1. After exploring, asking opinions, trying other options and so on and so forth, I have returned to my trusty Lancome face cream. Yep, this is unfrugal and it's making me happy. I spent quite some time on a search for something in between the Pond's and the Lancome level. Nothing worked, or else nothing had sunscreen (which I need daily, all day). My skin is so dry that without the right cream, I can end up moisturizing it multiple times (voiding any opportunity for make-up, even blusher). A couple days ago I purchased the Beinfat day cream at Ulta (on sale and with rewards) and as soon as the cream I am using now is used up, I'll get the blessed night cream. I do want to explore making my own creams along with healing salves in the new year. But meanwhile, I and my skin are happy, happy, happy. And before anyone asks, yes, I know about Olay, and Aveeno, and Cerave, and Cetaphil and.......this is what works for me.
2. Quilting is so much more fun when it's leisurely. I've pretty well decided that any future gifted quilts will be either chosen a year ahead, or else gifted from a finished product. Presenting my brother with this unfinished product has allowed me to finish when I feel like it. Since I love to quilt, it's moving along. But what a blessing to be able to create when and where I choose. While I'm again embracing the idea of selling my art, I've realized that whatever it is will be a completed item, done at my own pace for enjoyment, rather than requests on a time line. Cause that's the way I roll, if you will.
3. I'm loving the fact that I've now allowed myself to stay in bed while I write and meditate in the morning. I've been grabbing a teeny lunch cooler with my morning coke (I need my caffeine, people!). Once I wake up (except for the obvious middle aged side trip), I'm staying in bed for an extra forty minutes or so. I have my morning pills and vitamins, I do my meditation and prayer, I do yoga stretches and bed, and yes, I write. And THEN I get out of bed, dress, and face my day. It's amazing how much this extra hour prepares me for the rest of the day, even though I'm still in bed. Really, I'm doing most of a "miracle morning" in bed-without the exercise. Because I exercise mid day.
|Morning beverage, prayer beads, candle, Echo dot for music, and notebook and doodling pens|
|An app for everything, including five minute meditations!|
4. I am thrilled that I live in Colorado. There's been snow and freezing temperatures in Florida, Minnesota, Chicago, and California, Texas and more. Never mind rain, mud, landslides and flooding. While our days have not been quite as sunny as normal, our fifty degree no snow Colorado weather is making me thankful. Admittedly, I we could use some more rain, and I'm sure some of my Colorado friends who ski would like some more snow.
5. My slower routine (which think I'm keeping until the spring), has allowed for more knitting and drawing-which of course is always and excuse to watch more TV. If it wasn't for football (and basketball, and European Soccer, and baseball), I'd mainly be happy with my Fire stick and Netflix and Amazon Prime. Since Christmas, I've plowed through the second season of Travelers (don't let the "time travel" description turn you off, it's fantastic), and a Netflix French thriller series La Manta (I can honestly say that it was like the subtitles weren't even there). Next on my list? Another subtitled series, The Frozen Dead. I'm taking a break from British cop shows for how, and for whatever reason, The Crown simply isn't calling me.
7. I'm again embracing my slow cooker, as well as the stick blender I got for Christmas. My little suggestion list for my family secret Santa person included both a portable mixer and a stick blender. I was presented with both (he must have sensed that much as I love my Kitchen Aid, there are times when it's just too big). Yesterday, I spent a few hours looking for new recipes (casserole and slow cooker) and will be sharing both a goulash soup and really easy broccoli and cheese soup recipe in the next "Frugal Slow Cooker" post. Both of which allow me to use said immersion blender.
8. I'm concentrating on strength when it comes to fitness, and I'm loving it, although some Tylenol at bedtime has been on the menu. Weights, stretchy bands and exercises using walls and chairs are helping to make me strong, and I am noticing it. I'm not avoiding aerobics, don't get me wrong (It's amazing how many steps you can use going up and down ever single aisle of a Kroger Marketplace at a decent clip), but strength and meditation are my goals for this year.
9. Last but not least, I am embracing the "little things" that bring comfort to me, especially at home. Hot chocolate and tea, candles, throws and pillows, personalized music and dark chocolate are all little things that make my day just a tiny bit better. And puppies, always the pupplies.
|Canine love, nuff said?|
And now I need to leave my comfort zone and head to that grocery store where I can combine fitness and shopping. This weekend? Football and a trip to the movies are on the menu-along with some slow cooking!