Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A Bucket List Here, A Summer Goal There!

So here we are, a day ahead of summer, and the temperature outside is 95 in my neck of the woods.  Let's just say on this day that not much is getting done and leave it at that. I cooked extra steaks yesterday just so I would not have to cook today. Tomorrow?  Hello, slow cooker!!


My newest toy!
Lazy hazy days of summer or no, I do have some things I want to get done this summer, and so I am joining other bloggers, including Andrea and Tamara on their summer fun journey. Most of my bucket list has to do with things around the house and home, since I stay close to Denver during the summer and don't have a big event or travel until the fall.  So what is on my plate for the summer? Although the general consensus seems to be 20 activities, I've gone one over.  And while it's not on the list, I got an Echo Dot yesterday by mail (a thank you gift for my puppy time), that I also need to learn to play with:
  1. Complete three handmade gifts by mid September (A knitted shawl and quilted throw for my brother and  yoga bag and mat for my daughter).  
    Since my  son doesn't stop by, I feel comfortable saying this is one of his gifts, except there will be real album covers in the center.
  2. Hire someone to stabilize and fix our poor pergola and then get estimates on winterizing the thing.We had a monster of a dead tree removed and they did their best, but the pergola was damaged and that swing is my home!   
  3. Spend at least an hour outside just enjoying the patio,yard and dogs every day. One of the reasons I rarely travel in the summer is the perfect weather here and the fact that my yard is simply glowing and blooming in July and August to the point that I don't want to leave. Admittedly that's because I share a home with the plant whisperer.
  4. Learn how to use our gas grill. Yea, please don't laugh.  If my son moves out, right now I might never have a steak again.
  5. Turn all the remnants and unused stash in my studio into saleable items. I tend to always buy more fabric/yarn/paper than I need for a project. Time to work that stuff.
  6. Go to exercise class two days a week (2 hours each of Silver Sneakers and Yoga),
  7. Read at least two books each month that are out of my comfort zone a bit. American Gods is first on the list, I'm determined to read and then watch. 
    Perhaps this would be the second choice? Although it's not that far out of my comfort range!
  8. Take two full day or overnight driving trips in July, August and September and aim for one in June.
  9. Plan two summer short trips, one to the sand dunes of Colorado and the other to Montana.  
  10. Complete the introduction and two chapters at a minimum of my DIY Craft book (and perhaps ask any readers if they would like to be testers).
  11. Completely dig out and streamline my bedroom and studio. A project left from spring goals and undone. Not so much a declutter as find a way to make things work better for me.
  12. Get seven hours of sleep every night. A goal met mainly successfully in the spring, but that I want to continue tracking
  13. Have a "use it up" July.  And as much a  no spend one as possible. This goal was an epic fail in May/June and I have GOT to get my freezer thawed and my cabinets empty enough to properly clean
  14. Hire a housekeeper and a Handy person (or a housekeeper who can caulk and such). The time has come, the walrus said. The things I can reach in this house are spotless. Everything else-not so much.
  15. Start and Finish the Genealogy Course through the Great Courses.  I just finished the drawing course and  need inspiration as I am hung up in my search right now. No Olli courses till fall, so I need to go online!
  16. Take an introductory weaving or felting class. Which one I begin with will depend on the date
  17. Do something small for each of my kids by mail each month.  I'm getting my daughter a succulent gift box in July as well as sending her some restored photos.
  18. Hit the beach in August when I travel to Texas again to see daughter and grand puppies. This got pushed aside in May due to puppy sitting needs and it's one of the two places I am looking at to get a second place and semi snowbird.
  19. Entertain outside at least once each month. I've drastically cut back on the entertaining in my life (at least done at home) but summer outside is low effort and the perfect time.
  20. Look at finding a way to have more of a capsule wardrobe, but one that does NOT involve project 333. I need something for two seasons twice a year. I mean in one week a few weeks ago it was below freezing one day and 90 the next. This one is a work in progress.
  21. Find out about local politics and become involved with the folks in my local party and chapter who are actively becoming involved in the midterms and raise my hand. Sorry folks, this makes 21, AND it's political, at least sort of.  I am an activist at heart, and most politics are local.
What's missing?  Self care.  I probably have less self care goals than others because I already allow myself regular pedicures and pampering due to my injuries and health. Major travel, which happens in the fall and spring. Anything about volunteering (because I volunteer two to three days per week the rest of the year), and anything business related. Those will be on my fall list.

