Monday, February 26, 2018

Vacationer? Traveler? All of the Above? None of the Above?

Yes, my friends, I did it. I tried to republish a post from three years ago, and through the copying, pasting, editing and so on, I inadvertently deleted one (and maybe both) of said post. Probably the most technologically incompetent thing since that day somewhere in the 80's I guess it was when I called my husband and asked him where I could find the "any" key. True story, never lived it down. Meanwhile the disaster disturbed me so much that it's nine at night, and I'm in my jammies and in bed, recovering and typing!

Lately, my eldest and I have been talking about the possibility of taking a girl cruise together. Not even a long one necessarily. She lives in Texas and there are piles of cruises leaving from Galveston going to Mexican and Caribbean ports of call. When we first talked about it I told her we had never taken a cruise in Europe because a single day in most places was just-not enough for me. Her response: Forget about the offshore cruises. This is Mexico and the Caribbean. Think about the beaches. Think about the water and the sun. We're not traveling, we're on vacation. Once said, I gave said cruise idea a second look.



It has come to me just lately that for the most part these days I am not a traveler. I am a vacationer and a day tripper primarily, with the occasional serious "travel trip" I mean, my well discussed planned 21 day train trip has to be considered travel, yes?  But it would be the first, serious trip in three years.  And while I'm not sure what the official definitions or differences are, when I look at what I want to do in the next year, the times I want to leave home are less than they were a few years ago. The places, they are definitely more vacation quality.  More and more, I am interested in finding a place (on the beach, in the mountains, in the woods on a lake), sitting myself down, relaxing and just "being'. Don't get me wrong, now, I still want to wander out to restaurants, look at some natural beauty and see some sights. My real purpose though, is sun, sand, seafood and water. Or in the case of the mountains, sun, peaks, game and beer.  And while I still enjoy the drive portion, the destination is at least as important as the journey these days. 

None of this has anything to do with the alone factor as such. I continued to travel and still travel alone, with great enjoyment. I've driven across the country in many directions by myself with great pleasure, and should I decide to travel further afield would do the same. I'm not afraid of being alone. I actuall feel I meet more people in those far away (or near) places than if I were in a group. And while that spa facation I'm talking about would be a girl's trip, my week to two weeks on a Texas beach would be fully alone. So whatever my temporary reason for deciding the nest in place on the beach or wherever, it's not about singlehood or widowhood.

Yes, this is a spa hotel. In Arizona. And on my list. 

So, yeah,  that train trip west is still on the horizon.. And that trip includes exploring San Francisco. But it also incorporates alot of time enjoying the train experience itself, and a full week in either the Tuscon and/or Marfa area. And every time I look at the map and think "But I've never been to Chicago (truly, I have never in my entire live been there except for the Airport, same for Atlanta), I look at the map some more and say "What about a week at Padre Island", or a cabin in Texas Hill Country, or a week in an Arizona Resort. Or heck, a week in a Hilton Head condo-and I hate golf!  




A comment from a family member, along with some comments on the blog have suggested to me that perhaps rather than not wanting to travel, I am being directed more to less populated places that are more in tune with nature as oppposed to big city type travel with museums, shows and the like. This may well be true, as I look at driving to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Montana environs. Nothing is wrong with this, just a different thing for a semi-city girl who traditionally appreciates big city travel, art museums, shows and the like.

Also, it's also much easier for me to say, cut down on travel, appreciate vacation travel, or concentrate on US travel as someone who has had unique opportunities by living in Europe for as many years as I have. This alone gives me a different perspective than the average travler/retiree.

So. other than said possible train travel, a week on Padre Island. A week at a VRBO in either Santa Fe or western Montana/Idaho. And either a spa vacation or a cruise with my daughter. Chicago? Some other time. Then again-a train trip to Chicago for the weekend to see Hamilton?  Perhaps it won't be so long after all. Who knows. Life is, after all, an adventure!

What about you. Are you a traveler? A vacationer?  An "I'd rather be at home type".  All of the above?  None of the above?  Does it really matter?

17 comments:

  1. My husband and I are early retirees and, at this stage in our lives, we are definitely travelers. Last summer, we logged over 11,000 miles on our third cross country National Parks camping trip with our travel trailer. Our plan is to continue to see as much of this grand and glorious country as possible while we're still in good health and intrigued by travel. We're very much aware that our opportunities may be limited in the future by choice or necessity. When not on the road, we tend to be homebodies, enjoying projects around the house and getting out on little adventures - like walking through our local parks or eagle watching along the river. As to your question, Barbara - Does it really matter? - I believe it matters only from the perspective that the ways we choose to spend our time directly influence our happiness quotient and the level of contentment we achieve in our retirement. Every morning we wake up with the opportunity to make it a great day - it doesn't matter whether we're traveling, on vacation or simply enjoying a quiet day at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with the last part. And have consider that perhaps part of my travel lessening is simply that I would prefer more natural parks/nature stuff as opposed to city travel, or at least in addition to. My trip to Jackson Hole and yellow Stone and Missoula will probably clarify that experience, although I'm not sure we'll get much farther north.

