Friday, July 12, 2019

Frugal Friday, More or Less-and a Reader Question

Our air conditioner is not working and we have a high of 96 today! !!  Thankfully, our house is extremely well insulated with lots of ceiling and other fans. The interior got to be no more than 83 today. Our brother the landlord is a big do it yourself type but yesterday and today are among his busiest days so he'll be out Saturday. The fan in the outside unit is not working so we're hoping it's an easy fix. Meanwhile I'm glad for fans, that we live in an area with lots of huge established trees and that we aren't the type of folks who typically keep our air at 68 degrees.

Onto a few frugal things and a reader question:

1. I did two test drives this week, got a $65 gift card already and am waiting for a $50 GC from Hyundai. Yea me. These offers were in the mail. This made me think as to whether I wanted to jump on the mystery shopping wagon again, especially since there was one sent to me that was $100 dollars for pretending I wanted to put aging parents in assisted living. The thing is that most of them are 15 bucks or less, often require reimbursable expenses, and literally cram my email box with stuff I won't do. Never mind the fact that I basically need to come up with (or am provided with) basically a lie, which I must present indefinitely.

2.  I've recently discovered online consignment shopping via Thred-Up and Poshmark.  In fact,  when I was perusing Pinterest looking for a mother of the bride dress that doesn't look like a MOB dress (no lace jackets for me, thank you very much), I saw the dress shown below, for a cool sixty dollars. I love consignment stores, and would even shop online, but I'm unfortunately not comfortable ordering a wedding dress that cannot be returned. I may even try to list some  things on this site.  


3. In spite of my foray into Chick-Fil-A and McDonald's my total "entertainment" expenditures for the week were well under 20 bucks.  At happy hour I got a sausage slider and diet coke which came to six dollars with tip, plus the nuggets and ice cream. Very low for me this week. All other entertainment is free (or free after subscriptions and taxes, lol). Library concert and Active Minds talk, the new episode of Trapped on Prime, and a book group where someone else made the goodies,

4  We've mainly eaten from the freezer and fridge for the past week with no shopping forays beyond the regular twice a month adventures. We did have a disaster last night-while  rinsing the pasta the plastic colander feel and half the tuna and past a met the garbage disposal, so we were creative to say the least.

5. Although my "Saved for Later" section of Amazon is filled with art supplies, a reacher and other goodies, I have not spent any money o anything including craft items. Instead I have been knitting and working with stuff I have on hand. My next week's new creativity project is making a small landscape quilt and I will get some things to play with for that.  

6. My  local library (it's a small branch, I usually reserve everything) is having a book sale this weekend. I got four fairly current hardback books for three dollars each. Not free, but cheap at the price. Schedar depending, I'd like to go back tomorrow and peruse the non-fiction especially the hobby type books.

And now for the question: For those of you not on my Facebook page, I am looking for good podcasts to listen to during my work outs. If you are into podcasts, please share your faves. I'm not looking for stuff on current events or politics, and I'm not into comedy. Mainly I'm into education type shows. But feel free to share them all and I will check them out.

Happy Weekend

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good week of bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had an excellent week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My workouts tend to be either my meditative time (when I can quiet my mind) or my creative thinking time (monkey mind gone wild.) But at other times, I've enjoyed TedTalks...I always come away with broader knowledge and understanding. Sometimes I choose by the speaker, sometimes the topic, sometimes at random...I figure there is always something to learn or a new perspective to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is. I was doing one about nutrioton and supplement sactually today, but while the info was interesting, t here were alot of commercials. I learn as I go. My next list is best Utube shows.

      Delete
  4. I just discovered podcasts with an app I downloaded but when I'm on the treadmill I'm reading a book that I e-borrowed from our local library; mindless reading of fiction but it makes the time go by fast.

    You did great with your spending!

    Our air conditioner went out yesterday with a 112 degree day! Thankfully it was late afternoon but the house was 89 before the technician came to fix it (thankfully not a service call fee on top of the repairs).

    I did a little mystery shopping years ago. I did several for rentals of appointments that paid well back then.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a productive and successful budget week. I hope your AC is fixed by today, I find heat exhausting. We don't need AC where we live, it is a temperate climate, thank goodness. I am a big library fan too, and also in a book discussion group where we read books from a Library Book Kit, where the library supplies a bag of the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not. Troubleshooting by landlord, landlady and myself even (we tried to clean the outdoor unit and so on) did not work. We'll call someone tomorrow, but again, this house is well insulated with lots of fans, and since it only got to 82 yesterday instead of the 94 outside, we cannot complain. We generally keep it at 79 or so, so obviously we are not experiencing a hgue difference.

      We also have those kits where I live. I just generally try and get it on my kindle as wel.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for mentioning 'Trapped' on Prime. I binge watched Season 1 yesterday and finished Season 1 today. I expect to watch Season 2 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have fibromyalgia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my fibromyalgia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from fibromyalgia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!