Thursday, December 13, 2018

Gone Gray!

This morning I replaced my blog photo. It's not a great photo (I'm really terrible at taking selfies, hence the mouth breather look), and will probably be replaced soon with a better photo, perhaps today even. I just need to get son to take camera in hand. Meanwhile, it's more me these days than my other photo was. That was taken in the middle of summer a couple years ago,  when I was still tanning at will at least on my face (I've tried to cut that down the last few years) and was my reddish brown former color.

You all may remember this ask the reader post, where I discussed the going gray factor, after years of coloring my hair-sometimes as often as every three weeks, since I keep my hair very short by choice (waving to Laura over at the Occasional Nomads). While there's still a slight bit of the brown on top (it may take one or two more hair cuts) the rest of said hair is gray-or really white in my case. A new look for me.

While I like it (we'll see what the offspring say), I do feel a bit paler, and kind of wish I was still going non-sunscreened at least once a day (I have to work on keeping my vitamin D levels up as well, with my severe arthritis). Clothes as such are not an issue most of the time, since my clothing choices naturally tend to be lavender and blue and yellow and pink and yellow green when I can find it at this kind of year. I'm not a black and navy and white kind of gal, so I'm ahead of the game in the sense of keeping soft and a few bright colors around my face-mainly.

I'm still getting used to the new me as I look in the mirror, but am really glad to have at least temporarily gotten rid of the aggravation and effort of a more often than once a month hair color habit. I'll use this holiday to evaluate, see what I think and decide if this is where I will say. Who knows? Maybe I'll keep this and put a streak of blue in once it's all grown out, or maybe I'll return to the old color. But I doubt it.

I'm committed to mainly staying at home today, because I have more than a few Amazon packages arriving (Not paranoid, but why risk anything). Only I just realized that one of the two sweater coats I bought last week is nowhere to be found in this house. So at some point I need to wander over to church, where I'm fairly sure I left the thing, after last week, when I spent every day from Monday to Friday supervising and helping our temporary Family Promise residents

Hopefully it will be just that easy.

11 comments:

  1. Barbara what about spray tanning and taking vitamin D? That has been my choice. My vit D was very low even with me being in the sun. So I began taking 2 a day and my last lab work showed it was right back where it should be. It's made a difference in everything. who knew? oh the doctor :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, need to take vitamin D as well, even though I suck up the milk. dunno about the tanning thing, never thought about it!!

      Delete
  2. Going gray will save a lot of time and money.

    I have to take a lot of vitamin D also. It just doesn't absorb in our bodies like it did when we were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly time, but yes, that monthly box of hair color as well. I am finding that about the vitamin d. YOu would think as much mik and cheese and spinach as I eat..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Vitamin D levels were good when we lived in Hawaii, but now that we're not, and we're back in cold, gloomy weather I should probably go back to a daily dose again. Thanks to everyone for the reminder!

    I may have said this before, when I let my hair go gray I got rid of all my clothes with color in my wardrobe, and stuck to black, white, gray and cream for a year. It was pretty dull, but it helped me adjust to my new hair color, and then gradually add back in what I liked and what looked best. I still keep those basics, but wear red eyewear for a pop of color on my face, and my two favorite additional colors now are blues and spring green (along with deep pink and turquoise in the summer). One happy result as well has been a much simpler and easier-to-maintain wardrobe. Everything gets worn!

    I just had my hair cut SHORT yesterday and I'm so happy! The stylist recommended some shampoos that will brighten the grays (my gray is mostly salt & pepper) - I'm going to give one of them a try when we're done traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new picture! And going gray is become the "in" thing. Some young folks are going with gray - as a color (go figure). Save the money and the time and go with what nature has given you. Feel the POWER, girl!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have wanted to go gray so badly, but I've far too much color still left in my hair. Don't want to bleach it out so I will just have to wait. Love your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've simply been letting it out and going half and half, with a little more gray with eachut. It's a process, lol

      Delete
  7. As my stylist says nothing at all wrong with Arctic blonde.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! Going gray is the best thing I ever did. I don't worry about all the advice regarding the color of clothes and/or makeup. Just go with what you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm a big fan of the colors thing and I am mainly a spring with some fall. That advice actually works well for me. So I hope it will continue to work well with the gray.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!