      Delete
  2. No, no and no. I am an artist and all I want to do is be in my studio painting. I hate being away from my art supplies.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The travel bug has not bitten you at all I see. Honestly I take my art supplies and knitting wherever I goest. The quilting not so much.

      Delete
  3. One foot in each - traveler and vacationer? We, too, have decided we have not seen enough of our own country. The fall will see us in our truck for about thirty days in a 6,000 mile loop from coast to Cascades. We keep putting Israel on the calendar- and taking it off. My husband prefers to just make our home his paradise.
    My dd and I will be taking her kiddos to some closer places this summer. Being within driving distance to three major cities, we plan on doing some great exploring! At the end of the summer we will be spending two weeks at a beach.
    So both, vacation and travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you on t he this country thing. There is just tooo much I have not seen here, even with all my driving. I suspect the truth is that I am in the both camp as well and the vacation aspect just calls me at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I am three-four years out from retirement and am looking forward to both. I plan to retire at 61 or 62 and hope to have a decade of health good enough to do some serious travel (Africa, Latin America, Eastern and Southern Europe). I also love down time in a place of natural beauty whether it's the Oregon Coast or Central Oregon or a beach in Hawaii. I can forsee a day when I prefer to be more of a homebody, but hope to log some serious miles before then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I am a BIG fan of Eastern Europe travel and some of my best road trip experiences have been in Poland, Prague and the like. As I mentioned elsewhere, I expect my vacation call may be away of telling me to spend more time in parks and non urban environements than it is to give up travel.

      Delete
  5. True confession. While I was reading your first paragraph, I was looking for my 'any key.' LOL

    I love to go to travelogues but I doubt I'll be traveling again. I didn't mind traveling when my husband was alive because I trusted I could never get into any trouble he couldn't get us out of. Traveling along does not appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I still remember the "press any key to do...." command and placing the call. We have to do what is comfortable to us. Traveling alone has become my jam, i actually turn down group travel because I love it so much. If I did something with my daughter that would be my only second time traveling with some one!

      Delete
  6. I like this distinction between travel and vacation. Most of my travel has been to connect with people - my penpal of 50 yrs in England& Portugal; an uncle in Australia; friends in Costa Rica, Jamaica, Mexico; my cousin in TX as well as travel throughout western US & a trip to the Canadian Maritimes. Vacation i.e. R&R was certainly a part of those travel trips. My best vacation is when I put on my vacation-state-of-mind to enjoy my home with its green river hill vistas from the front verandah. Like you, there are many parts of this great country that I haven't seen yet. So lately I've been thinking a lot about visiting my nation's capital of Ottawa & taking a St. Lawrence river cruise. Part of the fun is the planning & anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, a river cruise. Love a River Cruise, I must say!

      Delete
  7. Just don't take a cruise out of Galveston in cold weather as you won't be far enough south for many warm days. We made the mistake of doing that several years ago for our honeymoon after a Feb. 14th wedding. We spent all but 2 of the 7 days inside the ship looking out at cold rainy dreary weather. I was even cold inside most of the time since I mainly took warm weather clothes. Haven't been able to get my husband on a cruise since then. Cruises are wonderful if the weather is nice and tropical climates are definitely my favorite anytime even though I live in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would definitely be done during warm weather, and we would be taking the one that goes to Jamaica and Grand Cayman as my daughter lived there for many years!

      Delete
  8. Not sure what we would be called. When we vacation we do so in Canada, so many lovely places to see here. When we travel, that's when we go to another country. Next travel plans now that the furnace venting is done will be to Greece and the Greek Isles.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year we're taking on a major travel experience, but will settle in Tokyo for three months in the spring which I think is going to seem like a vacation after all that traveling. We plan to go to Japan every spring after that to spend time with our son and his family (vacation), and then travel in the fall with Greece and area at the top of the list. We're fortunate that my husband's time in the military gave us many, many opportunities to travel all over the U.S., but there are still places we want to see, some for the second or third time (we've got the National Park Western Loop trip on our bucket list) and we're interested in seeing more of Canada. As long as we're healthy, and the money holds out . . . .

    For my husband, it's travel and not a vacation if he has to do any driving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There can also moreover some precise strategies in keeping with location or knowledge. Your competencies depend on how you bought this opportunity and wherein you have professional. non-public or expert training may distinguish between each other. idea over right here are beneficial for distinct guys additionally because it did for me. retirement communities near me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!