Saturday, August 15, 2020

Retirement Relocation-Where I'm Moving To (The Town)

Good or bad, some of the posts for the next six weeks are gonna be about the moving process. Since those posts were very popular all those years ago, hopefully you will bear with me.  I had planned to write the first post about the specific location of my home and why I chose that community/association but first I figured I would write about the town.

As folks who have read this blog for awhile know, I did live in Texas once before. When I returned from Germany the last time in late 2007, untl 2012. We moved there after my husband passed away because we had been a traveling family and I figured it would be a good idea for my kids to spend some quality time with the grandparents and aunts and uncles (who were not hesitant about sharing experiences past with their son/brother). Eventually kids and cousins went to college and did their thing and grandparents moved on as well and a combination of not being happy in the the cookie cutter town of Allen as well as having the urge to live near MY relatives for awhile had me downsizing and moving on.

All of which is to say that I did not go into Texas blind with no idea of where to go or how things worked. I knew which highways were toll roads (see below) had a general idea of the "personality" of many of the suburbs I would look at,  knew the climate and many more  of the more obvious things

There were many things I missed about Texas. Heck , I even wrote about them once or twice, and I was ready to embrace them again. A flat geography, warm weather, the friendiest people of anywhere I have lived (I have literally had people come up to me in the grocery store and ask me how I am today just because), the lower cost of living, the access to a variety of geographic vistas near by, and of course my daughter and son in law. All have affected my need/desire to move (and since I know people will ask, urban and much of suburban Texas is VERY  bluish/purple in many areas). And yes, shopping and Whataburger. 




This time I was looking for a different suburb and environment. It needed to make me happy. It needed to be close to D and SIL (but I was willing to go up to 45 minutes and even looked at Celina and towns north and off the map). I explored Mckinney (always one of the best towns to live in). I looked at Prosper where my daughter lives-her homes is about halfway between the Prosper star and the Crossroads sign above. Many nice suburbs, with different personalities. I looked at Frisco (where the Dallas Cowboys are headquartered).

In the end, I chose where I started my search, which was Denton

Because (in no special order):

1. It's  college town with two decent sized universities,  one of which has one of the best arts program in the state.  I'm always a fan of college towns and all the community stuff they offer. Plus of course, the youth. I love the youth.

2. It's on the same main drag as my daughter is, and easy to reach. (I'm basically be just past the sign that says 380 on the map and it's 20 minutes)

3. It has a VERY active music scene as well as an arts scene. If I were willing to move that far I would aso be happy in Austin because I love going into corner of the wall music venues not knowing who will be there or what I will listen to, be it jazz, blues, rock or whatever. It has both a jazz and a music festival.

4. It's very diverse,  including poltically. The town council, for example is very non partisan.

5. Most of those up and down highways you see on the map are toll roads. I'd be living next to the interstate (right to the left/east of the town) and could get to most of the places I wanted to without as much toll tag usage!

5. It has up to date and well funded (as does most of the greater area) community offerings including exercise venues, paths, libraries and parks. This includes a large freestanding senior center that offers lunch/activities/tours/exercise classes as well as senior transportation and free buses. In fact, I just learned today that it has the largest community garden in the US. Obviously how much of those facilities I will be able to use right now and when that will change depends on the developments of the Pandemic).  



6. It's considered one of the three hippy-ish towns in Texas (along with Austin and San Marco).  I'm into hippy-ness and being laid back.

7.  It has two large, up to date, modern medical centers. 



8.  Unlike Allen, Denton is an older town. It's always been on the main railway (it creates a "triangle" between Fort Worth and Dallas). Lots of older houses (as well as newer), etablished trees and gardens every where, a town square with a renovated courthouse.

9.  I just like it-and the vibe.

10. While it's a forty minute drive, thanks to that "triangle" geography thing above it's a mainly one road, well maintained straight highway drive to either Dallas downtown or Forth Worth downtown when I want to go city-ing, which I will.

