Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Apartment-alizing

One of my “project” goals for the new year is to get things up on the walls and shelves of this apartment. I mean, it’s been a year. Especially in this large blank area. When I first moved in my son in law hung a few large paintings on the wall and I have a few hangers for small quilts. But especially since the walls are now white instead of turquoise, there is a need to do some wall filling and decorating.



Part of the delay was simply not knowing what I wanted to do. I also still haven't found the perfect larger wall piece to replace the “bakers rack” I am using against this wall. So now I  am now looking for a couple less than perfect ones to replace the shelves I dragged along. Meanwhile though, it’s time to do the decor thing, leaving wide space for where I believe any new wall units will sit.

My hope/goal is to do these as much as possible with things on hand. I always keep my eyes out for affordable art, especially large pieces or those in sets. But I now have some of my own art work and am creating more (I guess some kind of a show is due soon). I have many, many good pictures both of family and places visited that I can order in larger sizes to frame as needed. I have quilts of all sizes and really want to install one that is fairly large on a wall (and perhaps change it out seasonally). I also have at least four or five pen and ink watercolor sketches of various places visited (some more colorful than others). And there are some mini quilts worthy (in my opinion) of frames.

My plan is to use what I have and re-use what I have and see where that gets me.  To start, I ordered a good set of quilt hangers and will have my son in law install them if need be when they arrive (they may just use nails). For my quilty readers, I much prefer this alternative to a dowel and or a curtain rod installation on my wall. For one thing, I don’t then have to make hangers or tabs on all my quilts). 





Then I decided I wanted to make “picture displays" on two walls. I’m still working on what will go in them.  I pulled all of my picture frames already on hand and decided that I wasn’t concerned if the two sets of frames matched exactly, but just if they were dark, light, or medium wood, since my aesthetic in life tends to be the imperfect and mixed and not matched one. Some of my picture frames have been damaged in the various moving processes.  I was able to order both replacement glass and sets that had replacement glass and the backing as well.

In some cases these may be close to the price of the original frames, but hey, I simply can't see throwing out good frames if they can be repaired and used in some fashion. My goal for the year is to be as sustainable as possible. In fact I foresee Frugal Friday and/or Thrifty Thursday becoming about sustainability as much as money in the long run.

So that's the plan as of today. We'll see how much if any I need to change it going forward.

I’m also throwing some new pillow covers together (which did require some small fabric purchases to get the colors I wanted to use). And coverings for my coffee and side tables.

In other news, my 32 year old son has Covid. Even though he’s been vaxxed (not boosted, that appointment was scheduled for the eighth) via J&J, uses a mask at work, masks to the table when he goes out and went to a Christmas event where everyone else was masked. He has an app and he got texts about exposure. So far he seems to be doing okay although he says he feels like he was hit by a truck.

Our local activities on site and through other organizations slowed down during the holiday week and are not back to normal yet. When they become so I will go out but continue to be cautious. This week I might have lunch and a knitting group, depending. I did order NK95 masks but they are not arriving until the 20th so I may need to check Amazon and see their turnaround. My daughter suggests purchasing an at home kit or so, but honestly I am not sure I could do it properly. We’ll see.

Today I hope to get close to an hour of exercise in, even if it’s divided up multiple times throughout the day!

14 comments:

  1. I hope your son recovers quickly. This newest variant seems to be running rampant despite efforts to keep it at bay.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your apartment when all of your artwork and quilts are hung. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel like we are 3ntering pur new normal with this disease for awhile.

      Delete
  2. So many people are catching this new variant. My dance class (done for exercise on Zoom) is not happening this week as the lady who runs it came down with Covid after her son did. So another person I know is now stricken.

    Good for you on using what you have.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a wonderful idea to use what you have for decorating your home. We moved about a month ago, and when I started putting up our pictures/artwork/quilts, then it really began to feel like home. Hopes and prayers for your son's quick recovery. We're seeing rising numbers of cases where we live and are trying to hunker down at home when possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said elsewhere this seems to be the new normal. I try to be very cautious. Looking forward to decorating. I may end up painting the frames.

      Delete
  4. I always have a difficult time decorating my walls and I am very much into reusing what I have rather than buying new. Good luck with the decorating. It sounds like you have some wonderful pieces which will make choosing difficult. Also sending good thoughts that your son recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hanging art work is such a hard decision I can see why you've put it off for so long. I'm especially looking forward to how you hang your quilts in a way you can swap them out from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll show the hanging blocks when I order them.

      Delete
  6. I know at least a dozen people sick with Covid right now.Restaurants and other venues in our area are not opening up due to staff shortages. Pharmacies are even closed in some locations and you are being sent to a different location for prescriptions! My husband got a mild case, 2 weeks ago, is all better now.My niece in Dallas is still quite sick, a week since contracting covid , as are her two teenagers. My two social; groups, art and cards, are no longer meeting. I am home a lot. My husband and I do go to local parks and walk an hour to get out of house.

    Art/pictures: I prefer mixed over matching so have fun with some different frames ! I find that thrift stores always have TONS of frames, and out local consignment shop has plenty of wall art also.

    Hope your so is back up to speed very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously considering painting all the frames after I sand the down a bit.

      Delete
  7. Oh I do hope your son is ok (I'm sure he will be)! They're probably right about Omicron being much more contagioius aren't they! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!