Friday, February 25, 2022

Frugal, Organizational Friday

 My daughter came over earlier this week. Her birthday was last Friday, and she wanted to pick up her birthday gift from me, which was an Ember Mug. She also brought lunch so we could sit and chat. Then she did some heavy lifting for me, and being the opposite of her mother, completely organized my fridge and freezer before telling me not to order anything except milk and fruit and salad till there was more space.


She and her husband asked for vacation time long ago-before Omicron. They decided  not to travel right now, so they had a staycation. In February in Texas. Which meant 80 degrees on Sunday and Monday and then 29 degrees and freezing for two days. Still, they’ve managed dinner, twice, and an escape room so they are doing okay.  They also did a body on the beach mystery box at home, and put together some really giant adult lego things, so all is not lost.


On the frugal/sustainable/organizational spectrum:


  • I’ve been treated to  fine dining. Falling under the frugal  heading/category because my son in law still somehow considers me “company” even though I live here now and refuses any all attempts of cash or my card (I make it up to him). I managed to have the smoked duck breast below and share in three appetizers and have flourless chocolate cake and wine. One of the reasons I am frugal is the good stuff, and I have missed fine dining and experiential food so very much. My last outing was to a French restaurant for my birthday in September.


  • Following a visit from the queen of organization, I now realize that I have enough food in my freezer and pantry (both leftover meals that are frozen and food to cook), that I can probably last 2 full weeks if I just get milk and fruit  and salad (I am finding that for my oatmeal and other things I use them for, frozen blueberries are just as effective.

  • In the process of making my studio a sewing/quilting/mixed media/ and other types of craft space, I have pulled out a bunch of supplies and put them on the back or side of my cutting table. Hopefully I can avoid buying things I don’t need (there are a few things that I do)  and keep supplies at the ready for inspiration. 


  • Creativity leaves odds and ends. Of paper and fabric and yarn. I also have an “open call” to my buy nothing group for fabric leftovers.  This week I started deconstructing the fabric by cutting it into usable sizes for other projects. I want to make at least three quilts for kids in foster care as well as some landscape and arty quilts and this should help. Right now they’re organized by size. Later by color and season as well.

  • The senior center is fully reopened and while I do plan to do some bus tours and take part in classes, I’ve decided I’m not joining the silver sneakers revival. Not free for me and while it would only be twenty five bucks a month, I’ve developed my own routine at home that works. I’m walking thirty minutes (usually outside with my new exercise walker-did I tell you about this?), and doing another thirty minutes of seated aerobics/weight work/ stretching exercises or some combo. I’m happy where I am.

  • I’ve been doing some money earning research here and there as well as surveys-as much for the fun and stretching of my brain as the money. I’ve participated in a bunch of cognitive studies, and while they don’t tell me the results I feel like doing them is challenging to me in and of itself. Plus it’s money toward travel, which will happen. Sooner than later. I hope.

  • Walmart had a sale for only Walmart plus members (free shipping and delivery and fas discount has made it pay for itself). My research told me I dint want a drawer model of air fryer so I purchased a large toaster oven combo that holds a nine by eleven pan. For 45 bucks, less than half price. A planned purchase and one that let's me avoid the oven bending more and more.


The temperature is supposed to be 40 today. But with a north facing covered patio and walk, I figure I’m housebound until tomorrow, no matter how much salt there is.


My arm is fine. I’m at that point where it itches like hell and I am trying not to pull the scabs before they are ready.

14 comments:

  1. The duck looks like a yummy dessert instead of what it really is.

    Love the way your daughter looks out for you and helps with stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very yummy main dish. and thr rice pancakes were fantastic. She only gets over ince every week or so but she always helps me in big and little ways. In March she's going to "help me" spring clean my house.

      Delete
  2. Just had to say it: sounds like your ducks are in a row!
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank the good Lord for kids who are willing to help us. I'm blessed with a hands-on daughter, too. Barb, I truly appreciate your willingness to think about making quilts for foster kids. I believe that whatever time/effort/money we invest in those kids is a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you treat staycation like a real vacation they can be terrific. Your daughter made some good plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how I missed the last post but I did. Funny, your daughter comes for a visit and does some organizing for you, while I go visit my daughter and organize her freezer...well she did it under my direction.

    Sometimes a staycation is just as good as travel. Though I am anxious to get back in the groove again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no under my direction here, lol. The person who it bothered gets to fo the work and she cares more than I do. Si happy to be enjoying restaurants again!!!

      Delete
  6. Restaurant meals! It's been so so so long. I love when things are cleaned and organized ... especially when someone else does it (and shows me where things are). Wise move to try Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now my sewing/craft room is covered in project pieces, and the area beside my chair is covered with yarn. It makes me more inclined to get things completed that way.

    Glad to hear that your daughter is getting you organized and looking after you very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if your son-in-law thinks you are company, but I would rather think he is showing you respect and taking care of his family female elders as good southern men are taught to do. Count yourself blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, that's not how I prefer it to be. We've talked-about the fact but I was their guest when we went put fir so long that it's a hard habit to break fir him. When we make group plans that are not a celebration I expect to pay my way. It's not as though I need them to pay at this point in their lives
      So I will pay the next time we go somewhere. Elder or no.

      Delete
  9. I miss fine dining more than anything, and my own attempts at cooking fall far short.

    Have fun in your craft space. Decorate and arrange it to be conducive to your creativity and activity.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!