Sunday, September 27, 2020

Monday Musings-Why I'm Not Taking All My Stuff and Other things.

A few people, via comments and emails, have wondered why I am not taking all my possessions from this "shared home". The latest was Elle, yesterday evening. Most of the questions have to do with finances and my fixed income (Although I do need to add that fixed income is not an alternative phrase for either "broke" or "poor")  It's a fair question though, so I thought I would attempt to give some answers today.  While I don't want to generalize, I suspect readers who have moved across the country or moved fairly often (waiving to my military/federal friends) may have more of an inkling than others. 

1.  Moving is damned expensive when you have to pay for it yourself, and it is OFTEN cheaper to purchase things at the other end and say good bye to the ones you have. My previous move was completely DIY including a driven Uhaul. Even after I left half my possessions behind (Including a large butcher block kitchen table and a queen sleigh bed and dressers),  I was well onto the four thousand dollar mark at reloction's end. I can bet you I replaced those things for less than the addtional two grand minimum I would have spent.

On this move I will need movers at both ends. Moving a bedroom and sewing room, which includes  a queen bed and frame, two wooden dressers and a wooden bookshelf, a six foot executive desk and office chair, a large wooden dresser and the equivalent of 15 large boxes (plus various lamps and one possible more furniture piece) is $2000 from here to there. I believe that I can refurnish my home on the mainly used market for less than the additional two thousand dollars or possibly more that it would cost me to move other things. 


While this listing is unfortunately a little dark, at $150 its a perfect sample of what will work for me

2.  It would be cruel and unkind to take things from the shared house under current circumstances. When we all moved into this house, the three of us (even my son) all had our own furniture and possessons. When it came to the "shared spaces" (mainly the two living spaces and kitchen, plus the outdoor patio), we generally got rid of and downsized and combined so that we have a comfortable home.  Son's pub kitchen table (which reverts to a game table on the other side), sister's dining table, my large sectional and china cabinet and so forth. It's made a for a comfortable home and I am not comfortable, right or wrong, in dividing it up now. By the same token, when things in the house have been needed, different people have purchased different things. My son bought the patio dining set. I bought the good wood mop. My sister got most of the decor you see in pictures in the lower garden. Various other things were added the same way, and for the most part considered part of the house possessions, rather then "his" or"hers" (at least for now).

If we were ALL leaving at the same time my perspective would possibly be different. If we were ALL leaving the house, possessions would be divided up by who brought them, or perhaps who cared most about them. In these circumstances, that does not have to happen yet, and since the other two are not moving until next spring it gives them (and me) time to think about what they will take and what they will need to replace. I've told my son to take the large sectional and coffee table if he would like them to his apartment or sell them and we'll split the cost! He'll also have to sell the huge china cabinet (I don't want it).

3.  I live in a large home and am moving to an apartment, folks.  I'm at fifteen hundred feet upstairs alone-never mind the patio. I'm moving to less than 900 feet. My dining room area is eight and a half feet square and I need a small four seater table with no leaves. There will be absoutely no room for a three sided sectional and I may not even want a six by four foot coffee table or the chair and a half love seat (which is the dog's favorite pace on earth to be and will comfort him when I am gone).....you get the idea. Again, if there is moving space,  there are some small pieces I will add to the mix. I will need different types of furniture and in many ways my lifestyle will be different

4.  The upholstered furniture especially is old and no longer my taste as such. I purchased the brown sectional in 2008. It has lived through two moves, three dogs with chronic conditions and the use and abuse that people who eat, drink and craft in their living spaces commit. I'm excited to look at different furnishings and have no problem with Ikea and even the used market for anything not upholstered. Yes, it helps that I will be the recipient of a hand me down recliner couch for awhile, but I would have managed either way. I'm actually excited about new possesions and have started knitting decor for the new space. 



