Sunday, January 30, 2022

The Week That Was!

It has, as they say, been a week. 

Last Friday, after I posted, my daughter came over and helped me put Christmas away and vacuumed and so on. In the afternoon I did my normal workout-only I added a full half an hour of new weight lifting moves to my normal strengthening program which is mainly done with body weight, with a couple exceptions.

Saturday I was feeling sore, but okay. Sunday, I woke up screaming. Pow to the face as my kids would say, only pow to my whole body and back in this case. I acknowledged that I certainly wasn’t going to be able to put on a bra by myself, and that I might not even be able to get dressed.  I did church in a chair, was fortunate that I had leftovers that required no cooking and spent most of my day on the couch surrounded by pillows. And took the best over the counter drugs and used all the ointments possible for a place I really could not reach.

I also slept upright on the pillows, screaming in pain every time I tried to change position or move to my side.  Monday was honestly not better, but I figured if I could get on some kind of clothing that my church crafting group would forgive the no bra things. Which they did. However, I had to leave and head home after just a short time.

Tuesday was no better. Again, couch, TV, computer and book, with pillows on either side. Wednesday I woke up miserable, but was slightly improved and walked half an hour outside with my walker, and things began to improve.

Thursday life was more normal. I did have to sit upright, but I was able to stretch my back without screaming, take an extra long hot shower and do the fairly normal things of life. Still uncomfortable but there.  I am now back to normal and tomorrow or Tuesday I will start the exercises again. Without weights for a couple weeks.

As if back pain were not enough, I got the shocker of my life elsewhere. You may remember at my last check in November, my A1C numbers were up, and my doc gave me a second diabetes med to supplement the other I normally take. And a reminder to get myself to exercises and weight loss and get those numbers back to the six point zero that they have been for literally years. Well, the first two months were forty dollars each for the prescription. But somewhere, someone made a mistake. Because from now on, apparently they are over 200 dollars a month for thirty pills. Whooo, baby!!!.

Let’s just say I promptly emailed my physician through my chart, and told him that was not sustainable for me, and asked him to please find another, hopefully generic drug that I can take instead. I also told him I was exercising for an hour daily up from thirty minutes (true) and that I have lost fifteen pounds since that appointment (true) and that I was doing the work I should be doing but probably still needed a secondary prescription for awhile.

Please note that I have damned good insurance, have never paid 200 bucks for 30 days of anything before, and that includes non-generic prescriptions. Holy Moly.  My kid says that I should buy the drugs from Mark Cuban, lol.

Other than those two disastrous issues?  A pretty normal week, lol. I joined a Facebook group that requires you to show a “make” every day of the month (no or minimal comments) with the “make’ being anything from folding a napkin upwards.  I also decided that my February primary goal was to go to a new place that I had never been to in my town at least two days a week.

Add that to my social justice bible study reading, and my going outside goals, and that is it for the month goal wise.  This week I’m looking forward to crafting, shopping, watching the new Reacher show on Amazon, meeting people for lunch and coffee-oh, and preparing for the week that is snowmageddon and ice in February in Texas!!!

20 comments:

  1. My Doctor Brother-in-Law just bought his meds from Mark Cuban pharmacy! What on earth did your doc prescribe? I'm on 1,500 Metformin but need to exercise ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jardiance. I am allergic to metformen. I take 10 of glipizide and now additional 10 of jardiance.they don't have it on Marc Cuban it looks like.

      Delete
  2. If Mark Cuban's new pharmacy carries it and it is less expensive I'd go for it. His thing is to sell for 15% over cost but no insurance coverage. My one expensive medication isn't listed as available or I'd be dong it.

    Good for you for increasing your exercise but that first workout sounds like it was painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking he's mainly doing generics first.my medication is not there. I'm gonna have to kill this with diet and exercise.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I just looked the cost of Jardiance up on GoodRX and it's over double the $200 cost you pay. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I just can't. I'm on a mission to wake an hour and cut my carbs to 150 a day.

      Delete
  4. Good luck getting an alternative medicine. That's so much and such a quick price hike

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear you are feeling some better and able to get back to a more normal routine. Yikes, that's quite the price hike on meds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, good for you for losing weight and doing your exercises. That's gotta help! Hope you get your drug regimen straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure had a rough week. Glad you're better. $200 per month is a lot of money!! Hoping your doctor can suggest something else, and it sounds like you're well on your way with diet and exercise. Can't remember if you've talked about intermittent fasting before. That is helping my husband. His goal is to stop his eating earlier in the day and push back breakfast time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. My care team does feel thar intermittent fasting is safevfor me and prefer I eat 3 meals and just lower carbs.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I'm glad you're feeling better but your week of pain should be a lesson for you to easy gently into any exercise routine. congratulations on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about the big increase - that is no good. You are making the right long term investment by focusing on your health & nutrition, so hopefully even if there isn't an alternative, it will be short lived

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you check the Jardiance web site under pricing they have a patient assistance program. It looks like for those on Medicare with Medicare Part D coverage, about 61% of patients, or 6 out of 10, will pay between $0–$50 a month. Most companies for expensive medications have similar programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have part D. I have private drug coverage. But I will check the website. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  11. Just realized that the pricing page on the Jardiance web site is a challenge to find. Here is a link for it. If you scroll down the page it shows the various help programs available. The VA and TRICARE pricing for those who have it is quite affordable.
    https://www.jardiance.com/type-2-diabetes/jardiance-cost/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I fall under the 12 percent that pay 200 dollars or more a month because my part d is not Medicare. I'm still looking at other solutions.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!