Wednesday, December 30, 2020

The New Year Comes-Looking Ahead to January

So this is it, here we are on the eve of the eve of the new year. I'm not sure this year is deserving of a recap, and if it was, that recap would be a post or rather three or four or five.

In the long run I feel (hope) things will improve, at least in the second half of the year.  In the short run, in many ways we are entering a time when 2021 will be a similar, and possibly worse for while, version of the past year. 2020 2.0 if you will.

Thankfully, we have a new president (and I can always hope, right) at least the temporary diminishing of the Orange One within the next month. Whatever 2021 brings us politically (and it will not be all good), at least we are over the Trump hurdle for now (knocking on wood).

My next couple of days will be laid back. I expect a very brief visit by my daughter today perhaps to assist with my tracker which is stuck in place (if not, I'll just reset it). Assuming I can get a delivery or a pickup sometime tomorrow, I'll be grabbing some of those frozen appetizers, eggnog and some fruit and veggie sticks to make it half way healthy as I celebrate the even in my own quiet way.

I could not tell you when the last time when I (we) went out for the Eve, other than maybe walking across the street. My late husband spent many years as the executive manager of a large private club, that being the largest holiday of the year, and he would tell you that tomorrow evening is when the amateur, twice a year drunks hit the road and that he would not be on the same highway with them if you paid him. If I can't get a delivery/pickup, then I'll make do with the goodies around the house which are not without value and perhaps make a one person cake. I do expect to be awake to welcome 2021, but may do so in the bed with a book in hand and pillows at the back. I may even order myself some booze that is not wine or beer (I don't understand how I can tolerate and enjoy alcohol but no longer either of the other two, I tell ya). Do they make ready made Brandy Alexanders, I wonder?

New Year's day looks to be more different, as the many years I drove from Denver to Dallas we spent our second Christmas around the football screen. But I have plenty to do, and Friday is supposed to be clear and sunny if cold, so a walk may be in order.  Along with a section of pork roast from the large pork loin that is not a pork tenderloin.

As for the coming month? Even in Texas there is some winter in January, so I'm prepared to do things like exercise inside, but still walk outside when I can and embrace some winter things like tea, hot chocolate with marshmallows, the heavy throw that is on my lap as I knit and the chance to wear my nice heavier sweaters. And perhaps a hot toddy or two or some bourbon in my hot chocolate (see above note re booze).

I won't call it planning or goal setting, but these are the things I would like to have happen in the coming month. Whether they happen is still to be seen.

  1. I want to try for a no spend, resetting January except for food, gas and medical stuff. I need to make some master shopping lists instead of getting things as I think about them piecemeal, large or small. I mean last night it got windy, and I was thinking to myself, "gee, I should get some patio table clips". And so it goes. Exceptions will be small bits and bobs of craft/sewing items if needed (doubtful) to finish the projects further down the list. And dog visit assistance if needed (comes under essential).
  2. I hope to begin and mainly finish a hand made gift for each offspring(both have February birthdays and both expressed disappointment and no hand made, crafted items for Christmas.
  3. I'm detrmined to read ALL the current books on my kindle before adding anything else. I have an Amazon reads, four Kindle Unlimited books, some library books and some  got  free via book bub or whatever. And that does not count the crafting and cooking books. The one could take me well into March.
  4. While it's cool and true slow cooker weather, I want to make some large meals (or as large as it will hold) so I have some home made "freezer meals" to cut down on take out, heat and eat and frozen dinners. And do the same with some baking. After that I can just keep on keeping on keeping on, cooking a large meal every week.
  5. I need to sign up for an Olli course (virtual here of course) both to keep the brain cells on a good path and to include another virtual people interaction event in my life. Great Decisions comes to mind
  6. I need to get a Shingrix shot (Yea, I know, I know). I'd add in getting the Covid vaccine but I don't think either one will be available to me until well after January.
  7. Obviously, I want some crafty/sewing projects finished: do a small quilt top and bind and quilt for charity, keep working on my current knitting so I can finish my placemats and home decor projects.
  8. I need to get my eye examined and scanned. This is well past due and I would ignore it, considering the nose to nose requirements involved in some portions (even masked nose to nose), but I have a small freckle in the back of one ey and it's been over a year. So off I go.
  9. I plan to think hard about beginning a craft specific blog (so I can share ALL the pictures and projects multiple times a week) and start the writing if I am (yes, this is a continuation from last year not followed up on in a timely manner).
Along with that, I plan to read, watch TV, craft (knit/quilt/sew/draw/whatever), take walks, bake a little here and there, do some yoga, zoom with friends a couple days a week and generally stay in my nest, patio and close to home.

