Wednesday, January 8, 2020

A Clear Bill

Thank you, everyone, for your food suggestions. I made a note about many options. A few would not work because they weren't compatible with sitting a a chair with my beverage until I wake up and a couple would work if I added some carbs. Cereal is simply not my thing, it wasn't when I was six, I don't think. At least cold cereal. I got stuff to make mini omelets in muffin pans, and peanut butter to throw on my whole wheat bread, so that's a start of sorts.

In the past week it's been test time around here. Not the written kind, but the overdue medical type that should have been done around my birthday and got shoved aside for wedding and graduation issues.

So I finally managed to have an over all skin exam, a 3D mammogram, a thyroid scan of my goiter/nodules, an abdominal scan to check for a hernia and an trans vaginal scan (because I have a  family history of ovarian cancer and a personal history of fibroids and cysts.). 

A three hour frend this past week!


All the running around and the fun poking and prodding is now over. All the tests are in and you can call me clear for another year.  I may complain about the moderate co-pays, the mild discomfort and the scheduling issue, but I am always happy that they are done and for the peace of mind in that area . Admittedly,  at some point I need to get another cologuard test or a colonoscopy, and I should probably check out what the heck the guidelines these days are for pap smears for post menopausal women. And obviously I need my blood work done every six months.

Lord knows, this doesn't mean I am in perfect health.  I'm way overweight and that has been exacerbated by not walking for almost six weeks due to what we now believe was both an arthritis flare up AND a sprain of some kind. I'm still not back to exercising the way I was before my ankle injury. I still have type two, although it's well managed at a point just below six on the scale right now. I really need to increase my intake of fiber, fruits and vegetables and whole grains even if they increase my carb load a bit. And at some point I need to do the shingles thing-I've had the old, first shot and I now need to get the two for one hit-eventually. Trying to keep healthy in retirement is an ongoing thing, after all. And always more money wise in the long run than the opposite. 


If my walk today does not go well the doctor will put me back to chair exercise, so I'm crossing my fingers!


But I've checked off all most of those annual boxes, and one possible concern (pain that could have been a hernia) for another year. So Onward and Forward!

All of a sudden it's Wednesday, and I haven't seen my knitting pals for a few weeks. What with Christmas and New Year's Day being on Wednesday and all, it's been closer to a month and I'm ready to jump back in.  I did have a craft and chat with my gals group yesterday and a rousing discussion was had on all the options I had for neck warmers or a scarf with the piece of yarn I've begun working on, so I'll decide as I go, and try and get at least an hour or so of sitting and knitting and chatting again this afternoon!

First though, I'm off to try and mall walk a bit, and get a few needed items including a couple phone cords. It seems that even those long heavy, twisted like cords give up the ghost eventually. In this case, all at once, since I bought them all at once!



23 comments:

  1. Glad all your tests came out ok! I am finding that although there are some tests and shots that are on the same schedule for everyone, individual health circumstances seem to affect the schedule more as we age and we have individualized health issues. Do get the new shingles shots though as having shingles can be excrutiating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to. My sister has had flu symptoms each time which has put me off a bit but get it dine I will.

      Delete
    2. You immune system does kick in pretty well after the shot. I got it when I had a slow schedule but it didn't take long to bounce right back.

      Delete
    3. I definitely neet to do that.

      Delete
  2. I beg you, as I beg all my gal pals, please continue to get a yearly Pap smear / pelvic exam. I don't care what the doctor says about "guidelines for women our age." Even in the unlikely event that insurance doesn't cover it - a Pap smear is relatively cheap - around $35 in my area. Please, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I will talk with my Doctor about this. In my case theres also other issues for some women that don't apply to me but I wil discuss it.

