Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Left Arm, Right Arm...

You may notice some new blogs on the sidebar. A few of them are outside of the retirement/boomer wheelhouse. I have included at least one natural healing blog, a craft blog or two and even a slow cooking blog. Feel free to scan right by those if you like, but since the title is blogs I'm reading now.........

Yesterday, I had planned to remain home all day. Tuesday is generally a quiet day around here and I usually just leave the house to exercise (by walking the mall and hitting Panera with friends, or aiming for the pool or silver sneakers. Both son and sister leave the house early and don't return until six thirty or so, so it's time for me to be alone and play with the dogs.

I was prepared to not leave the house at all. I was due to receive my new phone, the email I got promised only that it would be there before 8PM and so I was settled in. Hamburgers were thawing in the refrigerator, and I had a knitting and reading plan. Said phone arrived around eleven thirty or so. I spent the next hour sitting and downloading apps, updating and doing on the stuff to bring said phone back to where I wanted to be.

And then said plan few out the window, as often happens around here. My breakfast had been very non/breakfasty, and I am a girl who loves her breakfast food. On a whim, I decided to take myself, my journal and book to Village Inn. Where I had a waffle, a sunny side up egg, and sausage and juice. For lunch. At one pm. While I listened to a group of women play bridge, at a table behind me. At the Village Inn.

Sated, and knowing that I would be eating the evening's burgers without buns, I headed to King Soopers (Kroger to the rest of the world) to grab some eggs and a couple other things. With three people who eat eggs from every morning to every third morning depending, we go through some eggs. 

Seeing that the store was mainly empty, I walked over to the pharmacy counter, and said "I need to do either the flu thing or the pneumonia thing today, do you have any suggestions as to which I should do first?". Said pharmacist smiled at me and said, "Oh, you can do both at the same time". Now, while I don't love needles, I also don't generally have a reaction to vaccines, so after a moment I thought sure, why not. Let's get it all over at once.

Unfortunately the preparation took a little time. The young clerk tried to get me approved about ten times and then called me from my shopping. Seems that those of us with original Medicare (meaning it's our primary) are few and far between. She had been trying my other insurance the entire time. A quick explanation had her looking confused, but contacting medicare-with the end result that in about five seconds both shots were approved. And they were finished before I knew there was a needle.

Today? I'm a tad bit sore and will probably have limited knitting time. But I've got a couple of those pesky it's your birthday month health tests/vaccines/issues out of the way. Still no  mammogram appointment though! And I need to take one of those at home colon tests. And while I realize that I have really good health insurance, I also need to say, thank you Medicare!  I got my pelvic MRI bill in the mail, and my fee is a whole sixty bucks. I'll take that,  and free vaccines, thank you very much. This was the first year I got the "senior" shot by the way.

The waffle was a spurge-both in the caloric and financial sense. Especially since today is my  one day of the week (normally) day to grab either tea or hot chocolate (to soon for that) and a lemon pound cake slice on my way to knitting with the gals, and may hit happy hour afterward. But sometimes, you know what, you just gotta do it.

As Scarlett would say, tomorrow is a another day!

9 comments:

  1. I've seen seeing flu shots signs up every where, too. Hate the thought of getting them but I hate the idea of getting the flu worse, so I do it.

    Wow, I can't believe people would have the guts to play card game at a restaurant. I could never do that. But breakfast food for lunch or dinner, yes, please!

    I haven't seen a Kroger store in years. I didn't know the chain was still in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, Kroger is everywhere. I thought the bridge thing was weird as well.

      Delete
  2. I got my flu shot today too. Nice to be able to have the pharmacist do it rather than having to see a doctor. You breakfast for lunch sounds delicious by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get the one Pneumonia shot or the two-shot one? You can get all three. Yesterday, a pharmacist spoke and said it was okay. I have had all three. I got my flu shot this past week or so. Last year, the formulation was not for the vaccine I got and I got the flu. I go to WM to get mine--so much easier and faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two shot pneumonia shot is one now and a booster a year from now. I had the first shot. I'll have the second in a year. So I am done except the repeat shingles.

      Delete
  4. I like the new blogs you're sharing.. I don't read many "retirement" blogs much anymore.. as I've settled into this phase of life, it doesn't feel like a special deal anymore except that i love BEING retired. I'm still who i always was! And I enjoy reading about LIFE.. art, music,travels, literature and yes, politics! Hope your arm is better soon. Have never taken a flu shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and will probably be adding more non retirement blogs. The two times in the last twelve years I have missed the shot, I have been crawling on the floor crying for my mommy ill. Every shot year? Not a thing. I'm sold.

      Delete
  5. I like to wait until Oct. for my flu shot. Our local hospital has offered them as a drive-thru in one of their parking lots. I really liked that -- just stick my arm out the window. Last year they didn't do it so maybe they've permanently discontinued the service, so will likely just let my Dr. administer the shot. So many places to get them now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!