I will see you all on the other side of the year!





21 comments:

  1. Hope the New Year brings us improvement on the political and pandemic front. Enjoy your evening. I will probably be with a good book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some great goals. Am looking forward to some happier days. Not being so focused on the awful news. NYE quiet as we’re home & usually asleep by midnight!!
    Love reading your blog. Happy New Year a day early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've pretty much lost my NYE mojo.i can only hope the political scene has some fresh air.

      Delete
  3. Great goals. If it is any help, i felt the safest at my ophthalmologist visit this year. Next safest was dentist, then podiatrist and last the dermatologist. Routine healthcare is a must to continue in my book. Happy new year and it will get better as the year progresses - or at least I tell myself that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. In my area we are ar 1b vaccine wise which I qualify fir...9ver sixty five with type 2, but when ill get a turn is anyone's guess.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Barb! I love your lists and need to get busy creating my own. It is hard to know what to plan since I have been a virtual prisoner for so many months. I am rooting for the vaccine to help, but also rooting for improved treatments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out yesterday that in theory I can now get the vaccine, but of course no one has it and even when I get it I will still be masking and social isolating. I figure mid year I will need to both do a new budget and hopefully be able to do a new activity plan.

      Delete
  5. Brandy Alexander!!!!!Yes, my favorite cocktail.
    It is hard to find someone that can make them right...I mastered it myself. I like them made with a scoop of ice cream also...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I can make it myself but the ice cream sounds fantastic.

      Delete
  6. You've certainly made progress in meeting your goals over this past year. They weren't easy, either! Whenever a person moves across country, that takes incredible planning and stamina--not to mention the extra finances needed. If you run across some recipes that freeze really well and taste good, after being frozen, please let me know. I freeze chili and lasagna with good results. Happy New Year, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Barb! Wishing you and yours all the best in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Barb. May it be a great one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good bye 2020! We are having a little boy NYE ... no fancy finger food buffet. They want Doritos, crackers and cheese, fruit and veggies, popcorn, potato chips ... one Coke and one Mountain Dew. Prosecco for me ... way earlier than midnight, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy new year, have a safe and fun year. I've always said that fun is an attitude and not an activity but that philosophy has been tested to the limit this year. We can hope for some fun activities with family and friends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your late husband about being on the roads over new year. We've been under a 20h - 6h curfew here in France for several weeks, including last night, and my big hope is that the death rates on the roads will have reflected that curfew. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's to a definitely better new year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm glad you're planning to get a Shingrix shot. My mother really suffered when she got shingles and my daughter got it close to her eyes. I have a feeling we're not done with the orange one yet. He's still got a bunch of followers willing to do his bidding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) happy new year ! cheers to a better year :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! I'd somehow lost the bookmark to your blog, but then Bob included it when you commented on his post. Like you, I'm in Texas. I'll be visiting my rheumatologist next week, and he's been researching whether I can safely take the Covid vaccine I so want to get when they're available to those of us over 70 with a co-morbidity. I'm one of the rare people who has had an adverse reaction to a previous injectable vaccine. He's consulting with an immunologist. I want to be part of the solution, for the benefit of myself, my diabetic husband, and even family members who have chosen to continue engaging with others without precautions. I want my grandchildren to know that I did my part.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!