Happy summer (or almost summer) everyone. Do you have any plans and goals for the coming months?

22 comments:

  1. Great list! I didn't know that Great Courses had a genealogy course - do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juhli, here you go. My library has it, and I actually do the great courses for 20 a month and do them online! http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/discovering-your-roots-an-introduction-to-genealogy.html

      Delete
    2. Sorry, should have said great courses plus. As many classes as you want for 20 a month!

      Delete
  2. Great list, Barbara. I'll be traveling to Costa Rica next week, and Spain and Gibraltar in August. In between the two trips, I'd like to enjoy the local summer events. It's Canada's 150th birthday this July and there are celebrations year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a list. I need to make my own, Did use up all the freezer stuff and canned goods in the cupboard. We're in the 90's here too. Shopping up a gas grill, taking my son along. My fall back is grocery store rotisserie chicken. Also tracking down a handy person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a quilter, of course I was drawn to your quilt image. I hadn't seen that pattern - perfect for a musician or record lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, it's snapped from one of the Fons and Porter books Im pretty sure (maybe quilting quickly?). Im going to actually pick it up today. It's curved piecing, but I'm trying to decide if I should applique-still under consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara!! What a great list!!
    I live in Denver too, so I totally know what you mean about the bipolar weather!! It makes it such a challenge!!
    And entertaining outside seems so much easier--a grill & a beer and you're set!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, I concur with #3. I practice the holiday state of mind right on my own front verandah, taking in the verdant scenery. Re: gas bbq. The best thing I ever did was start using a meat thermometer when grilling. I aim to entertain at home at least monthly and my go-to event is a brunch. There seems to be a little less preparation for a breakfast based menu and I have more energy earlier in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ashamed to say that I do not even know how to turn the puppy on, or to replace the propane. I will learn, I will learn. Lol

      Delete
  8. Hi Barbara! I love your list and the 'Silver Sneakers'. That sounds a little like my running friends and we call ourselves the Saturday Sisters. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's lists and getting some ideas for myself. Happy Summer!
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond
    http://www.sizzlingtowardssixty.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue. Silver sneakers is a seniors exercise porgram if you are not familar. It allows me to do aerobic exercise from a chair if needed! Please come on back.

      Delete
  9. Your list is very admirable, Barbara, and I'm particularly inspired by #21 on your list. I'm making a bow right now to get to know our new assembly people after our upcoming move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what happens. I have a congressman that is basically gone in 18 barring a surprising shocker tomorrow, and I'd like to see someone else in that space, but I havent been seriously active in years!!!

      Delete
  10. I had to take a nap after I read your list! Seriously, where do you find the time and most of all energy? I must be an old f---!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is over three months, Mary. I actually have a very lazy, laid back retirement!

      Delete
  11. Good luck on your bucket list, Barbara. I'm glad to see you included some self-care items like enjoying the yard and getting enough sleep. For me, those are the kinds of things that can too easily get overlooked if they're not on "the list." Enjoy your summer!

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie. I am very good about allowing myself small pleasures already (like the Friday morning movie) and I actually have a blog post about peducures and massages being medical care when you are in my condition,as well. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  12. Great list! I started reading your blog before I retired and it has provided me with a road map to a creative joyful retirement! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas (and experiences) you share. I will be making a summer list myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evilina and please continue to stop by.

      Delete
  13. Wow a great list. I'm reading in Australia - where it's winter - but taking inspiration from your list too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was confused between Amazon Echo and Apple Sense. But I happily purchased Echo :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!