Friday, April 19, 2019

Friday Things-Running On Empty Edition

Thank you everyone for your reasoned responses to my previous post. I am always happy to see that we can, in fact discuss issues without throwing things at the walls and mainly without making absolute and generalized statements.

This morning I was up a little after eight. I managed to get between six and seven hours of sleep-divided up. I slept from about nine forty five until twelve thirty and then from about three fifty am to a little after eight am. I probably could have gone back to bed but I figure a regular day is the best thing for good sleep tonight.

For those who are familiar with such things (mainly Catholics and Episcopalians I suspect) last night was the watch, and I always volunteer for what is generally the worst time, from one to three am.  Before that time you can simply stay up, and after that time, depending on the hour you go to work, you COULD simply get up early and head to the office.  Which would not be so bad, except for the night before I also had a bad night (which I rarely do any more), and I'll be ready to have that Sleepy time tea with Valerian and crash this evening. Such is the life of a restless sleeper

Meanwhile, a few things from this past week:

1.  I changed the yarn I'm making my top with. I will definitely be making something with the purple, but I'm making my little Dallas top now with the multi color yarn. I'm using a size larger needle than the yarn requires, so it may be a teeny bit lacy, requiring nude underneath, but that's okay. I have two or three other tank or almost sleeveless type patterns so that color of purple will certainly get used. 


2. Yesterday before our happy hour, I walked along the reservoir behind the restaurant. I figured I'd experiment with some outdoor walking that was on pavement. I won't be doing that again. My doctor had suggested that flat walking was best,and he was right. The sloping ups and downs were a strain on my knees and lower right leg especially. Never mind the pavement. I got in my six thousand steps, but it was painful and I certainly cannot walk today. In the future the outdoors is for casual enjoyment and exercise will be inside, I'm afraid. 



3. I finally pulled out a few Easter things. The little display holds various hand painted and batik style eggs I've collected over the years, and the little rocks were painted by a friend in my gals group who has a real talent. Decorations keep getting more minimal every year, this year I did not even have an Easter wreath. I suppose I should get at least a chocolate bunny for the adult kid and sister! My Easter bunny mini quilt will just be done by Easter, but since I'm making it for a future gift or to have from year to year, I'm not letting it bother me. Besides, Easter is not over on Easter Sunday by any means!  




4. I was trying to decide on a new TV show to watch next, when today, the new season of Bosch, popped up. That should keep me busy for awhile. I also just started reading the Nevada Barr Anna Pigeon books, a new author for me. I love when I find a new author-but when it's someone prolific who first started in 1993 the cultural differences can be a shock! I'll let you know what I think after I've read a few.

5. I've decided that while I will be more aggressive on the tracking portion (separating food from personal products and so on) for a couple months on the spending side I'm not going to create a budget as such. I have been making some small changes on the food front, as well as in other areas, and will share more about that next week.

6. There is a large possibility that my son will move to Texas post graduation. Nothing is written in stone yet, but he likes the lifestyle and climate better there than in Colorado and really followed me here because of being at loose ends. He would probably start out by living with my daughter and her husband. This really enforces my decision to spend three weeks to a month in Texas at least three times a year, if not more. Something I had been planning but not talked about out loud.  To that end I have been looking at Airbnbs that allow long term rentals, meet ups and social stuff in that location and trips and places to explore. But more about that later.

7. Finally, unlike me, when my sister cooks she generally "cooks". Since she works on the weekends (the joys of working in the landscape business, especially in April, May, and June), yesterday she made a half leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, asparagus and so on. Which makes up for my not cooking and/or throw it in the slow cooker style on occasion.

I've been to Good Friday services. We have piles of leftovers (that lamb, pork chops and deli chicken), so my day is fairly free. Tomorrow is my my nephew's birthday and I need to pick something up along the way. Sunday is Easter and we'll spend that at home I expect. I also may need to pick up that chocolate bunny.

Happy Easter, all!

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, love the new yarn color! And can totally relate to your paved walking issues...I had a knee replacement done in December, and have been slowly increasing my walking at our local activity center the last two months. The indoor tracks are rubberized,and have not caused any problems for my knee. Now that the weather is getting so nice, it's a shame to be stuck inside. I may give the paved walks of a nearby nature center a try soon, but kind of feel why mess with it when things are progressing so nicely! Maybe exercise is for the activity center, and the outdoors is to enjoy more casually as you say. Happy Easter to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought about the rubberization. In my case, inclines cause pain and while this route was lovely the rolling ups and downs were not. I get outside for many other things including in my yard. So yea, exactly, exercise is inside, fun is outside. I am really loving the new yarn.

      Delete
  3. I really like the yarn color you've chosen for your top. I'm going to check the library for the author you've mentioned in your blog as I'm looking for a new author at this time. I started watching the new Bosch series and it's good. I've read all the books too. It sounds like you've got a nice restful Easter Day ahead of you and lots of good food:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I do too and it fit's my "bright" colors. I had meant to link to that author and guess I forgot. I watched most of Bosch in one day, mainly because I could not walk or do anything yesterday, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love those Easter Eggs! So pretty.

    personal items on grocery bills really do add up. I go to a big box store that sells office supplies, pet stuff and clothing so sometimes the receipt is a mile long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have a friend who just orders all of her big things through prime now and I may do that. I have a moderate amount of storage space, and then I dont have to get it. I get office supplies anc clothing from target or walmart on occsional as well. Right now I'm trying to adjust the grocery budget while aknowleging that I will eat out much more in the warm weather!

      Delete
  5. Hi Barb, thanks for the facebook reply. I opened google instead of Safari and I'll comment and see if it goes thru. I loved the Nevada Barr series. Great descriptions of National parks especially if you've been. Another series I loved is the Maxie and Stretch series. She's retired and travels in her Minnie winnie with her dachshund..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see you found me! I will check out that book series.

      Delete
  6. Do you boomers realize how universally hated you are? There is not one single demographic that does not hate you- white people, black people, asians, mexicans, indians, chinese, millennials, GenX, GenZ. Something tells me that you boomers are not going to have a very comfortable or easy retirement, especially once you end up in the retirement homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, here you come again. Perhaps if you were able to have the courage of your convictions and sign your name, I might be able to take you a little more seriously.

      Delete
    2. Got that person's copy-and-paste on my blog too. He/she doesn't want an honest dialogue.

      Delete
  7. The Anna Pigeon books are lovely.

    I had the same spammer post on my Good Friday blog post as well. Deleted him/her, if they can't give me a name they are gone.

    God bless.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI... I saw the same exact anonymous spammer comment on another blog that I follow. I was going to reply to it on the other blog but decided that's what they wanted so I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!