Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Ordering Glasses Online-My Review Of Zenni Optical (Part 1)

Many of you may remember that back at the end of June I had my eyes dilated and got a new prescription-something that I had waited two years to do instead of one, lazy gal that I am. While the prescription adjustment was not terrible, my distance had gotten better and my up close eyesight (the reading part) had gotten worse. So I needed new glasses,  but my eyes were not so bad that I could not use the ones I had (scratches aside).

Which is a good thing, because even with discounts from places like Costco and the like, for a pair of regular glasses and a pair of sunglasses ( A necessity in Colorado), I was looking at a minimum of eight hundred dollars and more like a good thousand for two basic pairs. Ouch, ouch and more ouch. 


An idea of the options on the opening screen

Since I was not in immediate need, I decided to research online glasses. I shared my plan on this blogpost,  posted on my local Next Door (where I got a piles of mostly positive reviews) and then decided to do my due diligence online via reviews and the like. After almost two months of research (and being in no rush) I decided to try Zenni for my glasses. They were among the cheapest and I had excellent reviews. 

Photos of my glasses as they appeared on Zenni.com



Now, I had my eyes checked at Pearl Eye Vision, where they had absolutely no problem with giving me my prescription and measuring my pupils as well. My understanding is that any optician is required by law to give you your own prescription. As far as the pupillary distance, you can easily measure it yourself or stop by any "eyeglass shop" to have it done. The third thing I needed were the measurements of my current glasses, which in my case were on the inside near the temple, and after the style and model number.

Armed with this information, I headed to Zenni to begin my search.  They guide you through the process, and it was fairly simple. I chose what kind of glasses (no line progressives) first. Then I entered some measurements-the bridge, the length of the sides and the height of the lenses (which is more subjective). In general, the guidelines I read said that you had about a two mm differental allowance when looking at glasses and the glasses that pulled up for me were generally in that range. I also had to enter the width of my glasses, the one place I measured myself. In this part of the process I could have specified shape (cat, round, rectangle and so on) as well as materials and even color and metallics.  I opted not to do that and just see what the glasses shown would be. 

This photo and the photo below show the color variation in the glasses better


My results pulled up about three pages of glasses, and I explored at length. Zenni.com also gave me the option of uploading a photo and "trying on" various glasses to compare. Eventually, I decided to go away from my tortoise shell-y colored glasses and go with a darker blue-a change for me, but I also knew I was probably going gray and that might be a good contrast. The lenses were slightly bigger than my old glasses. I also took a risk, and decided to go with glasses that were a couple mm smaller than my old ones, as my old ones were falling off every time I bent over. 






At this point in the process I entered my prescription-an easy matter, even with my progressives and the pupillary distance and began choosing my lenses. There were many options and I wont go into it here, except to say I chose the best of the "recommended" lenses that were Photocromic (changing) and gray. An experiment in darkness, as my current sunglasses are amber. I also chose a basic anti reflective coating, not bothering with a "blue blocker" because I have a blue shade on all of my devices that I can adjust for day or night. Finally, I did not choose sunglasses because at this point we were at the experimental stage. I did choose clip-ons to go with the glasses, being prepared to order prescription sunglasses depending on my satisfaction level (a screen print of my receipt is below).



I ordered my glasses on 9 October and decided simple priority would be fine. My glasses arrived yesterday, and I unpacked and put them on immediately. My prescription is not greatly different and so far I have not felt any adjustment issues. Said glasses were tight on the temples, but I did some bending with online instruction, and for the price I paid for these I have no problem whatsoever paying twenty five bucks for "professional alteration" if these do not loosen up a bit here.

While I'll wait to take an "on my face" picture until later in the day, the glasses are pretty darn close to the up close and personal picture that appeared in Zenni. They are extremely comfortable aside from the temples which I will adjust as needed, and I like the fact that the lenses are a bit bigger. While they are still considered the cat eye style, they give greater coverage, which I think I like.

I have not walked out side to see how well and how much the glasses will change (I know they don't change in the car, hence my clip ons until I get sunglasses). I've obviously only worn these a day, and will need more wear and tear to see how the glasses handle and how they loosen up on their own. The frames themselves seem as well made as any Pearl Vision frame and the fact that there are no initials on the side of my glasses bothers me not a whit.

After 24 hours, my Zenni review, without going outside is an A-both on the cost and on the performance side. My glasses, including shipping, were $120.00. I could, at this price, get a backup pair in a different color, sunglasses, and still not have spent as much money for a single pair as I probably would have even at Costco.