5. If you've been reading, I'm leaving pretty much with all the things I care about and need. I have pots, pans and baking pans for every occasion (although I can use more baking sheets) as well as utensis. I'm leaving with all of my good dishes and glassware, as well as all the appliances I need except a toaster/toaster oven. I wouldn't be taking the large casseroles and my roasting pan to cook for just me or occasionally make snacks for a reading or book group when one can do that again (someday, someday)! My so called Amazon apartment wish list includes a set of knives, a toaster oven or toaster, new mixing bowls and cereal bowls (to match my pottery dishes which only have the flat bowls)  and small casserole pans. It also includes things like a shower rod and shower curtains and bath mat, things which I would get new no matter where I went.

There are things that will not fit on this trip for various reasons, but which will either need to come down when my son comes or in my car when I come up to visit, and he will slowly pack those in between now and the first of the year/spring. These include boxes of genealogy and memorabilia that may not fit, some of my large quilt racks, and other things. I'm only taking less than a third of the Christmas stuff and eventually that will have to be divided up (how do you even divide a Christmas village when everone loves the thing?  Get them their own pieces I guess!). There are collectibes and decor items that will also come down later, after my personal packer extrordiaire has packed them and loaded them into his car.

6.  And finally, while I appreciate the interest and love explaining my reasoning and finances (that is why I blog, after all), I need to be clear. I am not doing anything that I cannot afford, or that is detrimental to my well being in the long run. While I did not share my budget specifics when I posted the other day-keeping the discussion to budget areas, my budget in my new home is, as they say, in a really "good place". Not taking everthing that "belongs" to me is not affecting me in a detrimental way-financially or otherwise. Whether it is not taking more things for my new life, helping a kid, or paying the grand for a loving dog's teeth cleaning, I am doing what I can afford and feel is right at this time. My long term plan down the road includes sharing a home with my daughter and son in law as opposed to continuing care/assisted living.  But that's a living situation rather than a financial one. And meanwhile I believe the best gift I can give to my children is to live life well and take care of myself in all aspects. Including finances.

In other news, it's been fall for a week and I have yet to have a pumpkin anything. It may be time for a pumpkin spiced chai latte tomorrow, if nothing else.



21 comments:

  1. I haven't got a lot of experience moving but it seems like the perfect time to make the kind of decisions you are...buying new and updating once you get there, disregarding and gifting here before you leave. Gosh, moving is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a miracle i never believe there is cure because my doctor tested me HSV 2 positive and she told me there is no cure, i’m very happy today that i’m having a free life without this sickness, i can remember some months ago when i was crying all through the night and day that i can’t get cured from this sickness, i found this herbal man email on internet when i was doing research on cure for HSV 2 i contacted him to found out if i can get help from this sickness, i was so surprise when he told me that he have the herbs cure to it and he sent me the herbal in less down 4 days i was so happy when i get someone giving me hope that he can cured me i took the herbal for just 2 weeks, when i went for test after taking the herbal i found out that i am cured i was so happy and surprise, i want to use this opportunity to inform you that there is cured to HSV 2 you can also contact him for his help as soon as possible so that you can get rid of this sickness once and for all you can reach him through this email: DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM or and you can also call or whatapp him now +2349035465208. You can also contact him on any sickness in this he all have the herbal cure to it
      .HIV.HEPATITIS.ANTHRAX.HPV.CANCER.ALS

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you. You've done a lot of thinking and planning. Good for you in thinking of a future living arrangement too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actualy not a great plan ahead type, so all this is work for me, lol

      Delete
  3. You are absolutely right. When we moved coast to coast 3 years ago we only brought furniture that we were sure would fit into our new smaller home and different lifestyle plus had many years life left. Smaller items like serving dishes, vases etc were grouped on a table and we each picked any we didn’t want to leave behind or we decided how many we were likely to actually need and picked the best. I didn’t move large easily replaceable at thrift stores but hard to pack kitchen items (large serving dishes come to mind). Our mattresses were due for replacement anyway so we slept on a deluxe air bed for months till we found exactly what we wanted, That air bed is now an extra guest bed that has gotten lots of use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Everyhing has to justify itself and things tha can be replaced or would need to be replaced soon need to stay

      Delete
  4. I learned so much from the two year period where we moved 3 times. It is VERY expensive, More than you think it will be, for one thing!AND..that I don’t want to do it again in the near future,say for at LEAST 10 years,lol!!

