Saturday, August 20, 2022

Saturday

 We retirees like to joke that we don’t know what day it is, more often than not. 

There are definitely days, more often than I would like when I wake up and ask myself which day it is. That happens more often in certain seasons of course, but I don’t have enough regular retirement commitments to say, “It’s knitting group today, so it must be Tuesday” on a regular basis. Believe me, this isn’t a problem or if it is, it’s a good one to have already. I am not complaining nor am I worried about my brain.


Once I think about it though, I know it’s Saturday. Saturday is easy to remember, because more often than not, it’s the day I go nowhere.


Obviously I do go out on Saturday. Sometimes. There may be a one day craft fair or a weekend festival, or it may be one of the only times I can get together with my few close friends who still work, or with my daughter and son-in-law. But usually I try to avoid that. If it’s a three day festival, I hit the place on Friday whenever possible, and Sunday after church if not (which in my area is about half as crazy as Saturday)


Because Saturday is the day everyone else in the civilized world leaves their home, I try to avoid it. Occasionally I miss something. Today is the North Texas Rodeo and fair, which included a parade. I would probably have fun if I went. But the traffic will be doubled or tripled or worse, and the parking will be the same. There’s also a weekly community market that I have yet to visit in almost two years. Not a farmers market, but as is so popular these days, a market that has one or two farmer’s booths and then handmade body products and food trucks and crafts and………you get the idea. At some point I will hit one of the holiday markets.


Like I said, there are exceptions. A local wine bar has an Irish music group every other Saturday and I have been known to visit the same now and then. I’m sure I will hit either the fall or Christmas version of the community market and you may get me out to one of the big high school craft fairs. I also am considering becoming a patron of the local minor soccer team, because football (but I’m pretty sure they play on Friday night). And in October, my own church will have a bazaar which I am helping to organize, and will attend. But those are exceptions rather than the rule. 


Which is why most Saturdays (three out of four easily) you can find me at home. Doing nothing on occasion. Sometimes in my lounger all day. With zero guilt.


Here in north Texas, we’ve had a bit of a break.  It’s in the nineties as opposed to the triple digits.  Even better, the nights have cooled so I got up to 75 degrees and sat for almost two hours on my patio reading!  I have no plans for the day except planning for the upcoming week and making sloppy joes here shortly (I’m slowly moving to slightly larger lunches and slightly smaller dinners). And maybe to sit out on the patio again and observe and chat with all the neighbors who DID go out today-or are just enjoying the weather break like I am.


Have I mentioned how ready I am for football??













15 comments:

  1. I'm with you on avoiding doing to much on Saturday when the workers are off doing their errands. I laughed at your comment about Tuesday being knitting group because my neighbor always keeps track of his time by it being another trash day, Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add me to the club that avoids Saturdays out and about the neighborhood and I figure they should thank us retirees for giving them more space and time to do their day off stuff. Glad to see you back blogging again.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. We are out early on Saturdays scouting for yard sales, but after that, we try and stay home the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hit the sales on Friday or I might do that!

      Delete
  3. My father had dementia and we had to take him several times to see the neurologist who would ask him where he was, and what day it was. I had to think... really hard. Being retired, it's easy to forget. The doctor would also ask him to remember three words that he'd tell him at the beginning of the session. Well... to this day I remember Green Apple Dog. In fact, when I got tested that's what came to my mind first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Fortunately I have better memory in relation to other things than the day of the week as well.

      Delete
  4. Retired or not, we all need a day off occasionally. Your schedule and social calendar far eclipse mine. I'm still hunkering down at home most of the time.
    Temps in the 90's would higher than I would like, never mind in triple digits. Enjoy your patio time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy warm weather. I still stay home on other days besides Saturday but it's the one Dai I mainly refuse to leave the house!

      Delete
  5. I was thinking about this post as we drove an hour on freeways to get to our niece’s housewarming party in northern Los Angeles. My husband was surprised the traffic was so heavy on a Saturday and I explained it just as you did here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the working people using the one day to do all the things. I understand the need. I just try avoiding the jump in when I can.

      Delete
  6. I apologize folks ot looks like Blogger or I inadvertently deleted one comment (Bobi) and it's not letting me respond directly to some others. In response to thise comments, I have to remember trash days on my calendar and since I have Valet trash there's always a drop off space. And yes. They should thank us for staying home and lessening traddic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the joys of retirement is to be able to go to shops, restaurants, even travel on vacation, during the week and not on weekends. I've seen "Friday Night Lights" so I know you Texans love your football. But (forgive me) ... Go Eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popped in from a mutual blog friends blog, it's always fun to meet new bloggers. I think it's nice you try to leave Sat free so you can just be. Enjoy the weather and your patio time. We've had cooler than normal temps here for August. But, I actually like it when it's hot and sunny. Hope you'll swing by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only way I will go out on a Saturday is well before noon. Then, I want to go home because so many people are out. I don't mind the people, but electric carts are hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!