Sunday, February 26, 2023

Wecome to Making it in Retirement

I love retirement. I’m not sure ever did not love (or at least like a lot) being retired. Even though it was forced on me at a fairly early age. Even though due to my own financial stumbles life has required adjustments. Even though with two chronic and two autoimmune diseases I am not doing the things at this time in retirement that I did twelve years ago when retirement began.


I enjoy controlling my own time. I enjoy doing almost nothing. I enjoy sitting on the patio and reading. I enjoy traveling and discovered late in life that the smaller trips are as fun and meaningful as the ones that cross oceans. I enjoy lunching with friends, hanging out and making art on a restaurant patio with people who are all half my age and much much more.


But mainly I love making. Making things, but also making food and making fun, and more. Really, I like to make stuff. Most of that stuff is physical, like food, art and words, but not all. I make stuff for me, to give to others, to sell. Even when I am doing the so -called experience part of life, I am making on some level.


And that is what I need to write about here. Much of the year (in addition to adjusting to new health and other issues) has been spent figuring out how to do that and if I wanted to do that and if people will read about that-at least the people who have been patient with me and hung around this blog.


And so here I am, back full time. Much of what is in those first few paragraphs will become my new “about me/meet Barb” introduction. 


It will be an experiment, but I have the rough outlines. I will still blog about retirement and the good and bad and okay things that happen along the way, but much more will be about the doing portion. I imagine more than a few posts will be short and to the point, pictures only and some will be picture heavy. But there will still be plenty of room for long missives like this one, occasional posts having to do with retirement money, and anything else I decide to write about.


You may hear more about making dinner, making quilts, making road trips or anything else than you want to, or it may be just what you want. I leave it to you, but starting today we are really, really about Making it in Retirement in these parts.




16 comments:

  1. YAY!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to hear from you again, & I'd love to hear more about how you're making things & enjoying retirement. Looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy to hear this, I will relish your posts about making with the odd retirement post too. Right up my street! Thank you for readjusting and returning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd always rather hear about someone MAKING something than just THINKING ABOUT something. So I loo forward to your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely looking forward to your creative posts. Your ideas are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following you Barb for quite awhile, probably since I retired myself 8 years ago, and I am always interested in whatever you write about. I live in a little town on Lake Huron in Ontario and I love hearing about daily life where you are. It took a while for me to start enjoying retirement, filling all those hours every day. I have zero crafting skills, but I like to write and cook and try new activities. I especially appreciate your frank talk around budgeting, which is an art in itself in retirement. Please don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. I look forward to your new format. Long time blogs are evolve into something different than we started off. Life moves right along that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just changed my blog name to Rocking Retirement. It has many meanings! Looking forward to reading about your retirement experiences! I love being retired!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be very interesting. I welcome hearing more about your doing/making.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a variety of reasons, I found the covid lockdown a turning point and a reset. I look forward to your blog returning!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Barb, looking forward to your posts. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barb, I love your blog and enjoy reading it so much. Everything is so bright and cheery. You inspired me to start my own blog a while back. It took me FOREVER to figure it out, but I finally did. I hadn't done much with it, but I've picked it up again. Thanks for your encouragement. If you ever get a minute, please check in out. It's called Retirement River. Here's a link.
    https://retirementriver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy your blog so much! Have been following for years. We all need breaks so i have just been patient when you take yours! I look forward to your sharing of your shorter trips.. my husband and I also enjoy short excursions vs. across the pond type stuff.I am also a crafter/,maker/watercolorist (amateur!) and an avid reader and cook.So we have a lot in common! Will be looking forward to all your new posts! Yes,retirement is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your tagline -- especially the making waves part!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to reading your blog about the things you make! I would love for you to stop by and check out mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!