As I said, I will post a couple other reviews as we progress, but at this point I honestly do not see what's not to like about online glasses!

30 comments:

  1. What an interesting post this and your other online eyeglasss posts have been! I love those frames! Can't bet the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I have had scratches on glasses before and took them to an eyeglass place to get them removed. It's cost less than a couple of cups of Starbucks coffee.

      Delete
    2. I pan to do the scratch fix thing for my old glasses as I want them as a backup set, but I needed the new prescription no question!

      Delete
    3. You really cannot. I went outside and even in the clouds they did change. Im not sure it works in the tinted car (hence the clip ons and eventually sun glasses gut in general I am thrilled.

      Delete
  2. I've also had GREAT success with Zenni.Got 2 pair of bifocals this year. I don't in general do well with progressives. Each pair was approx 36 dollars for great frames and the bifocal which helps me drive and be able to see close up. Took a bit of work to measure the height width etc. but once I did, and now have glasses that work ,I can order "spare pair" anytime.Last year my bifocal were about $175 at Costco and I like the ZENNI glasses better! I helped two friends so far with measurements and my friend just got a pair of prescript sunglasses for 7 dollars!!!!!!! In addition to her progressives which ran about 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, bifocals are really cheaper than progressives! I was happy with the measurements overall.

      Delete
  3. An awesome experience in purchasing glasses on line. They look great and the price was definitely great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your review of Zenni. I too wear progressives and I plan to order my next pair of glasses from Zenni but first I need to get my eyes checked as I think I need a new prescription. I like that Zenni has so many different colored frames and the prices are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just say, measure, measure measure again and try out......and do realize that alhtough I chose Zenni, they are not the only player in the game.

      Delete
  5. WOW, good to know. I need another pair of glasses (2 rx's) and I have been waiting so I don't need to spend $1000. Thank you Thank you Thank you. I will be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told sue, just measure, check out, and dont be afraid to try other companies like glasses.com as well if you feel more comfortable.

      Delete
  6. I love Zenni Optical! I've had two pairs of glasses (one for the car and a back-up pair) as well as a pair of sunglasses, for several years, since my prescription hasn't changed. All three pairs, with single-vision lenses, cost me less than $100, combined. They're inexpensive, but they look fine. As long as they're in business, I'm their customer. Jean in MD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your very thorough review. My daughter always purchases her glasses online but I've been a little hesitant. I'm due for an eye exam that I've been putting off and need to replace my current scratched glasses so this was very timely for me. My insurance paid for eye exams in the past as the result of a serious eye injury. I was hit in the eye by a pinata bat but that's another story. I'm not sure if Medicare will cover them. I love the frames and if you decide to go gray they will be perfect. I'm definitely going to check out Zenni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you. Do also know, as Jean mentions above that scratched glasses can be evened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, thanks for reminding me of that. I need to do that for sure.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this review. Do you have any tips on buying eyeglasses from online store? or on optical shop? I am going to buy one and this is my first time doing so. I don't want to make a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing Blog. I really like your eyewear glasses because "Zenni" brand glasses are soo comfortable to wear & secure our eyes properly. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep up to the good work

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you. Lasik Eye Surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points! https://www.surgeongate.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you want to buy womens flat top sunglasses at affordable rates, then ShadyVEU is one of the best choices you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a lot of information regarding blogs i need some time do all that.

    Buy eyeglasses frames online

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. Thanks for showing your best Zenni Optical Sunglasses. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dear,

    I like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Buy Optical Glasses, Sunglasses And Reading Glasses In China at yteyewear.com. We have a huge collection of optical glasses, sunglasses and reading glasses for men & women

    Visit Here - https://www.yteyewear.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are offering a new range of verity of glasses and sunglasses. For best online glasses take a look at our collections.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its very hard to find best glasses for childrens. There a lot of things to consider when buying Childrens Glasses Online. But don't worry, at Childrens Glasses you can buy perfect glasses for your kids easily.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you want to order cheap prescription glasses online? Do you want to save big on your glasses? We make it easy and simple to do that at ILoveGlasses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is fine, nonetheless evaluate the information and facts around this correct. gafas de sol de madera de bambu

    ReplyDelete
  21. Buy eyeglasses and frames online at cheap price. Order your fashion and prescription glasses for men, women and kids from Express Glasses and get 50% off on second pair.

    best online prescription glasses
    best online glasses store
    fast eyeglasses online
    prescription glasses online
    cheap prescription sunglasses

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!