Wednesday, February 24, 2021

My March Challenge-Sustainability

Just a quick note: As I write this on Wednesday it's before I'm scheduled to head out for shot number two (virtual jumping up and down here)! I don't anticipate any major side effects but if I'm slow responding, especially tomorrow,  bear with me my friends. Update: back, poked, changed into jammies for the night and picked up Panera on the way.  I'll let ya know how I feel in the morning.

One of the things on my "want to do better" list has to do with upcycling, sustainability, recycling and in general being less wasteful and disposable in my life. With things and with money, truth be told.

My intentions are good. After all, I wrote this blog last year. 

Unfortunately, right after that was written came the pandemic lockdown. All the good places in need weren't accepting donations (even goodwill) and stuff got donated and even dumped. Usually the queen of thrift shopping and re-using, I was not (and still am not going) going into thrift stores. Which hurts by the way, because they are my jam. I had the food waste down for three, then went to live by myself and whoops, here we are again. I've done poorly in the disposable area especially since I'm now using sanitize wipes for everything from groceries to Amazon packages (yes, I know, but I still haven't gotten to that place). And since EVERYTHING is now being delivered, oh the cardboard.

Oh and then I drove cross country and disposed of more packing than I can count. Yes, not my best year in the recycling area-or in the money area for the same reason. Moving cross country is a mess. And last but not least, I moved to a community with valet trash but no recycle options except for large bins far away, when have led me to (much as I hate to say it) throw out some items that should have been recycled.

In the interest of not being too much of a Covid schlump, I've decided to follow Juhli and assign each month a specific area. Mind you hers or much more organization than mine so far (more on that later). For March then, my goal is small  sustainability changes, especially those that help my bottom line a tad.

What I want to do this month is to figure out how many things I can make (or buy) that will substitute for things I buy and throw away now. And hopefully, make (and  buy) at least some of them.

So far my list includes: more cloth napkins large and small, hankies to replace Kleenex, dish towels to replace paper towels and dish cloths to replace sponges when possible, cloth wipes, makeup remover pads to replace cotton balls, tote bags and produce bags, and re-usable plastic zip bags instead of all the ziploc freezer store bags I use in an effort not to waste food.

I would be lying if I did not at least admit that part of this month's goal may well include buying the fabric and yarn to make such substitutes and add to my stash. I am after all a quilter and knitter at heart and we add to our stash the way preppers add to their pantries. But there is a budget and I figure every time I don't have to buy any of the above (either to save money or to save effort) it's worth it to me, and something I don't have to recycle or throw out.

I will take pictures as I go, and if I'm successful here, I have a vision of selling some of these and other things  like cloth baby wipes and washcloths. I've been told by those in the in the know they are in high demand.

And yes, they will all, from dish cloths to napkins, be pretty. And match the house decor. Or my clothes. Or whatever. And be fun as well.

I'll never be a  zero waste person and I'll never be perfect in the sustainability department (if only because I want to eat the beef and the lamb and the chicken and the pork and the seafood) but if I can do a little bit better, I'll be happy.







13 comments:

  1. Great list and thanks for the shout out. I’m curious about the hankies. Have you found a source or are you going to make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make them in a bunch of different fabrics and see which ones I like the most

      Delete
  2. A year ago I was firmly on the recycling wasting less of the earth's resources bandwagon and then pandemic. I still miss not being able to use cloth bags at the grocery store. I'm swimming plastic bags. I don't think I could give up paper towel right now but I am down to using a quarter square at a time, but I admire your idea of making cloth rags and napkins, etc.

    Glad you're getting your vaccine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here they have gone back to allowing them.and I shop at aldi a fair amount. I always try to make first when I can

      Delete
  3. None of us will be perfect. So, doing only a little helps, but I think you might do better than lots of people. I look forward to your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a bunch of bar mops to use in place of some paper towels. It was a really good move and a roll of paper towels lasts a long time now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the things we do (and, I'm looking for inspiration, as we can always do better) - we use bowls with lids. This is great for small amounts of leftovers, etc. Previously, we would have used plastic wrap to cover the top. We also use cloth napkins exclusively. I have one hankie (made by my grandmother), but could use more than one. I don't sew, but that would be a good project.

    We do recycle, and I don't use plastic grocery bags. I also mail all of my eBay sales with recycled Amazon or other mailers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I alsi.use storage containers with lids mainly. For freezing I use ziploc bags and for some other things. Hence my desire to replace those. Unfortunately I do almost no mailing out so my boxes just sit here or get recycled.

      Delete
  6. I use a bin that measures 18x12x9". It holds the majority of the regular grocery haul and probably eliminates 6-12 plastic grocery bags each time. I also have reusable produce bags for bulk items. I keep the produce bags, cloth bags in the bin, ready to put in the car when I go grocery shopping. I just recently purchased wax-covered cloth wraps that will reduce plastic wrap on leftovers in the fridge. In the microwave, I use reusable silicone covers. I have a pail of rags that I use for cleaning. When young people in my circle set up house, I often "gift" them with a supply of rags; they haven't built that supply up yet. Like Anne, a roll of paper towel lasts >1 month. My go-to dishcloths are made of crocheted yarn. That would be a good way of using up all the leftover bits & pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dint go in stores at all they bring it to my car so unfortunately I have bags no matter what I do. I am also thinking about making wax wrap ( I have all that stuff on hand for body products). O don't actually have alot of rangs round here hence my coak.for color coded towels and such..love the gift idea!!!@

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed with your efforts already. I was thinking back to when I was young, the meat in the freezer was wrapped in a layer of wax paper with a brown paper wrapping. I'm not sure how well that kept meat from getting freezer burn. I don't recall how mom managed with vegetables though.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, yes. We are definitely for Reducing, Reusing, Recycling. Good for you and your efforts to help our planet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!