned we are all different.

      Delete
  7. I do think retirement takes constant readjustment just like our life before. It sounds like you have found an interesting mix that suits you for now. I did have to laugh at the number of people who won't do anything in the morning as I just signed up for 2 weeks of private swim lessons starting at 8:45 am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think some of us sleep late, and some of us get up at a fairly reasonable time, but it takes us some time to get moving. In the summer with the light, I am awakened between seven and eight because of the light in my east facing windwo (gonna get really dark curtains before next summer) and because the other person living here manually wageters the gardens daily in the heat starting at around six thirty. Even so, I dont get out of bed, I move slow and I keep my morning time that way. The earliest thing I do is silver sneakers at 113o

      Delete
  8. Still seem pretty busy to me Barb. My social life is pretty much going for coffee in the morning with a friend, my prayer shawl ministry group, and church.

    Even so I seem to have more projects going than I can finish so I have made a commitment to not start a new project until I finish an already started one. Not going well in this harvest season.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, avoid morning commitments away from home and even make medical appointments later in the morning than I used to do. Sounds like you’re finding your pace.

    One of retirements delights is the option of determining how many commitments we want. I think this can vary over time, or it has for me. An idea of mine has been adopted by our local Sr Services. I’ve agreed to provide some involvement but am making certain others will be involved to take on responsibilities, especially since I envision this as a long term program even after I’m gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, I’d like to explore the Great Courses.I see I can get am amazon subscription but I don’t think it is the same as the other Great Courses Plus subscription which runs? $14.99 a month or a yearly fee which is less? Which Great Courses are you subscribing to??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!