I'm sure I'll have more to add later to the list, when I think about it. My community is right next to Texas Women's University. But that's another post, for another (maybe next) time!

26 comments:

  1. I really look forward to all your packing and moving posts. You had some well-though out criteria for where you wanted to live and I'm glad you would a town that fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I msy still be in hibernation for ythe next year but the future, it looks goid

      Delete
    2. Thankes to Dr OSAZE, who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. i married for over eight years wthout a child of my own. because of the problem with my fallopian tubbe and fibroid, until i came in conntact with Dr OSAZE's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illment, and i decided to contact him, and he administered his medicatons on me, and i became pregnant in two monnths. incasse you wannt to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
  2. Oh, that town sounds made for you and I know having one of the University's near you will have you trekking over there frequently:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how agonizing it was to pick a town to live in when we moved from NY to PA. So many different factors -- restaurants, cultural activities, like-minded people, feel of the place; plus, how close to family, airport, city. Nobody gets everything, but we are happy with our pick. It sounds like you done good with yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it can difficult to find a happy medium, never mind the perfect place. Hopefully I've done well.

      Delete
  4. I can see your reasoning has found you an ideal town to move to. It is best to do planning, as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can only plan so much but yes, I feel fairly confident

      Delete
  5. All the reasons were reasons that would resonate and matter to me. Maybe I can move to Denton, too. But, there would be no relatives near me, not that there are now. I am looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really did your research. It does sound like it fits you. I love the idea of all the diversity and having 2 colleges certainly will add to the list of activities. I'm looking forward to hearing more. Plus your daughter is nearby and that will be very nice although you will miss your son. Since he's a chef( can't quite remember) the restaurant scene probably is great if he wanted to move as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice. She's been taling with me sending me sofa and seating photos all the time. He is actually happy here, he had no friends in Texas (he's very shy and not confident) and wants to stay for now.

      Delete
  7. I had to google the population (because I'm geeky like that), and the city of 138,000 sounds very nice. Not too big, not to small and with lots of amenities and interesting history.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great place to live! Excited for you😁

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im excited to go, but sad to leave my sister and son. A double edged sword.

      Delete
  9. I look forward to hearing about the move in all the future posts.
    I think we will eventually have at least an apartment in Portland so we can visit our granddaughter easily, but I don't think I would like to live there year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. Eventually I will live with son and daughter in law.

      Delete
  10. I have relatives who live on 5 acres in Fairview and a niece who lives in McKinney.They love Texas.My bio Dad’s family are Texans..Texas oil people. We lived in Clear Lake City ,Houston, for a while back int he 80’s.I thought Texans were very friendly,too.. I think you’ve done a lot of research, and Denton sounds charming! With so many opportunities for music and culture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to live in Allen, right next to Fairview, but do not miss it much. The area around it is getting SO built up. Mckinney is lovely, it's where my daughter was married.

      Delete
  11. I lived in Denton for 2 1/2 years while in graduate school at TWU and liked it very much! I think you have made a great choice for all the reasons you mentioned. - A lively and interesting town with easy access to big city amenities. I understand there is now an A train that will take you to Dallas, although that has developed since I left. I’m eager to hear about your new life in Denton.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes my daughter also got her masters there. Im looking forward to it.

      Delete
  12. Sounds great for you Barbara! Our date to leave our area is June 2021.We have a lot of the same criteria.:-) Now that packing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seriously downsuzed, am not a keeper and am getting all new furniture. So I'm just getting one pod now and one next year it looks like

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great place to live. I bet you’re excited to get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am Marilyn, thanks to Dr Sunday herbal center who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr Sunday recommendation onLine,of how he has helped numerous childless couples to have children with the help of his wonderful herbal medication, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me.within the space of two months, i became pregnant, I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other infertility issues, you can reach him through his email:
    Drsundayherbalcenter@gmail.com He said get herbal medicine to get cure diseases like Breast Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B,HIV/Aids,Vagina problems.Lung diseases.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!