Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Feeding Myself

 Today I spent a little over a hundred dollars for two weeks of food for moi. Well actually I hope that those groceries, added to what's on hand will feed me for two weeks and add a freezer meal here and there, since I am trying to order the delicious ready meals and such much much less. And consider cooking very much not a joy.

They substituted two things ( a different brand of real maple syrup and bottles of coke for cans) and were out of Yukon gold potatoes, mini chocolate bunnies and the packages of cut up watermelon. Over all, I cannot complain. Depending on whether I am spending Sunday with D and SIL or if they have other plans I may decide to run to Sprouts and get some lamb chops to add to the mix for Sunday. Heck, I may just do it anyway! Lamb chops aside I have a large pizza, a huge chuck roast to make Italian beef for sandwiches, a big package of pork chops to bake, many  chicken thighs for slow cooker pot pie, salmon and the stuff for tuna casserole. Yes, I still inventory and meal plan based on the protein. A vegan I have not become.

I'll evaluate after two weeks and see where I am and hopefully know how to plan for the (warm weather cooking) future. I'm wondering if a table top grill is an option for steaks that I should be looking at or if I'll just stick with the old cast iron pan..

In other food news, every Monday or Tuesday the local Panera folks (there are two near me) come around with large bags of baked goods for the residents. So today I have a full loaf of sliced bread (haven't opened it to check the type), a very large muffin, some bagels, three large cookies, and two brownies.  After of course, my purchase of Sara Lee cheesecake (my Easter indulgence) and a brownie and muffin mix of my own. As I type I am munching on the lemon cookie and a low sodium V8. I had thought to add a few bites of banana but I am way to full!

I have not been walking in the morning. Or in the evening, on any regular basis. Yesterday I walked around a few stores (I wanted a pizza pan at Target and to look at yard/patio art at Walmart and ended up wandering around both stores), and today both severe arthritis pain and fibro are out in full force, damned them all, making me exhaused. I'm beginning to thing my best choice is to lay out my clothes and Skechers the night before and once I've done my meditation and had my caffeine then just get up and walk. I'm not the most sociable morning person, but no one says I have to converse. 

I do still think the walk will be every other day and the second day will be chair exercise and stretches or strength depending on the fibro. At least until the community pool opens, because our private clubs and recreation centers are still shut down with the exception of one small facility that allows social distanced water walking.

I ended up getting seven pieces of clothing yesterday. And taking them all back. I mainly wear maxi and midi dresses in the warm weather with tennis shoes or sandals , but the two dresses I got and did not try in the store formed a fabric puddle around my feet when I got home. As for the others? Obviously I did not love them enough to keep. I may have to step out to some thrift stores and as for the dresses they may need to be ordered online.

Tonight I'm ready to watch or at least pay attention to some basketball while eating the leftovers from two separate meals, and sketching out my next quilt. Before hitting the books. My to be read list is two very full pages in my large journal. Never mind that I also have ten Kindle Unlimited books at the moment and about six library books in my position. Time to read!

I have studiously ignored any and all live TV and news including the trial and just barely checked up via online sources. I just cannot handle it.

18 comments:

  1. I always inventory food and plan around protein, too. Vegetables can be easily added as long as they are here. So, I don't need a full menu plan. I never, ever try on clothing in the store, so often return it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try on clothing in the store so I don't make extra trips.i make full menu plans includes 2 sides for each meal

      Delete
  2. Your walking plan sounds good. I gave a talk today on Zoom about prayer walking; that makes the walking extra helpful. I have a too large stack of books to read. Is that possible? Anyway, it is large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer walking. Interesting. Im.about to taking a virtual class on knitting as meditation. I have too many in my request list but not on my notebook list.

      Delete
  3. Barb, I am with you on not watching the news and especially the trial. I made the mistake of watching the first day and haven't recovered yet. I really believe it affected me as I have been miserable since.
    I usually order my clothing from 2 companies as I know what fits from them. I detest clothes shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do as well. These were two spur of the moment things that were mistakes. Instead I'm ginna order casual comfy dresses online.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are well stocked up. Very sorry to hear you were in so much pain. I too seem to always postpone exercise although I know doing so doesn’t help at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo. I really try to have some sense of regularity when I can. Nut also accept that I can't do what I can't do. I have some great seated aerobic and yoga programs and such so I need to rely on them more.

      Delete
  5. The freezer and pantry are well-stocked. Avoiding waste and using what's on hand usually drives the weekly menu. Recipes in magazines and on cooking shows also provide motivation. This past week included the last of a pasta dish with zucchini, mushrooms & peppers; a roast chicken with pineapple salsa; pan-fried pickerel with asparagus; chicken with sweet potato/chickpea stew (from the freezer); butternut squash soup (from the freezer). I really have to pay attention to leftovers, both frozen and in the fridge, so they don't go to waste. I love eating and cooking, not sure in what order. I also know that I would rather exercise than quit eating so that motivates my movement. You always have something on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan meals around protein as well, it's rare we have a meatless meal here. As for clothes shopping, when I was younger I enjoyed nothing better than an afternoon of browsing and trying on multiple pieces of clothing. Now, I'm like my mom and have my tried and true in my closet and have a hard time finding new things that I like.

    Hope the pain eases soon for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the basketball games and thought the UCLA/Michigan game was a great game to watch.
    It is rainy here and the arthritis has been yelling loudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch a of that but it looked like a great game! Yes the humidity will do that!

      Delete
  8. I don't know much about fibromyalgia. Are there any medications you can safely take when pain flares? Sorry you've been hurting. Hope you feel better so you can enjoy this Easter week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stick with tylenol arthritis. Tomorrow I will force myself to work out!

      Delete
  9. We alternate meat/fish/vegetarian meals.I always have one chickpea based meal per week and often a tofu veg stir fry. Planning meals makes the budget easy to stick to! I would love your recipe for a slow cooker pot pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it on a dump recipe site. I use boneless thighs and cut them up. I'll share later on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think by tomorrow I will have a clean fridge, just to get ready for the leftovers from Easter and the sons being here.

    Just wondering how you sketch out your quilts. Do you use colour pencils, or just a regular pencil?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have colored pencils and markers in a wide range of colors and graph paper.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!