Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Substitutions, Substitutions..........And Dogs!

As expected when other people are ill in your home, the germs come to visit you. Darn it! My current state is nothing like what it was during my month of cold that is not the flu, but I definitely have a slight cough and sniffles. And it's surely not helpful when the weather changes from 30 to 70 and back, never mind losing an hour.

Of course, yesterday was also my big every two week errand day, which uses up lots of my energy. A visit to Target, the office store and the grocery store probably netted me close to ten thousand steps for the day!

Meanwhile, I had a super frugal win (or two) which raised my spirits a bit.  The dress I shared previously was around a hundred dollars. Not terrible, especially after I spent Monday roaming the mall and looking at stores and boutiques-where the only thing I found  I liked nearly as much was almost one hundred dollars more or very glitzy-the kind of thing I might never wear again. Yea, this is an evening wedding, but I want something I can wear in the future. I'm not into single wear clothing, no matter how glamorous or sexy.

I used my lazy down time to do some online searching. Something along the lines of "fancy maxi dress", or "chiffon maxi dress" and then putting the title of each search-Macy's, Dillard's Nordstrom Rack and the like. When what to my wondering eyes should appear (at Penny's of all places), was the same dress. For less than 40 dollars. At Penny's. Where I could get it delivered to the store. It may have a different brand name and price, but daughter, sister and everyone else I know agree-same dress. The Nordstrom photos are better and more sexy, but same dress. Absolutely. Call it a win. Great, because my idea of frugality is mainly finding cheaper ways to get or do rather than giving up. 





Which leads me to my decision to get Movie Pass. One as a gift for my son, and one for me. After reading multiple reviews on various blogs, including this one, I realized this deal is as good as it looks. If you haven't checked it out, a Movie Pass membership let's you see as many in theater movies you want, one a day,  for an average of ten bucks a month (right now they have a special for 8 dollars). Yes, I'm sure eventually they'll change the dollar amount, and yes, I expect this is a bigger deal for us suburban types than those who live more rural. The map below shows all the theaters available to me. I live about a half an inch above the word Littleton, and the one on the far left is about  fifteen minute drive from me so all are close. Move Pass is owned by Netflix, and if you ask me, the reason the theaters tolerate it is because they don't money on movies (something those who say movies are so expensive should always consider-movie theaters make money from food not from movies. Think loss leader if you will, except for the hugest blockbusters of the year). 



And yea, even with Movie Pass the folks in this abode will still be getting food. So free movies? Nope. Really cheap movies? Pretty much. Which is great for those of who keep lists of movies coming out along with books to read and TV shows to watch. Let me tell you. 

When it's cold and rainy (see towel for drying off) and you make your nest infront of the heater vent!


My son may never get his T-shirt quilt back. Blue chair, quilt, pillow and direct eyeline to the front walk. I think he's happy!

I'm really behind on that daily photo challenge by the way. I need to pt it at the top of the daily list. Today's word was breakfast, and it'll be waiting till tomorrow, because I ate breakfast while half awake this morning. Or maybe, since we are going to the Village Inn tonight for free Pie (and Pi) day, I'll have breakfast for dinner and get that. On Sunday, my word was contentment. While I am not sure this is what they meant, it is what it is. Because dogs, my friends. How can I resist dogs.

And now I'm off for some Easter card/letter decor. A story for another day unless you've read my Facebook post.

18 comments:

  1. Love that dress! And getting cheater makes it all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just happened to look there, ya know! So, serendipity

      Delete
  2. I was not aware of movie pass. I may need to look into this.
    These dogs look very comfy and happy. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dogs are spoiled rotten to the ever lovin core! YOu do have to pay the annual in advance, or one hundred dollars. but it's not like I'll stop watching movies

      Delete
  3. Definitely the same dress - and when you intend to only wear it once why pay more! You love movies, the movie pass does make a lot of sense. They don't have that in Canada unfortunately but we do make good use of our netflix subscription

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I may wear it again cause I am a dress girl, but still. Kinda like generic clothing or something, ya?

      Delete
  4. Love the dress and it will be very versatile and it pays to shop around! Online shopping sure makes it easy to see who has the best deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am blessed to pretty much know my size with a few designers, plus I always order somewhere that has in store returns.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you my dear. I hope yo are feeling better these days.

      Delete
  6. I will have to check out Movie Pass. This is the first I have heard of it. Great deal on the dress. It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pup ensconced by the heating vent looks like my Flori, the mystery mix. Do you know the little guys/gal’s breed(s)? We’ve been trying to figure Flori out . . . She was a rescue and I’ve no clues, except Chihuahua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosalyn, we do not know here breed for the second half, she is also a rescue, found wandering the street terrified on July 4th a few years ago (once we found the family, they wanted us to keep her, long story). We also have no idea other than the chihuahua part.

      Delete
  8. SAME DRESS!!!!! Great find!! Checked out the Movie Pass in my area and hardly any theaters take it. Boo hoo. I don't go often,though. But would have purchased. Don't forget us here in Gilbert if you end up taking a rip through Az. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the fiber content is the same, it is the same dress. I like that dress and that price. We don't run in the same circles, so would you say where you found it at that price? Thanks. I wish I had a heat vent to lie in front of when it is cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Li fa. I think it says in the blog, but I found it at JC Penneys online and had it shipped to the store.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely same dress, good job! It's lovely, and I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

    Rr: Movie Pass - it was a big topic of discussion at a film festival we attended in January, as several folk we chatted with had one and were using it regularly. If you regularly attend movies it sounds like a terrific deal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!