    A few of my things were broken,some cookbooks got wet and were ruined. I sold some furniture I LOVED from one house when we moved to a smaller one, then we moved BACK INTO the larger house and I am so sorry I sold a few of those things.

    Well,I figure life is an adventure, and moving surely makes us appreciate when we have a safe and cozy home. Good luck with your relocation—it sounds like a perfect situation for this time fo your life, and being near your daughter will be so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am both looking frward to it nad finding it hard to leave!!

      Delete
  5. I learned so much from the two year period where we moved 3 times. It is VERY expensive, More than you think it will be, for one thing!AND..that I don’t want to do it again in the near future,say for at LEAST 10 years,lol!!

    A few of my things were broken,some cookbooks got wet and were ruined. I sold some furniture I LOVED from one house when we moved to a smaller one, then we moved BACK INTO the larger house and I am so sorry I sold a few of those things.

    Well,I figure life is an adventure, and moving surely makes us appreciate when we have a safe and cozy home. Good luck with your relocation—it sounds like a perfect situation for this time fo your life, and being near your daughter will be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you have a very good handle on things. When I was planning/hoping to move a year ago I had no intention of taking a lot of furniture with me. The cost of movers is definitely pricey! I'm like you and have no issue with used furniture (other than the bed) so would have lived with less until I found the pieces I wanted.

    Your move is happening soon, isn't it? Safe travels and happy move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I have the sofa, my bed, and at leas one table to quilt on, I am good.

      Delete
  7. New adventures await you! So happy for you.

    There is something very freeing about downsizing and having only what you really want and/or need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving into a smaller home is a challenge (one I am not looking forward to), but it the perfect time to downsize.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen and I downsized to a home half the size of the one we were living in. We had accumulated 40 years of "stuff" and another fifty years of her mother's "stuff." We had a three-day garage sale which cleaned out most of it, and donated the rest. This was the most liberating experience I've ever had. Dump what you don't need and move on. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have the right attitude, and strategy. When we downsized we got rid of a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff. But after we moved we realized we still had too much. Our new garage is just as overcrowded as our old garage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am listening :)
    Figuring out what has enough emotional worth to take or leave is tough stuff for me. You are helping- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have the advantage of the fact that my son is stil here and can bring a caload of stuff or two down (mainly of collectible pottery and genealogy), later.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your thought processes! Having already downsized and then downsized again, you are spot on! We are lucky enough to still have a decent income in retirement. ENJOY IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I plan to. Without being hampered down by too much I hope

      Delete
  13. what a miracle i never believe there is cure because my doctor tested me HSV 2 positive and she told me there is no cure, i’m very happy today that i’m having a free life without this sickness, i can remember some months ago when i was crying all through the night and day that i can’t get cured from this sickness, i found this herbal man email on internet when i was doing research on cure for HSV 2 i contacted him to found out if i can get help from this sickness, i was so surprise when he told me that he have the herbs cure to it and he sent me the herbal in less down 4 days i was so happy when i get someone giving me hope that he can cured me i took the herbal for just 2 weeks, when i went for test after taking the herbal i found out that i am cured i was so happy and surprise, i want to use this opportunity to inform you that there is cured to HSV 2 you can also contact him for his help as soon as possible so that you can get rid of this sickness once and for all you can reach him through this email: DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM or and you can also call or whatapp him now +2349035465208. You can also contact him on any sickness in this he all have the herbal cure to it
    .HIV.HEPATITIS.ANTHRAX.HPV.CANCER.ALS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!