Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Tuesday Things....

 Thanks so much everyone, for your comments on the previous blog. I hope I responded to all, but as I''m generally mainly Internet free on Sunday and have still been unpacking, if I have not I apologize. Also, hopefully moderation is going well and you are seeing your comments shortly after you post unless you live in a very different time zone, cause I think we'll keep it for awhile. Easier to eliminate the nasty Boomer guy or gal, everyone who wants to cure herpes and tell me exactly how, and a few other oddballs that seem to have come out of the woodwork.

I'm mainly unpacked to the point that the normal things of life (at least Covid life normal) have returned.  Walks, exercise class as home, sewing, knitting, painting, TV binging, reading, sitting outside and chatting and all the other stay at home life things are mainly back on track. I just found out yesterday that there is a hairdresser who comes to the community so I will be hopefully non shaggy sometime this week (can't cut my hair with clippers any more when there's no one to do the nape and such). I can start to get back to bogging about normal non move things, although I am sure there will stil be some posts about the Texas adjustment.

Still working on the food issue, however, both in terms  filling up the smaller pantry with all the needs and cooking for just for me. For the moment I'm going with the fake it till you make it philosophy. I just picked up a large order from Sam's, and another from Kroger (although somehow I forgot both tomato paste and canned tomatoes).  I have a bunch of sides (some of them admittedly microwavable like 90 second rice and the mini mashed potatoes for one),  frozen and fresh vegetables, bagged salads and a few other things like frozen biscuits and hushpuppies. I ordered bulk packages of some meats including chicken thighs and pork chops and crab cakes and for now I'll rely on what I have as I experiment with this cookng for one thing. In theory I've planned for carryout at least once a week, but if I don't need to take advantage of it, that would be good. Not ready to work on the "prepping" idea quite yet, especially since I haven't had any real shortages, just substitutions here and there in my orders.

I did go to Aldi though, and actually wandered inside, since I haven't had one around for many years, and got a few special things (crackers, snacks, German treats, apple sausage and a few other items ike baking stuff which really cannot be found for the price anywhere else). I broke down and got one of those turntable spice racks with all the spices as a starter set. I also grabbed a store made stuffed turkey breast (cranberries and sausage) meal-and looked over their remaining Advent calendars.  

While I could wax on about Aldi, (starting with German chocolates and bake goods and moving onto the special deals aisle), the best thing about Aldi at this time of year are their Advent calendars.  Wine advent calendars, Ale/brew Advent calendars, Chocolate Advent Calendars, gourmet cheese Advent calendars, hard seltzer Advent calendars, sparkling wine calendars, a bath fizzer calendar, and dog and cat treat calendars. I'm sure there are more I missed.  They stocked them a week ago today, and there are almost none left in store (my daughter gifted me a gourmet chocolate calendar and an emporium cheese selection calendar). Oh, there are also about ten kid versions!  



I do believe that I may be joining the afternoon nap group on some days. Wasn't sure if I would return to night owl status once living alone, or how my natural clock would go, but I seem to be going to bed at ten, falling asleep at eleven and waking up by seven-but still feeling the need for a liedown many afternoons. Even when I was doing social butterfly thing I tred to save the time after lunch dates for resting. This seems to work for now, for me anyway.

Today another gal came by knocking on the door to introduce herself, and there she was, mask down around her chin. I need to keep a mask by the front door for these situations. Our inner hallway is kind of half outside, open air with a covering and an elevator if you will, so I guess some folks consider it outside, but I want to keep on the way I am for now. 


After I have had my rest, dinner will be maple mustard pork chops and I want to begin on some painted Christmas cards. Not usually a card sender as such, but if there was ever a year to become one, I think this is it. I also have one of those tall, multicolored drawer rolling carts to put together for all the paints and markers and such. We'll see if I feel up to it, or if I save it for Sunday when SIL and D come over-they'll hang up all the pictures and do all of that labor that I need done

The final things to officially unpack (everything is is unpacked and organized in piles here and there), are the Christmas boxes. Normally I fall under the "one holiday at a time" umbrella. This year though, I don't see any sense in putting them in the storage room for a couple weeks, so the decor may go up pre Thanksgiving as I get to them!  Besides, I could use the cheer!

23 comments:

  1. Yep the boomer one kills me, as I am a Canadian and don't need to worry about health care. Though I do so want to ask the poster how his parents basement works as a living quarters.

    Those Advent calendars sound lovely, makes me wish I had an Aldi's near me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna enjoy them, just wish I could enjoy the wine

      Delete
  2. I would not be handing out masks. I would put a sign on the door that requested everyone put on a mask before knocking on the door! But, that is just me.

    I may have asked before, but have you ever considered cooking all the thighs at once and freezing them separately to pull out and use however you like? One could easily be used for a salad, entree, use different things like bbq sauce on them.

    I know you will be glad to get all the decorations up and out of the floor. You make me want to decorate for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not considering cooking all the thighs at once. I prefer to pull out 3 at a time and do different recipes or preparation. I have 4 different menu items planned for 12 thighs. I'm not handing out masks. Not sure why you thought that?

      Delete
  3. All bets are off on Holiday decorations this year. If it makes you happy and saves stashing then un-stashing do it and be glad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'll be home, I figure lots of time to enjoy decorations. Chin mask people make me shake my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're beginning to settle in & beginning to see a new life! Good for you, Barb!! Whatever it takes to make one smile, is good this year & actually, all the time. Life's too short not to be happy if we have the ability to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the reasons I love your blog... You give me good ideas. Aldi Advent calendars... I never heard of them or noticed them. I am excited to look for them at Aldi. I have two Aldi stores near me and a couple of others not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can still find them. People line up in the first day to get the darned things.

      Delete
  7. I think it's a great idea to start Christmas early and will start this week. I did just get it all moved to storage but that's ok because I also got the storage arranged so the tub of decorations will be easy to pull out. The Minnesota daily case numbers keep climbing and I was hesitant to open my apartment door without a mask but kept forgetting. I solved that problem by placing a mobile cart in front of the door. I think you will be safer if you wear a mask and so hope you also find a way to keep a mask handy by the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think.ill.be fine now thet are on my dining table which is the first thing when you enter

      Delete
  8. Wish we had an Aldi but guess we are lucky to have Walmart in tiny town. You made a good point about Christmas cards. I had gotten out of the habit also and you are so right that this is the perfect year to reach out and connect. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. An idea from my retired gals facebook group.

      Delete
  9. Stocking a pantry is a big job when you have to replace every little thing - baking powder/soda, spices, condiments, staples, etc. The first baked item can be a very expensive proposition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wine advent calendars ... what a great idea! Yeah, we keep a mask by the front door because people still do occasionally show up unbidden and unmasked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And if it's not by the door, I'll forget until the darned thing is open.

      Delete
  11. Those Advent calendars sound great! I don't think we have anything like that here. Darn!

    Christmas decorating will be starting here soon, though our Thanksgiving was in October. I've bought more craft supplies so must get busy and finish some new ones.

    Take care, stay well, and I hope your neighbour's get the point about masks soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea i promised myself I would make so.e new Christmas decor, need to get on the stick.

      Delete
  12. I love reading all about the move, your new home, projects, activities, etc. Would you mind sharing where you got the tall, multicolored drawer rolling cart? I am sucker for cool organizational stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased mine (now put together), at Sam's club, but I know they have them at other places

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!