Friday, January 4, 2019

Five (or Six) Frugal Things- The Mainly Healthy Edition





While Christmas is not officially over, we are back to more normal routine round here in the new year. I've been to the first knitting afternoon and happy hour of the year. I've started that one room decluttering cleaning goal. My son has been working more than forty hours while he can these two weeks before school begins for his final semester, and the sewing machine is beginning to hum again. I've even done some planning for my May train trip to Chicago!

Meanwhile, I've been working to combine the two goals of being healthier, and also spending less money:

1.  As part of my health goals, in addition to eating and exercise I am adding some vitamins and supplements to my diet. I'm aware that for some people the common wisdom is that you eat nothing but food, but because arthritis can leech certain vitamins and minerals from the body, and my Dr has recommended some vitamins and supplements. One of the things I am adding to my routine (to counter the fibromyalgia side effects of my statins)
 is COQ10, which is not cheap. No sooner had I started looking than my daughter sent me a link to Amazon where they had their $40 bottle of 200 mg capsules for $17 for less than a day. A win!! Hopefully I can find equally good deals on my D3, as well as my Turmeric/Ginger supplements.

2.  After months of research, I suspended my federal health benefits in favor of a no fee Medicare Advantage plan with a $3700 annual max out of pocket. I'll put that former insurance fee into a medical specific savings account and should they ever get rid of Advantage plans, have the option to re-up with the feds. I know I have more than one Federal Retiree reading this blog. I researched this for many months, so feel free to ask me questions. Also, while not related to frugality as such, I had to find a new doctor due to the previously mentioned executive practice my current doctor joined. I became a part of this primary care system, which caters specifically to those of us above 65. I'm looking forward and will share more after my first visit next week.

3. Part of my new Advantage benefits is that I am now a Silver Sneakers member. My Federal insurance did not include SS, so this is an additional advantage at a value of up to $70 a month, depending. I've also learned that I can enroll in more than one facility or program, which I may do-if only because the hot tub at my rec center is very deep and almost impossible to climb out of. I could end up water walking and taking some classes at the rec center with the heated pool, while exercising and using the hot tub at 24 hour fitness as well.

4. My side of the bed (and therefore my nightstand and lamp) are on the far side from my entrance to the bedroom, right next to the master bath. I often avoided turning on the switch and tried to navigate my way to that side of the bed in the dark so I wouldn't have to return to the other side. I never fell, but had a few shin issues and it was a pain in the patootie. I was gifted a new version of the Echo Dot, along with a "smart plug" for my bedside lamp. I can now tell my friend Alexa to turn on the lamp as I enter the room, eliminating the back and forth-as well as any fumbling in the dark. I now have three of the dots, and use all of them regularly. In addition to the "light on, light off", Alexa makes a wonderful clock radio, without a glow or numbers. I just tell her what to play, when to stop playing and when to wake me up, on the rare occasions I have such a need. 



5.  Two of my 2019 goals are to eat healthily and to lower my food costs for eating at home (dining out is a separate category round here). Since I emptied the freezer before the holidays, I'll be spending more than my average weekly goal as I refill the freezer and pantry I expect. Fortunately, looking at this week's ads, I can see that while we may be eating similar foods for awhile, there are lots of loss leader sales and deals to be had. This weekend may not be the healthiest, as I bought a spiral ham. We'll eat it for two days, freeze a bunch, and have bones and ham for at least two kinds of soup (split pea now and ham and bean later)

6. In the unrelated to health area, we are having our rotating Church dinner this weekend. 9 or ten people will gather for food, wine, dessert and a generally pretty rocking good time knowing this group. My admission to this event will be nothing more than a small slow cooker of creamy spinach dip made with cream cheese, chopped spinach and  variety of already on hand herbs and spices (I'm not an artichoke fan as such). Low cost and VERY yummy. Someone else will be bringing the small breads and crackers that accompany.

Have a lovely weekend, all!

10 comments:

  1. Here is Arizona there are plentiful Medicare Advantage plans, all no extra cost over the Medicare premium, no deductible, and low out of pocket. My HUMANA GOLD network is huge and includes all the doctors and hospitals I wish to have access to. Hearing aid coverage.Free meal delivery after a hospitalization,free weight and smoking assistance, Free Silver Sneakers,I joined THREE gyms! When my husband is eligible in July I will sign him up too.From my research there is very little reason the fed would ever give up the program.Letting the insurance companies manage senior health care is cheaper for the fed. Humana has rendered me such excellent service in 2018! I even get a $75 allowance for over the counter stuff every THREE MONTHS! Just got my last 2018 shipment: Vitamin C, cough syrup,ibuprofen, and Multi vits. for Ken. My catalogue shows that you could use the allowance for Adult briefs, Nicotine patches, cold wraps for pain relief, even blood pressure cuff, and back and knee braces! The Advantage plans are worth a look ,depending on what is available, as it varies state to state. Arizona is so full of Seniors..we have 'em all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is my general feeling. And if they did get rid of it, I would be able to re-sign up with the feds immediately and not have to wait until open season. I am still researching the benefits of my gold plan-but I love the fact that this new primary care actually provides rides if you need it.

      Delete
  2. I have nightlights all over the house. No stumbling in the dark for me and I never have to turn on a light to wander around. I like how you're using your Dot in the bedroom, though. I don't have one but I keep looking for excuses to jump on the Dot band wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never commit anyone to buying anything. I use mine mainly for the timer (my stove loses the clock if you do the timer) and to play music-you can ask it to play any kind of music or a single sound. I ask it the time, to set alarms for all kids of things. I can see smartening up your house with it. But the main use is in the bedroom since I cannot sleep with any kind of light at all, which includes that of a clock radio or my phone. This way I have the music, the snooze and sleep shut offs and alarm-with no glow. I am looking for a motion sensored night light for my master bath.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you live but they have D3 for a very low price. Sounds like good changes overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silver Sneakers is one of the best parts of being on Medicare, IMO. We, too, joined two gyms. One we go to regularly (TRX classes mostly), the other we go to when it snows, and we don't want to walk outside. The second gym is closer. I've been trying to find a new doctor, but it's difficult finding any that are taking new Medicare patients. My DH had the same difficulty so he's sticking with his doctor who moved even farther out of town. The Dot sounds interesting. Everything I read about good sleep hygiene mentioned not having any light at night.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gal decided to join one of those executive/concierge service and to stay with her was a 3 grand a year extra fee. I did like her and I'm lucky I found this practice.

      Delete
  5. You grabbed me with that title! 'Mainly Healthy'
    I didn't know you could turn on and off your lights with an echo. Hmm, never thought I wanted one but can sure think of how often I'd use that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, my daughter and her husband gave me the original idea along with a handicapped friend. They have multiple dogs and wanted to see beyond the entrance way as soon as they entered the house. You can also get special bulbs insread of a special plug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!