Thursday, May 28, 2020

Hitting the Hump?

Like many of you, it seems, I have for whatever reason, seemingly  hit some bumps in the road lately.  I mean, in theory I have accepted for awhile that life will not be as it was, probably for close to a year. I've accepted that large group meetups, swimming in the heated pool at the rec center or taking an exercise class, in movie experiences, and over night day trips are a thing of the past. Just to begin with.

But all of a sudden, the at home thing has really hit me. Especially as I am among those who are committed to truly continuing to stay home by choice, as opposed to starting to hit the exit doors. While I appreciate that restaurants are open and my son's company will survive, I personally am not going to a sit down restaurant any time soon. Nor am I going to a hair dresser, nail salon or any one of a host of opportunities that are opening up. I'm still taking advantage of curbside pickup from my local small businesses, although I prefer delivery. And Instacart is my future, probably permanently. This feeling has just grown after my couple days of driving to recharge my car and driving in and out of local shopping centers to see what's going on. After seeing non family members maskless and shoulder to shoulder and growing crowds and how people make fun of those who wear masks, I'm avoiding that environment for as long as I can. 

Is it summer?  The changing seasons?  Does the close to seventy day isolation mark mean something (or however many days it is since 10 March)? I thought I was doing well, but all of a sudden not quite so much?

Today I left my bubble for the first time to drop off my car and get a new battery. I learned my lesson and will be driving twice  a week alone now to get out and about. If a swollen gum does not start healing, I'l be visiting my favorite dentist next week. Other than that, nothing will be changing that much that I can see.

I realize that I am better off than many, and in fact I have shared the lists of things I have to keep me "busy".  I have about fifty things that I CAN do anytime I want to inside this house. I have a VERY large yard filled with plants and flowers and trees. I don't live alone (something that I consider even as I remain commited to living alone in the fall in my active community in Texas), and my nature is to self entertain with little difficulty. Even so, more than my large social groups, I miss the chance to run to the library (even if it is to drop off a book), to take a drop in exercise class, To take myself out to lunch alone at the spur of the moment, to drop off a package at the post office, to partake in a local church group small group (see below).  





So what to do?  It would be easy to just make a list of all the things I could sew or knit to or paint or write get through the summer, and I'm working on a list of "creative" projects to make or finish, as well as ideas of a complete handmade Christmas that I can work on in my free time.

But I also need other things that will make me happy, busy, content, or all three, as I move through the next months. So I've begun a list, and I know that I am not alone in this, as I've seem something similar on at least four blogs in the past few days.. Some of these are things that must be done to put my life forward, most are things I want to do, and some I suppose are things that will challenge me. Like other lists, this list is ongoing and a moving target, if you will.


  • Go outside for at least two hours every day unless it is absolutely pouring or hailing (my doctor would rather I exercised in house instead of walking, so this is my substitute for my two hour walk, and as I hope my photos show, the yard is worth it, no thanks to me). I have a huge need for sunshine, fresh air, and nature.
  • Start ordering via take away or delivery at least once a week. I know many readers have been doing this. We have not, and while I am on the agggressive savings plan for Texas I am SO VERY tired of cooking. And as the mother of a resturant manager I want to support local businesses. This is a sanity saving issue.
  • Find a summer online Olli or other type of class and watch it (I think my local Olli center has nothing till Fall so I may need to look further)
  • Have brother and sister in law over to see the yard, give my notice and maybe have fourth of July cocktails (we have two large outdoor table and chair sets about sixteen feet apart so they could come in side gate and we could still distance)....edit: Yesterday SIL called and asked if we wanted to come over a week from Saturday and visit and social distance in their back yard so we could see their garden!
  • See if there is a way to have a small group park meeting with my gals, or maybe in someone else's yard so we could see each other at least once.
  • Join in a small group in my church. The plan is for these to be virtual now, but they would be less than ten people and by zip code. So as the groups felt comfortable, they would get together in person.
  • I'm a road tripper. Take a drive that ends in a park or somewhere that I can hopefully get out and move around a teeny bit while isolating and then drive home.
  • Eat the yummy stuff: No, I don't want to throw health to the wind. But an A and W rootbeer float is calling to me, as is the lemon meringue pie a certain person will make today. And I want a nice smore, like  yesterday.  Damned the ever lovin calories.
  • Bake:  a custard pie, a family sized flan, blueberry muffins
  • Wear the good clothes on occasion. And the perfume, earring and accessories. Even if it's just for me and those who live with me.
  • Cook: explore a bunch of slow cooker recipes specific to summer
  • Figure out some physical, active volunteering I can do as opposed to just giving money (which is needed during this time).  I actually have a plan for this that I will share.
  • Take a virtual museum tour and/or watch a virtual concert or play on a regular basis (we have Disney plus and I am counting the loooong days until I can stream Hamilton which I was supposed to see on a train tour to Chicago).
  • Take a virtual group sip and paint and other craft class
  • Call daughter and son in law weekly (not sure I am driving down ahead of the move at this point unless I feel I need to do something with the Sequoia)
  • Work on the Texas list, which includes room by room breakdown of take, sell, donate, give to son's apartment, research pods for moving, and about eighty other things which deserve  seperate post. This is must do stuff, boring as some is.
  • Create some new music play lists on Amazon Music
  • Play with old family photos and make a shutterfly like album or two.
I need more. Any ideas?

21 comments:

  1. Wow, now that is a great list! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list! I tried to make quarantine fun, but it really has not been. I am still sticking to my house or Mom's house, other than a medical procedure I needed, grocery shopping (about 1 time every 2 weeks and wearing as close to a hazmat suit as I can muster) or visiting the State Health Dept to get Mom's death certificates.
    We do have a few good neighbors though and everyone brings their own chair and drink and we have some distance visits in each others driveways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pretty much accepted tht life will be much like this for the rest of the year, as we will have issues in the fall and witer ad need to return to this. Life needs to go on and I need to live it.

