Monday, January 22, 2018

Some Less Than Fun Things I've Learned.....

..........Since I wrote my previous post late Thursday night: 





1.  The flu shot does not prevent you from getting the common cold.

2.  The common cold can lay you flat for a few days-and unlike the flu there is no medicine as such (yes, medical types,  I do know I have a cold).

3. Nothing is more miserable than that "half-light" phase where you really can't get your eyes open to do so much as read, but you also can't actually fall asleep because you are miserable (hey, I am rarely sick, and while I have learned to tolerate chronic pain, sick is a different thing, so let me whine).

4.  Doesn't matter how high quality it is, after 24 hours of even good quality Kleenex, the nose will be raw. Which is why I grabbed some remnants of fleece from my rag bag for my nose in addition to upping the decongestant (don't judge me!).   




5. Even when healthy, we do not do snow removal well these days. It may be time to bite the bullet and hire a teenager or see if a teenager needs community service credits for any snow in the future. Fortunately, after yesterday's six inches it's almost fifty this afternoon, meaning walks are mainly clear. And we have sunny skies and mild weather for awhile.

6.  You know that old saw about how you'll feel better if you get up and shower and dress and get out of your jammies? Um.............nope!

7. Jello cups, regular coke, grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese all have little or negative nutritive value, but boy do they taste good. At least I had a vegetable serving and a fruit serving-orange juice and tomato soup.

8,  I've decided not to take either tylenol PM or nightime cold medicines as a matter of course, although if it gets bad enough  may break down for a single night.  I've recently learned that the correltion between both nightime meds like Tylenol PM and cold medicine is pretty incontrovertable for people after sixty. While I wont worry about a single night's use in the future I'll be relying on sleepy time tea and the like.

FYI:  http://blog.aarp.org/2015/01/29/common-sleep-and-allergy-medications-linked-to-dementia-alzheimers/

9.  And, because it would be cruel to leave you all with nothing but thoughts of sickness, there's this:  If you're the best football team in the country, with the best quarterback, you shouldn't have to rely on officials giving you no calls to win a playoff game. If there was ever any doubt that officials treat the Patriots with kindness and generosity, yesterday was it. The Jags should most likely be going to the Superbowl. I rest in the knowledge that instead they'll probably take Eli Manning as their other quarterback and make 'em pay next year. In case you think it's only my opinion: 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/everyone-thinks-the-refs-celebrated-with-patriots-handed-them-afc-championship-victory/

https://nesn.com/2018/01/why-max-kellerman-believes-jaguars-got-robbed-by-officials-vs-patriots/

And now I'm going to lift up my recliner, take that awful tasting thera flu and go back into hibernation for at least a day.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are ill. We resorted to our grand's "Boogie Wipes" and Puff with Aloe for noses. Raw- OW! Fleece was a great idea.
    That was a crazy game- for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's nice to know those little pieces of fabric are good for something-and they are washable!

      Delete
  2. Sorry that you aren't feeling up to snuff. Hope you get better soon, or as the old saying about colds goes.... 7 days coming, 7 days here, 7 days going.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colds are miserable...at least it hasn't affected your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I come up for air every so often. and have a funny remark when I do.

      Delete
  4. I can commiserate because I've had the same cold and sinus infection that it sounds like you've had. It's surprising how quickly it can get you! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a killer I tell ya. Seems m son in law in texas also has the came crud, bless his heart.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you're under the weather.Today is day9 of my "cold" but it has been a nasty one. 5 days in pajamas..VERY unlike me. Just went out of the house yesterday to grocery shop at veggie market.Did me in. Am getting dressed now, though, had a pedicure today,and today is over all a lot better, I use fabric handkerchiefs= no nose soreness at all. We have at least 2 dozen.. my husband refuses to use kleenex ever. Ny Quil is my friend: relief,sleep and really interesting dreams!! Patriots AGAIN!!!??? Well,I'll be rooting for my old hometown team, THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!! Very exciting! Feel better,Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forced myself to shower and get into sweats insead of pjs, not sure why. I got up and moved round for like fifteen minutes and then I was like...nope, back to the recliner. I'm not an alarmist, but do read the note I put up recently about nightime cold meds in this blog-actually, I probably am a paranoid alarmist, but.........

      Delete
  6. I have been ill since about Dec 10, first the flu. I was sick with it for a week before I went to doctor. I have never had the flu before and got the vaccination. So, I did not realize I had the flu. After a week I called and asked when I would get better. They told me about three weeks. Then, I got a uti and it did not go away, just got worse even with ER visit and meds. I feel like I have been pinned to the bed. When I went out for milk today, my hands were shaking visibly.

    I read the link and thought I was safe until I got to pseudoephedrine. If I don't take that, I am sunk. My sinuses need it. Now, I need to see what else I can take that has no side-effects. Thanks for that link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you feel better soon. So many people down for the count with the crud. I was so hoping the Patriots would lose. Next year. . .

    I quit using the nighttime sleep aids and another medication I was on because of the link with dementia. Watching a friend with Alzheimer's deteriorate week after week this year was an eyeopener. I changed my diet to LCHF, too.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!