Wednesday, March 8, 2017

A Retirement Playlist?...And a Kindle Tip

This morning the American Hospital Association came out against the new health care bill, asking congress to protect patients as well as the elderly, ill, and infirm (the new bill does just the opposite. Hopefully the politicians will listen to the experts, but these days who knows.

Now, about that Kindle tip!!!! Recently I learned a Kindle secret!  Since most libraries don't renew kindle books, and we don't always get our books read in the two or three weeks allotted, it can be frustrating. Well, there is a solution, depending on what you are "reading on". Most kindle books are downloaded through Amazon. If you have the ability to put your device on "airplane mode", Amazon (or whomever) will not be able to pull the book back. And there you have it: How to get extra reading time on your kindle!

One of the many, many mystery authors I read is John Sandford. His series of Prey books rarely get old or repeat themselves, and the characters have stood the test of time. In 2005, I was taking a Scandinavian cruise-Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki.  Along with the cruising in the land of the midnight sun, there were a few inland trips requiring long boring bus rides, during which I read my mystery. And then my husband read, and then my 16 year old son read. Let's just say the book was a topic of discussion.

Our talks were not about the plot, but rather the sub plot of this book (which I promise will give nothing else a way). You see, in the sub plot of this particular mystery novel, the wife of our protagonist had given him an MP3 player, along with a $100 credit. Enough to purchase 100 rock songs. And so, along with tracking brutal serial killers, Lucas and his cohorts spend their "down time" trying to agree on the best 100 songs of rock. The eventual list contains two versions of a single song (Knocking on Heaven's Door) and has nary a Beatles song in sight.

What has all this got to do with me?  When it comes to technology, I am trying to enter the new era. Looking ahead, I have a long Texas road trip in May, and a train trip in August/September, as well as all the normal short weekend getaways. I don't know about other travelers, but my road trips take me into some true radio dead zones. Either that, or places I have to scramble and scan to find a non-country non-farming radio station. I do take books on tape, but find that I prefer music as I drive. I also prefer to walk alone, with music.

Traditionally, "in house", I either have an itunes play list on my laptop, I listen to Pandora (and spend time doing thumbs up or down), or once in awhile the music on my cable channels. None of which are very mobile except for Pandora (and that uses data), and I've not been too successful and making disc play lists. So, my daughter has given me an old Ipod so that I can download music and take it with me. I am hoping that I can also do audible books.

But what to put on my Ipod, at least for starters. When it comes to music I am eclectic. Rock, blues, classical, bluegrass, the list goes on. My itunes downloads are in the hundreds. So, should I make multiple play lists, or should I put Layla, White Bird, and The Hungarian Dances all in a row?  Decisions, decisions!

Meanwhile, what would be on your play list, should you have one?


13 comments:

  1. oh music is wonderful becasue it fits my mood some days. Some days blues, old and new. I love rock n roll, I'm a gal who grew up late 60's and 70's so of course my love of that era is strong. I like some country like vince gill and while that is more blue grass than country that does it for me as well.
    The other night I was in a pensive mood, alone having a glass of wine and michael buble fit the bill. Music can calm my nerves, soothe my soul and fix all that ails me. Isn't it grand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and my tastes in music are wide and far depending on my mood.

      Delete
  2. I would put plenty of Bob Dylan on my play list (Lay Lady Lay, Spanish Boots of Spanish Leather, Knocking on Heaven's Door, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Kindle tip! Sometimes the shorter time for library downloads can be very motivating, other times I just can't get a book finished. I'm going to check right now if I can do this.

    I also just signed up for Book Bub (https://www.bookbub.com/home?mid=1-13014-16990410), where you can buy eBooks, including recent best-sellers for just $1.99 or $2.99. I'm trying not to buy this year, but if I can't get a download this may be the next best option. They send a notice to my email every day of books that are available on the cheap - offers are usually good for just one day.

    I am still a fan of screaming guitars and hard rock, and Stevie Ray Vaughan tops my playlist. I could listen to Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Eric Clapton, and the Rolling Stones for a long time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasional if the library no longer has a kindle version I may get a real book b ut like you I try for download first and then..

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the Kindle tip. Sometimes I find the short library downloads motivating, but other times I just can't finish. I will be checking this out!

    I also just signed up for Book Bub (https://www.bookbub.com/home?mid=1-13014-16990410) - they have recent best-sellers available every day for just $1.99 or $2.99. I'm trying not to buy anything for my Kindle this year, but if I can't get a download I'll turn here. The specials only last for a day though.

    I'm still a big fan of screaming guitars and rock 'n' roll, so Stevie Ray Vaughn tops my list. I could listen to him all day, as well as Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Eric Clapton, etc.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question about putting the Kindle into airplane mode: If a downloaded book cannot be returned by Amazon on time, will the library start charging a late fee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, to my knowledge they do not, the library consideres it returned (since Amazon collects it).

      Delete
  6. On my playlist....lots of Classic Rock, especially Eagles and Don Henley. Also John Denver, Leonard Cohen, Yusuf/Cat Stevens.
    If you like different types of music I think a classical playlist, country list, etc. So you can pick whichever fits your mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leon Russell - "A Song for You" https://youtu.be/37dw2r45Xzg, and his "Delta Lady."

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are a fan of the Beatles, you might enjoy George Martin's In My Life. I'm a big fan of Roseanne Cash's The List. Apparently her father, Johnny Cash, gave her a list of 100 essential country songs which could have been called 100 essential American songs. I've been turned on to a lot of music through music sound tracks - Honeymoon in Vegas, Message in a Bottle, Boys on the Side, P.S. I Love You. Like Margaret, sometimes it's Meatloaf and sometimes it's Enya, depending upon the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the downsides of having a career in radio: I am tired of everything I played when I was a DJ and everything I told other stations to play when i was a consultant. My playlists tend to be more current than oldies, or World music from France, Africa, and South America. Why? It isn't burned out for me.

    About your Kindle tip: I didn't know that, but it makes all the sense in the world. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lots to share a crucial blog which are related to Retirement Living.It's very beneficial to all which take Retirement where he find to best house for stay . Retirement Living In FL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!