      Delete
  3. You did good to get so many exams done and how great you have the all clear. As a senior I have lots of issues to check on too. I had the first of the two Shingrix vaccinations, next one in March, and a colonoscopy soon. Oh, and have a blessed 2020, dear blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will get those shingrix vaccines soon

      Delete
  4. It's always a great feeling to have your yearly tests out of the way and know you've got good results. And you're right, we spend a lot of our retirement trying to stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you......today I did walk, not as long as I wanted to, but I did

      Delete
  5. As a 21-year ovarian cancer survivor, I'm glad you got the transvaginal ultra sound. That's a good diagnostic tool if ovarian cancer runs in your family. The ultrasound is often accompanied by a CA-125, which is a simple blood test. It's not always reliable, so they don't do it until there's a family history. It's just one more tool in the tool bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a CA 125 in the past to establish a baseline but have not had it repeated which I should have. I have had a transvaginal ultrasound every year and sometimes every six months since 2001. I'm committed.

      Delete
  6. Glad your tests all came out clear. I must admit I'm one of "those" people who only go to the doctor when I seriously feel unwell. Of course, I don't like my doctor much - his manner is very abrupt and I never feel he gives enough time to each patient - but finding another primary physician is a pain in the butt.

    Good luck with the walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not do as much as I needed to but we will see how I am tomorrow. I may try and jump on the recumbent bike a bit before happy hour...I am looking for a new provider due to insrance changes.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the test results. Now just breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With my elbow fracture my doctor went full on ballistic when seeing my last mamo was in ....2012. Really, my family has no history of almost anything. Dad died of complications from Parkinsons (induced from a childhood trama), mom is still alive. Grandparents died in accidents or pneumonia.
    To make him feel better I did them all. Mamo/stool colon check/ bone scan/ all the blood work (I do that once a year, but never see the doctor- just read the results on line)/ekg/whatever else they could schedule (except a pap since my doc says it is too intrusive at my age and not necessary). What did they find---nothing.
    Still fat. Still low bp. Still low sugars. "get on a diet and you will live longer". My mom is 90 this year. Yes, I do need to walk more to improve my lungs.
    I don't think I want another titanium elbow! I do need to get back to being flexible--as soon as I am done with the flu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the flu. We've all got flu shots but the cold from hell is traveling around and I'm trying to replace it. Never had the bone scan and I should but I lots of calcium and have no issues. I REALLY need to get back on the exercise and weight train wagon...

      Delete
  9. B and I joke that it's a full-time job just trying to keep healthy in retirement. The exercise, the food, the doctor appointments ... don't forget social engagement. We joke about it, but it's really true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to read your tests came out fine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad things came out well. I’m gearing up for my annual physical and mammogram as well. My doctor does a Pap smear every other year now so I can avoid that this year. I’ve had one vaginal ultrasound, right after my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2018. My doctor does the CA-125 blood test every year. I will be glad by the end of January when it’s all done. I don’t love it, but like you, it always feels good to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Barb,
    Congratulations on the good reports. Looks like we'll be blessed with your writing for a while longer. I'm recovering from knee replacement and finding that getting back into exercise takes some real discipline and it doesn't come easy for me. Mall walking is a good idea...I'll give that a try. Have a great week and, by all means, stick to your knitting. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was born HIV positive.at the age of 16 I lost my mother because of the HIV infection And I regretted why i never met Dr James who could have cured my mum for me because as a single other it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr James and his herbal exploit online about how he cured all kind of human diseases like Chronic pancreatitis, HIV/Aids Herpes, Parkinson, Asthma, Autism,Copd, Epilepsy, Shingles, Cold Sore, Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Love Spell, Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer, Glaucoma., psoriasis, Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts, Muscular degeneration, Infectious mononucleosis., Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis,
    Dementia, Breast Cancer, Blood Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Love Spell, Chronic Diarrhea, Ataxia, Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis, Weak Erection, Breast Enlargment, Penis Enlargment,Hpv, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Diabetes Hepatitis and Cancer I was so excited but frighten at the same time because I did not come across such article on the internet then I contacted Dr James on his {EMAIL drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com}. I also talked with him on {what's app +2348152855846} he tells me how it works then I told him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I received my herbal medicine within 3/4 working days and I used the herbal medicine as he prescribed for me MORNING AND NIGHT and here living healthy again can imagine how good use men to manifest h and powerful DR JAMES HERBAL MIXED MEDICINE works I'm writing this article in appreciation to thank Dr James and to let you all know there is a cure for HIV/AIDS.THANK YOU 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!