Monday, January 25, 2021

Goals, Sort Of

Acckk. Today I got my December heat and electric bill and it was MUCH more than Novembers, so again we adjust the budget. I'm honestly not liable to change my behavior much, there are only three cold months (really two) in Dallas and I need to keep the pain at bay. And I'm a minimal air conditioner user at most, so it will all more than average out in the end.  


Drive through vaccine. I never stopped and I never got out of my car. The nice man in the yellow vest is sending the cars to where they sit for 15 to 30 minutes depending on allergy history to ensure lack of reactions.

Lately I've been wondering if I needed or should consider (God help me) an actual retirement schedule.  Now, even typing those words make me cringe, let me tell you. Me, of the laid back, do nothing (or not very much) lifestyle-having a schedule. Honestly,  I have tried in the past and things were not successful in this area. I have nothing but full admiration for the list makers and planners but I have learned that and goal setting in general are not for me.

Except.

Cabin fever entered my world. In small amounts only, and not all the time. I still happily spend hours just piddling and puttering. I continue to embrace the absence of multi tasking in the extreme. When I read I read, when I watch TV I watch TV, when I sew I sew, and if I sit on the patio being one with the universe I do that. I do nothing as well or better than doing something.

But lately there have been too many days when breakfast, lunch and dinner have been in front of the ole tube, when I have barely gotten dressed, when I have looked outside at five and said "Whoops, no walking today". And I have not resorted to cereal or popcorn both because I like to eat and because I have already cooked food in my freezer. Not depression, and not laziness as such. Just a teeny bit more energy-less than I would like to be. 



So a schedule?  I don't think so. A goals list? I don't that's it either. Instead I have a short list of things I am going to get done each day. A very short list, mind you, and taking a leaf from a couple fellow bloggers on the sidebar I have written it on a sheet and put it on the dining table. We'll see how it goes.

For now said list entails the following:

  • Meditate and Pray
  • Get dressed (at some point, I am not promising when)
  • Eat at least one meal at the table
  • Spend a half an hour on the house, separate from the daily quick pickup and throw my comforter across the bed (believe you me when I am comfy having people in the apartment I will happily throw this one back to someone else once (or maybe twice) a month.
  • Get my five fruits and veggies and water intake
  • Go outside (which maybe the same as exercising below or may not)
  • Exercise
  • Added later: I probably should combine exercise with outside time, and add get up and move every hour and a half.
And that's the list. There is no study, there is no learn a new thing, there is no which exercise I will do. And there is no project. I have an ongoing list in my bullet journal of things like "sew the quilt panels together" or "work on the recipe book" or "knit the back of the sweater".  I am always motivated to do the fun things so when I'm ready I just look at said list and decide what I am going to do today, and I also read and watch TV during the day not just in the evening.

In theory I should probably have a weekly list as well, but the only that I can see on that is menu planning.

I have a small list of things I need to do. Double check my appointment, call my old dermatologist from when I lived here before and get back on her schedule, register my car. That somehow manage to get done, usually after breakfast and after my meditation when I am sitting in the rocker looking out through the patio window at people walking dogs, mowing lawns and such.

Life is an experiment and everything on the list is, in theory, negotiable except for one. Who knows, after a week or so I may decide the list is overkill and go back to things as they were.

Which is really more like me.  Meanwhile, what will be, will be. Picture of one of the meals I'm ordering from the new place, because, well...........food. I may not be able to make it but I can eat it, take pictures of it and in this case, grab a yummy screen shot.










24 comments:

  1. I had Son3 and DIL3 here for a month and now that they are gone, I am in a weird fugue state. I am not depressed but I am lonely. I had gotten used to having morning coffee and conversation with someone else and honestly I miss it. I guess I should schedule my days, but I hate schedules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well but I need some motivation to my days.

      Delete
  2. I like your attitude. I hate musts and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You moved and started living alone at a really difficult time so it is really easy to lack motivation. Your list would create nice anchor points to your day. Hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anchors. Yes, that's what I hope they are.

