Monday, September 3, 2018

Happy Labor Day..........Some Things That Are Making Me Happy

Here we are at Labor Day!  In Denver, we have partially cloudy mid seventy skies (unfortunately much of the cloud/haze is from fires to the north, so windows are closed). Tomorrow it heads back to the sunny eighties!

Meanwhile, things making me happy (and one not so happy thing)!

1.  The fact that I am sitting at home, chilling, knitting and reading. Not that I would object to a barbecue as such, and son may end up grilling lamb steaks. But in retirement I no longer feel the need to take advantage of every single three day weekend and holiday. In fact, unless family togetherness demands it, I avoid entertaining on extended holidays along with travel. Today my son had one of his rare full days off and we actually spent it doing some organizing and TV binge-ing. Works for me.

2. In the area of un-happiness, my phone fell out of my hand, face down onto the pavement in the parking lot at the grocery store. No screen cover could save it on this occasion (I don't use a case). The poor screen is so shattered that I cannot use it even underneath a screen cover.  The happy news, however, is that that monthly smart phone insurance I pay is well worth it, as I am getting a brand new Samsung S9+ tomorrow via FedEx for less than $100. 




3.  I FINALLY went to the monthly Saturday lunch outing with the women of my new church-and had a wonderful time. While I miss the church I went to in some ways, and will still travel there on occasion there is SO MUCH to be said for a neighborhood church. I mean, whether it's Sunday morning, mid week or late night volunteering (This church serves as an overnight host for the homeless four times a year), said church is literally three minutes driving from my house!! 

4. I'm moving mainly to smaller projects on the quilting type front and finding it is making me so much happier. I'll finish the large quilt tops I have done, and occasionally make a gift of a quilt, but it seems my interests have moved to smaller projects (bags, table runners, napkins, pillow covers). I dunno, perhaps my attention span has slowed down? I know my attention has wandered as I pick up new hobbies, and much prefer more immediate results in many things. Whatever the reason, my happiness quotient is up in this area.





5. I was thrilled to find this yarn. It is called a "shawl in a cake" and has enough yarn (for less than ten dollars) to make a full sized shawl. Pictures cannot do this yarn justice,  even with an extreme close-up. I now have two shawls going. I suspect one of the reason I am moving to smaller sewing projects as well as sketching and knitting is portability. I can work on this stuff in the garden, in front of the TV, on the road, even at church. I do love quilting but it really holds me to a single place, ya know?

Happy Day, be you traveling, grilling, or just sitting in the back yard or in front of the TV!

8 comments:

  1. Same here for Labor Day: 3 day weekends don't mean much when you're retired! We avoid going anywhere on these busy weekends! We have a campsite rented soon on weekdays, in Sedona: Kids in school,tourists mostly gone, will be much more relaxing. I hear you on the local church.There is only ONE Unitarian Universalist church in the East Valley and it is 15 miles away--they have SO MANY activities,book clubs,etc. and volunteer activities I'd like to do, but I don't want to drive much at night and it sucks up gas for sure.WIsh I had a church in the neighborhood. I love my "peeps" there too..so I just enjoy it the best I can.

    We're having a "chillin' weekend at home too: swimming, napping,My husband baked some bread.Movies on TV tonight.Simple life=good! Yesterday our son came over for an Italian dinner, tomorrow is card games..so today's a nice respite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was about 12 miles away, and took me over half an hour. The local church has a new minister and is growing and adding programs and so on so I figure I will try and grow with it.

      Delete
  2. That yarn is wonderful. I found it at the Lion website and you got the best color, too. Can't wait to see your finished shawl.

    Your phone sure is a mess. Can you believe it, I've never dropped on...knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have some that's kind of rainbow-ish. The more I knit this up, the more I like it.

      Delete
  3. Love the yarn! Sorry about the phone :(
    We binge watched Jack Ryan on Netflix. Awwww!
    The weather was cool most of the weekend, but we are back to sweltering in the East today. Excited for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I watched the whole thing in a weekend!!

      Delete
  4. Ouch about your phone but good you are getting a replacement easily. We usually don't travel on the major holiday weekends but did head to N. Cal to spend this Labor Day one with our son and his family. Four full days with a 21 month old who is an active bundle of joy right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!