Monday, September 10, 2018

Monday Morning-Forgetting my Limitations

This morning I am barely able to get out of bed. I hurt every where, and tossed and turned all night.  It is my own fault, there is no one else to blame.

I have always said that even with chronic pain and health issues, I was not going to limit myself. I baby myself on the bad days, and do what I can and more on the good days. I don't exercise except in place or in the water, but I'm willing to walk and extend myself when I go sightseeing or to festivals with friends. There is, however, one thing that I simply cannot do any longer, With a huge period. And that, my friends is stairs (other than an occasional one or two step entryway situation at someones home). Stairs do not increase strength or agility for those of us with arthritis, and in fact they are a detriment. My doctor has been telling me for years to ignore stairs except for the type above, and I usually listen. I am after all the kind of gal who will go out of her way to take the handicapped ramp.

Yesterday, however, I went off the rails and in a big way. Today I am paying for it, and I expect to pay for multiple days.  You see, on Saturday my sister in law called me and said that she had been given four front row, on the ground seats to see the Rockies play the Dodgers. The Rockies are in first place, it was supposed to be a beautiful day, we were going to brunch, I don't see my brother and sister in law as often as I would like, and so I said "sure".


So many restaurants and stores, along with the renovated architecture!

On Sunday morning, off we went. A quick ride to the light rail, where they have a ramp or I can be assisted with two steps. Then an easy ride downtown, where I walked on mainly flat ground along the streets, through our beautifully renovated Union station and out to a restaurant near the ballpark where we had brunch. I had blue corn and blueberry pancakes with pine nuts (along with sausage) and brother and sister in law had Chorizo Benedict and regular Eggs Benedict respectively, both on top of friend Navajo flat bread. Very yummy!

Then we headed out to the park, joining the street crowds, waiting to go through the security line and walking down the promenade of our beautiful stadium. Until it was time to go to our seats. The problem with sitting on the ground level? Forty steep steps. Forty of them. All with no handle or railing. And that was just the going down part. There are no ramps and no elevators. I admitted to myself that there was no way I was going back up until the game was over, vowed only to drink enough to stay hydrated (it was a day of full sun, almost ninety degrees), slathered on the sunscreen and settled in to enjoy myself. Which I did, in spite of the fact our team lost the game. 

It was much sunnier, butt we were in the section on the middle of the right, first row. Lots of foul ball ducking!!

And then, my friends it was time to climb back out and up. Up those forty steps. With assistance, which I hate to ask for, and more energy than I had. After that, a leisurely walk back to the light rail, a quick ride, and home to my car. At which point I was already moving, very, very slowly. I also grabbed three KFC dinner meals, recognizing how bad things were going to get.

This morning? Obviously I will get out of bed. But I'm moving at half speed, even for me. I ache and have serious pain in places where I shouldn't, including my back. We are not talking the normal post workout/extend yourself type pain. I know what that looks like (and feels like). I have a couple errand to do (how did I end up with not enough regular length pants to get through the week without laundry?) and the limited stretching is probably good for me. Tonight is my night to help with the diner at the shelter and I am going to crap out and drop off food rather than participate, such is my pain. Other than that, lots of sitting, relaxing, at least one hot shower and lots of doing nothing.

And those hand prints from grabbing the wall? No kid to blame them on here. All me. All me.

From now on, I'll do a better of of listening to my body, taking care of myself, and yes, saying no. Even when it involves family, and even when I would rather not.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry you are feeling like this. I'm sure the seats have a lot to do with it as well. I know here in New York those seats at the stadium are pretty hard on the back. I tend to overdue myself, but am now making a conscious effort to listen to my body. So what if I don't do every dance in line dance? At least I did some and I do have my friends to talk to. I even gave up my Monday qigong as much as I love it because the instructor is tough and it's too much on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hated to say no because this was a chance at a family thing and I did not quite realize how difficult it would be. The first concourse, and the handicapped seats, are up at that first level above the lower seats. So they do have lots of handicapped accessibility, Just not where my family was. I am steping back from more than a few things in the coming weeks, not all for pain reasons, but some are.

      Delete
  2. I will never understand why stadiums, concert halls and the alike don't have handrails on their steep stairs! I've had to give up going to places like that. Surely, handrails would makes dollar sense to large venues!

    Hope you recuperate soon. Sounds like you've got a good plan for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, comfy those seats were not. I think on the next invite, I will have to say no and that we will get together another way.

      Delete
  3. I completely understand the pain. After my compression fracture in T 10 I was very limited for a long time. Even now, after many years, I still feel the stress in my back if I overdue it.
    Rest up.Taking it easy is probably the best solution. Although the water therapy may help some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did a couple very brief errands and sat out on the swing and drank a glass of water and took my pills. now I am moving at my own speed the rest of the day.

      Delete
  4. What a day of pain you are having, from climbing those steep steps. I would have guessed wrongly that front row seats would not have had steps like that. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe they don't have elevators or escalators!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, in every other section they do. the have both, and handicpped seats are in the front row or guaranteed line of sight. The problem is that I was sitting immediately in front of the ball barrier. To have an elevator for those bottom rows (thirty or whatever they are) they would need to let us walk out onto the clay and then through the gates. Unlike in football, there is literally no space between those first couple of rows and that clay, and it would be unsafe to allow folks to walk on it during play, of course. I ducked more than once when the foul balls came my way.

      Delete
  6. My goodness. I don't think I would be aware that ground level seats have such steep steps and no handrails to help get to them. I'm sorry you are in such pain. I could not do 40 steep steps, either especially without hand rails. Today I had a slightly lesser headache. I had to walk 3 bus stops away unexpectedly to get to the dentist. As I was already a bit too late for starting out this was a very unpleasant surprise to find out in the rain! I had to walk run and it really did me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, all those stairs with no hand rail! Yikes. Before my knee replacements, (both knees) I would not have been able to navigate all that walking, nevermind the stairs. I totally understand your pain. It sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I theory I could have grabbed the back of each seat as I walked up the stairs, but that seems just a teeny bit intrusive, to me, olol.

      Delete
  8. I have to have handrails to pull myself up. I can do steps more easily than stairs. Overdoing it puts me down for days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!