      Delete
  4. Hi Barbara, I still think of having a pajama day where I stay in my pajamas all day but so far I haven't done that:) I am a list maker and always have been but sometimes, when something is on the list for weeks, I remove it until I feel that I am semi-ready to tackle that particular task... like painting the bathroom. I still haven't put that task back on my list. My state just opened a lottery for the over 65 Covid vaccination today. I registered for it so now will wait to be called. Only 9 pilot sites opened at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so admire the list makers. I have stayed in my jammies in cold days and the occasional Sunday but rarely.

      Delete
  5. We all have a major case of cabin fever by now. But ... you got a vaccine? Lucky you! Be safe; be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one. The second in three weeks then wait ten days. I am moving forward. Texas has from what I understand vaccinated the most people so far.

      Delete
  6. A lot of us are struggling with schedules, lists and getting things done during the unusual times we're living through.

    That waiting for an allergy reaction to the vaccine scares the heck out of me since I've severely reacted to other medications in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that people who have reactions are pretty low to almost nine at least the Moderna. The concern was not yo reactions to medicines but reactions to other vaccines like flu and such from why I could tell.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on getting the vaccine!

    I have a different bend towards lists & goals, but do find that the my weekly checklist gives me so much more motivation. When I check a few things off of that list, I feel less guilty when I decide to take a break & read or veg out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people are listmakers (including my late mom) and I just never got the bent. But these days i am fully retired and there is nothing I need to do so reading and vegging out are regular parts of my daily life, lol

      Delete
  8. I'm here in Texas, too. We got our first vaccine last Friday. I find it interesting that they told you 3 weeks until the next dose of Moderna and they told us 4 weeks for Moderna. Our understanding is 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna second dose.
    I've been finding myself in your same boat. Too much time in front of the TV and little exercise. I have this problem every winter, but this one seems worse. I think prior to Covid I was getting a lot of my exercise by shopping. I enjoyed going from store to store, sometimes just window shopping, but a lot of walking. Oh, how I miss those days!...Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis four weeks, but they are allowed five days on either side. Which puts me closer to three weeks in my case. I was never an in store or mall shopper, but I had social things that took me out of the house (lunch date, knitting group, church gig) and I was going to a heated pool for workouts. I will be so glad to get back to those when I can.

      Delete
  9. I keep a list of things done and add things to be done, but a lot of that has to do with the need to remind myself. It's just on a weekly calendar so the lists aren't long. Since I hold onto the pages for 3-4 weeks I can look back and realize I haven't washed the kitchen floor for two weeks...in my defense it wasn't sticky yet, :p

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Well what I think I am going to do is assign that half an hour or so a day and give each little area of my apartment a day of the week (monday bathroom, Tuesday Kitchen and so on, except for vaccuming as needed. I am a lousy housekeeper and I know it.

      Delete
  10. I've mastered the jammie switch-out. All day in one set of jammies. Change into clean jammies for happy hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rule is only that I have to change before bedtime. Mainly cause I'm an evening shower type (thanks, short hair)!

      Delete
  11. 'Minimal air condioning' even in Dallas? God love you! I can live without heat more than air conditioning. And Barba wanna share that dinner? Yummo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Im okay and have ceing fans.My arthritis and fibro require warmth.

      Delete
  12. I don't bother with lists as I never complete them! I just float from one project or whatever to the next. All on my own time! Hubby tells me I stay busy but I'm thinking it's only mundane business!! One of these days, San Diego will be giving vaccines to 65 & older. Right now, it's a mess here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have sleep clothes, lounge clothes, and exercise clothes. Honestly they are all versions of sweats, but I feel like I’m getting dressed. I forgot your dog situation. Do you have a dog with you? I’m assuming you don’t, or the getting dressed and exercising would be taken care of. Yay for getting the vaccine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea. It was my son's dog in Colorado so now no. Every I sit in my Ricker looking out the patio window and see folks out there in the little park walking dogs and think, do I really wanna take that on. There a 13 year old senior beagle waiting for a home. I filly admit I'm in sweats and about to do a trunk pickup at target. My how my standards have fallen.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!