Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sunday Retirement Musings

I can't even say I overslept this morning. I was awake all right, but getting out of bed and dressed for church was another thing entirely. Fortunately a church down the road has a Tuesday morning service I can make allowing me to get communion-albeit still not on Sunday.......I was wimping out because it's a 50 degree day in the midst of eight degree ones and didn't want to go out in the "cold". Yep, that's me!  



I read somewhere that putting a penny in a vase was good for flowers.  While I'm generally not an expert on flowers, it's been one week since Mother's Day, and here are my tulips, still standing upright.  


Also healthy and standing upright are my fairy garden plants, growing so quickly they may need to be trimmed back. I've removed all the Easter stuff and am getting ready to give her a patriotic theme. I always figure that if I put up Americana decor now I can leave it til at least the second week in July.  My plan is to paint a  miniature light house and then make paper and fabric decorations.

Changing the topic a bit, am I the only one who finds that oatmeal is simply not as filling as other stuff that's  breakfast food? I mean, I use Great Grains that has flax seed and such, have berries and such on top and I still need a mid morning snack sooner rather than later. I alternate oatmeal with eggs and sausage, whole grain waffles and the occasional bagel and lox. And no, yogurt will not work for me. Eww!

Often when I find a new blog or web page, I tend to go down the rabbit hole. I start reading backwards and just keep on going. This week I've been exploring Judith's blog, and Donna's blog. Please check them out and I'll be putting them on the ole sidebar soon. I also found a creative blog, and have already bookmarked way too many projects. If I ever get to a third of, the recipes/projects/places to go/things to do it will be a shocker. But then again, that's the challenge of it all, ya know?  
Purple yarn donation that I'm turning into a scarf for the meals on wheels people. Surely one of their clients will enjoy purple next fall ?


Now, since this weekend has given me a couple "cool" days, I'm gonna use the oven instead of the slow cooker and make a cross rib roast. With redskin mashed potatoes. The kind of cooking that doesn't happen all that often round here. At least when I'm doing the cooking!

10 comments:

  1. Barb, do you do Craftsy classes online? How do you like it? I have a chance to do 2 weeks for $1.00 but want to know how expensive it is before I try it and like it!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love it at the moment. I have about 20 classes saved. They often have a 30 day trial. Admittedly they are 15 bucks which is higher than most of my other suscriptins but right now I'm generally watching a class a day.

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty shade of purple, someone will enjoy it. Your miniature garden is cute, I don't have one but like your idea of changing the theme for different seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if nothing else there will be a couple red hat types who appreciate the purple. I am not the gardener in the family, so this is the one green thing that's mine.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I got quite the surprise this morning. I went in to check my blog and had 75 hits. I thought to myself, "Oh no, I've been spammed." It wasn't that at all. It was you. Thank you so much for the kudos. My blog is brand new and I haven't worked everything out yet but I am determined to make this one work. Thank you Barb.

    It's still quite cool here in north-eastern Ontario so I've put on a crock pot chicken with fresh ginger, garlic and lemon. Something to warm the body.

    Have a great day. By the way I love your tulips. I think I'll go out and cut some of the daffodils in the garden for the supper table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! I agree about oatmeal -- I'm starving a couple of hours later, but it's still great for your cholesterol. Topping it with walnuts makes it more filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, it gives me that cholesterol and fiber, so i keep it up a few times a week. Toda, honestly, it was whole grain waffles and maple syrup with oj.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fairy garden and the purple yarn. Greek yogurt, which has more protein, is usually pretty filling. I do best with fewer carbs, moderate protein and higher fat. Really satiating.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barb! Oh I hope you've gotten to catch up on some sleep. I am thankful every day that I mostly manage to sleep well each night. And I haven't heard of the penny thing keeping flowers around longer. You'll have to give us all a longer review of your tulips. And no oatmeal or grains for me for breakfast. I've been doing fruit and vegetable smoothies for nearly 3 years and I'm addicted. :-) I don't miss the other stuff at all. I hope your week is off to a decent start. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, new crafty blog, must check out. I will check out the others as well.

    We have been very hot for this time of year here the last few days. Farmers and gardeners are praying for rain. It is extremely dry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!