      Delete
  3. Our library is offering curbside pickup of books and I'm so excited over that because I was able to pick up two books that I've been wanting to read. I agree with you that getting outside every day helps. Even to drive to a park and just sitting or reading is a nice way to get a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ours is starting that as well. They'll sanitixe them and hold them before the next checkout. The outside i just need it.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're doing well. One idea: If there's nothing available at OLLI you might try coursera which offers many online lectures. I've taken a history course, two psychology courses and an African American studies course. There's no interaction, but plenty of interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I get occasional emails from them that have never followed through.

      Delete
  5. That's quite a list, but then you always have great lists. I had to laugh at myself yesterday. I had a list made of 9-10 things and at bedtime I looked at it, crossed one thing off and scribbled off 'Wednesday' and wrote 'Thursday'.

    The stay-at-home orders are getting to a lot of right now. I'm like you, I will not break the rules and do continue to do my part but I'm so tired of worrying about the state of our country and the state of my own breaking point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! ha! I do the same thing with my lists. Cross off and change the days to be completed. I also add additional things I did that day to not feel guilty about not accomplishing more on the original list.

      Delete
    2. One of the many advantages to the bullet journal style of list making or calender-ing is that you just "migrate" unfinished items to the next day with no guilt. And are encouraged and allowed to remove things from the list after a certain period of time because unless its a life or death thing, its obivously just not important to you right now. So I have no problem changing my mind on the list tihng.

      Delete
  6. Great list!

    My husband and I resurrected the"Sunday Drives" of our childhoods. Most Sundays we head out a direction from our house and drive for an hour or so and meander back a different way. We just look at what's around - we don't stop, and are out maybe 2 hours or so. Sometimed we see baby farm animals, gardens, yard art, interesting houses, people walking. :)

    Definitely miss the library! Also popping into Joann's for quilt batting and other little needs and the quilt shops for finding just the right piece of fabric to match what I had already. Otherwise I'm doing well hunkering in, and haven't been bored yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Sunday drive is a lovely idea. I know that as a road tripper I should be doing the solo drive thng more even if I just end in a park and sit in my car and read. I do miss visiting some of my local small business

      Delete
  7. I am not worry about following the rules at all. I don't want to die or have Tommy die. I am content. I only wish my sewing machine were in the cabinet and I could put it in a room with light so I can sew. I have to be outside for a bit every day. We go for a drive, to pickup at drugstore, and I go to grocery alone. Well, he did go into Aldi's to get two meats. We are both quite happy to be away from other people, safe here at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not worried, but I am claustrophic a bit, I miss other people, a an extremely social person. i have plenty to do but like other posters I very much iss people and friends ther than my immediate family.

      Delete
  8. My goodness, that is quite the list but you're looking for more? You're definitely far more ambitious than I am.

    I know the feeling, as I'm finding myself chafing at the thought of being at home for so long. A friend and I have decided to have lunch at a distance next week in my back yard. It's the missing people other than my family that is getting to me the most.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looing for more with the knowledge that everyhing probably will not happen I suppose i should say.

      Delete
  9. I so enjoy your blog. You are an inspiration. It is such a comfort to read about how you carefully and joyfully manage your life. My best to you and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been feeling your angst for a while now. BUT, I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face on Wednesday. (Discovered by derm. at a routine once a year visit...that I am glad I didn't cancel.) She biopsied, a few days later I got the call. Was in surgery the next morning. Why am I telling you all this? Well--I have 6 sutures and cannot be in the sun AT ALL for now. Get sutures out next Thursday. Can't take my walks or do yard work or go to gym, etc. In other words, NO sweating!!

    On top of that, I have family in Minneapolis (actually St.Paul) and I am terrified for them with what is going on right now. Some shops and a gas station in St. Paul were burned down also. Too scary.

    Stay well---we are trying to stay locked down, too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My problem with herpes has caused me many traumas, especially in my sexual life. I was so afraid of infecting my Boyfriend, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists queries hundreds of times. Unfortunately, they did not find a definitive solution to my problem.The solution came from the least expected place By reading in a forum on the subject, mentioned a method for eliminating herpes. Many people had tried, with excellent and quick results.I had nothing to loose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my herpes. spent 18 days using this method and my herpes completely disappeared. I recommend this method to all whose infected with herpes virus, who want to eliminate the herpes from their body forever contact. Doctor Razor via his Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , I recommend his herbal herpes healing method. you can visit his website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome  , Whatsapp or Call Doctor Razor Via +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to use this medium to let everyone know that Herpes Simplex Virus has a complete and Permanent cure and that Dr Razor Herbal Medicine is the solution. I was Diagnosed with Herpes Virus type 1 in January 16, 2015, I have made several Research Hoping to see a true Cure or Healer, Fortunately for me i saw on a blog site how Dr Razor has been saving different lives and marriages with his herbal medicine, At first i did not believe but on a second thought, i decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he assured me of a cure, he prepared the herbal medication for me, which i took for 18 days, he told me to go for a medical check up, could you believe that i was confirm Herpes type 1 Negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also Negative, I became very happy and decided to write my appreciation article about this Good man. If you are battling with this same Infection or you know of a person who is infected with any disease like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis A,B,C, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, life's problems that you might have etc. kindly Reach out to Doctor Razor on Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442. You can Also Visit His website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . My Sincere Gratitude to you Sir, God will surely Keep you safe from harms way. Please share so Other lives can be saved

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!