Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Asking the Readers: Where Should My Road Trip Go?

I quickly apologize to anyone who was confused folks. The "stuff" post is coming, but I accidentally published that mess!!



This morning I got up at ten am.  That's right all you worriers. This over scheduled gal slept till ten this morning. Have I mentioned that my top ten of retirement includes a lack of an alarm and allowing my body to be it's own clock?  In all fairness, it's usually closer to nine and sometimes 8, but I am taking my THC in anew form and it's taken longer to start to work and then working longer.

The rest of my day has pretty well followed suit. After my morning time (which consists of crawling into my chair by the window with my can of coke, journal and tablet and spending some time waking up), I had a healthy breakfast of eggs and toast. I then leisurely got dressed, hopped in the car and went to join my fellow knitters for a few hours. I passed on happy hour, coming home to bake some cookies/brownie, feed the dogs and let them out.

I now have a Shepherd's pie from Schwan's in the oven, a blanket on my leggs and a book and notebook in the basket next to me. I've forced myself to walk for fifteen minutes (still getting over the fear of falling and looking for walking alternatives). Later on after dinner I'll do my strengthening exercise, read some more, think about what I need to pack for Texas (suntan time!). Maybe, perhaps, I'll try and watch a little of American Gods, although somehow somewhere I think I should read the book first.

Meanwhile, Texas. Or not Texas, depending. One of the joys in retirement (for me) is to make last minute changes, and so I have done this week. This weekend, I'll be heading to Texas, where I'll spend a week with my daughter and son in law. Then, I'll spend a week being the dog whisperer for four beagles (I'll see friends for lunch, hit the movies and quilt stores, and mainly enjoy the patio and full on relaxation in a house not mine! Finally, I'll hit the beach for a day or two if the weather agrees. Coming from a coast, every so often you just have to see open water. It is what it is.

What I'm not doing is taking a long hill country drive and hitting both Austin and San Antonio, as planned. Why, you may ask?? Well, it's like this.  Recently I joined a meetup called The Crazy Old Bat Society and Booklunch club.  I kid you not. Books and food. It works for me.  They are also planning a trip to San Antonio. At the beginning of November.  Know what else is happening at the beginning of November?  The Houston Quilt show, one of the two biggest quilt shows in the country. My final reason was-Oktoberfest. Because this former German girl appreciates Oktoberfest in one of the most Germanic places in the US.


Which is all fine and dandy. Except that leaves me with two unplanned vacation weeks and budget to use elsewhere (probably in the summer), and another vacation week or so between now and Christmas. 

So my question to my readers is-where should I go and when. I'm looking for two, two week vacations before Christmas. In the US, traveling by car or train. I'm not afraid of heat (added because visiting friends in Arizona and California is certainly one option). I prefer as much man made beauty as nature. And while I enjoy a variety of experience, climbing Mesa Verde or sleeping on the ground are no longer among them.


So tell me. If you had a week or two in the US, where would you go?  Forgetting for the moment about money, where would you go and when. I'm open to all areas, although somewhere I would like to end up near the ocean, and I'm not going to list the places I've been, because many places are worth seeing again. Heck, I lived in Washington DC for 20 years and still haven't seen everything that metro area has to offer. In my head, one of these vacations is some stops with an end destination and the other is a circular route.

And there you have it folks, inspire me! And keep it coming!!!!!!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Barb, I am glad to hear your slept in! LOL.

    As for vacation ideas, I too love the water and if I had a chance for vacation would spend a week or two driving down the Oregon to California coastline. I did once long ago and it was beautiful. Though perhaps 2 weeks is too long depending on what you hope to do. I didn't have that long. Alternatively I would spend a week in northern California and stop off in Arizona on the way back home. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with your vacation time. Have fun planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial thinking was driving down to Arizona and seeing some blogging friends, heading to California driving up the coast and taking a different route home! Two weeks is just a thought. One week works as well, lol

      Delete
  2. Christmas time? I might go down to I-10 and go through the New Mexico pueblos- stop at some of the trading posts- and then take the I-17 to Phoenix. Leaving Phoenix I would do the 1-8 to SanDiego- the fruit stands are amazing and the desert is beautiful. Go up the 1(PCH) to San Fran. Loop back down the 15 to Vegas and then head home. All of those drives are excellent.
    Saying that- it often snows in October along that route (the I-10). That is how Flagstaff got its name- a group of railroad workers got stuck for the winter and raised a flag until Spring. You could go down 60.... If it were early May, I would do the canyon lands instead of New Mexico.
    So many choices. I love road trips in that area. Heck, I love road trips. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pacific Northwest is very doable from where you are. DH has some walking issues too so we're looking at the train from LA to Seattle - though driving the PCH north is lovely.
    Also I recommend reading American Gods before watching - highly readable and I think makes the show much easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do read American Gods first. If I were planning a trip I'd see as much of the Pacific coast as I could with a stay in San Deigo, CA just because I'd like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in agreement with driving up the California coast - so much to see and take in along the way, and while it might be rainy or just cloudy, and definitely will be cool, the Oregon Coast is also lovely, and the weather in the PNW will be fairly mild compared to other parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we would take a drive from northern california to visit my brother in Alabama. That would be a fun road trip and then coming back, make a stop in Kansas so my husband could do some genealogy tracking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with your reading who vote for you driving up the California coast. Thanks for asking us...and enjoy your trip wherever you travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem to be the direction doesn't it!

      Delete
  8. Two suggestions (b/c these are things I want to do): Visit Civil War sites, from Gettysburg, PA, to Petersburg, VA and beyond. Or else, follow the Oregon Trail from Independence, MO to Portland OR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, Im sure you will love the former. I, however, raised 2 kids in the VA school systems. Between school, scouts and family adventures I have pretty much been to all of those. I have not seen some of the more southern sites such as Vicksburg.

      Delete
  9. If you make it to the Phoenix area we must meet for a meal, or at least coffee and swapping stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I would drive the California Coast. Beautiful. We lived there for 5 years in San Diego and like you mentioned above, never saw all it had to offer. Busy raising kids, working etc. Never even went to Disneyland until we moved to Texas! So now, I would go back and see it all. Traveled on east coast but not the same. California, Arizona, New Mexico, - beautiful. I would do that if I only had a limited time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you life is full of adventures! I lie this way! thanks for posting this 'mess' :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once you choose hope anything will be possible.

    Are you going through any kind of spiritual attack or affliction or you want to get your ex husband or wife back? Dr. GURILARICO GURU THE GREAT is a traditional herbal and spiritual doctor that can help you out. Contact him to help you solve your problem for you. He is based in US. His contact details is

    Email:dr.gurilarico@gmail.com
    Call :+1(832) 263-7128, +1(832) 730-7296.
    Website: http://drgurilaricoguru.weebly.com
    He is always ready to help you for free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!