Saturday, November 28, 2020

Free and Frugal Friday (On Saturday)-Post Thanksgiving Issue

 I have a confession to make. I watched an entire second season of a show yesterday (Virgin River). Oh, I did things like decorating my tree, and I tried to get up and walk for ten minutes twice, I ate, and I did some knitting.  But mainly? Binging the show. Which is not my normal speed in any way and I only checked out because in a fit of not having normal stuff to read, I once read the entire series of books on which the TV show is based (seriously, the books are quite good and so is the Netflix series and the characters are well developed).

There was a time, not so many years ago, when "staying out of the stores" equated no spending. That time is, of course, no more. I actually did go out briefly yesterday-to do a curbside pickup of lights for my tree and milk, eggs and juice from Target. After than-back into my post Thanksgiving cave.

Holiday week or no, I managed to keep things fairly frugal in retirement land.

1.  My kids sent me home with three of these containers of food. Between them there was ham, turkey, potatoes, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce, some pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Oh and two huge servings of sausage stuffing because I asked for it to be made.  Even with only three of us and a pared down menu, there was a frightening amount of food left. I should have spread it out, but due to binging laziness see above), I ate said food for lunch and dinner on Friday, some for lunch and it's still not gone. 



2. I took laptop, TV, and washing machine off the table for now. This is only a deferrment, so probably not appropriate for a frugal win.  More so if I tell you the primary reason is that I want to do more research and I want to "go bigger" than originally planned. My idea of a 43 inch TV has morphed into 55 inches, and my goal is now a fifteen inch laptop. There will be specials after the holidays as well, and for the first time in heaven knows how many years, I've told my kids and relatives that contrary to ever other year they have known me, this year I will be happy to receive gift cards. (We have a $50 to $100 limit and everyone adheres to it including me, although I may spend more throughout the year). Oh, and I'm calling it frugal because I will be shocked if after the first of the year when everyone picks up their new toys, I cannot find both a washer and a TV on Facebook Marketplace.  I'm gonna let son and son in law choose my laptop, as long as it's Windows based. 


Also glad I waited to hang stuff in living and dining area until after the holiday, because a fifty five inch TV is gong to cover MUCH more wall than this almost invisible 28 incher!

In order to be a sneaky parent and get past the fifty dollar limit I agreed to, I've setup a bunch of subscribe and save things for both kids that will begin on the first of the year and repeat every month or three-scrub tops, socks for the restaurant manager and all of that good stuff.

3. I did not buy any Christmas decor. I'd like to still pick up a couple things for the patio and the door, at some point (or make something, who knows). Things will be a bit sparse this year, but next year we are dividing up all the stuff I left behind including the Christmas village and pottery and who knows what else-I will be overdecorated. So this year, I'm happy with my baby tree, one of my many nativities, advent wreath, two village pieces and quilts and other decor.

4. While you can never have too many art supplies or fabric or yarn, I've kept to my stated goal of working only with what I have on hand to make cards, quilts, sweater, whatever (except for finishing need). That rule will be broken this week, but not for me. My son in law, lord love him, washed my daughter's Christmas quilt in hot water. And yes, the white is now all pink. So she is getting a new quilt (hopefully) as her Christmas gift, and I bought yarn to make someone else a blanket.  

5. In the past week I've gotten butter for a buck fifty (promised Colorado that they would get Christmas cookies and dog blankets!), a Martha Stewart King size comforter and shams (desperately needed, even in Texas my summer quilt will not last much longer) for $30 and happened on two wish lists right at the time that the desired item was fifty percent off on Amazon.

Tomorrow my Advent church study is a four week program with reflections on  A Christmas Carol. Need to be presentable (at least the top half of me) alert and awake and on Zoom by ten fifteen. Here I go!

11 comments:

  1. Barb, you might tell your daughter to buy and wash the quilt with those color grabbing laundry cloths. I have used them with good results....just a thought.
    It sounds like you are settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working since he waded and dried on normal said quilt, lol

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I'm sure that was a educational moment for your son-in-law...and lucky granddaughter to get a new quilt out of it.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always put an affectionate smile on my face at your idea of frugal living. I grew up in an area where lots of Dutch immigrants lived and their idea of frugal living was wringing six cups of tea from one tea bag and going to a neighborhood's house if there was something on TV they wanted to see....even if they owned one of their own, to save on electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, a 55" tv is not too large at all. I could not find the washer I wanted, so I went to a rent to own place and bought mine from there. They insisted I rent, but finally let me buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to buy mine from facebook marketplace

      Delete
  5. We watched the fist season of Virgin River. Will watch the second as soon as we're done with Offspring. The great frugal thing about Netflix is that you can watch all you want, as fast as you want ... all for the same low price!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote YES on going bigger. So much easier on aging eyes. We have 55" TV and my laptop is 16" (but Apple). I did have to get used to the larger size and weight to carry it around!

    I'm not being frugal ... I'm being a pandemic shopper, so not always on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually I find everything on sale and there is pretty much nothing I need or worry about getting. I hear about all the prepping, just not seeing it personally.

      Delete
  7. I love Thanksgiving leftovers and yes, we have a lot of it too. I froze a bunch of it. Your new TV is fabulous! We bought my mom a 60" several years ago because of her failing eyesight. However, we don't have any wall space in our area where we can put a big TV so our TV is only 32". Ah well. We just sit closer to the TV.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!