Friday, January 8, 2021

Meanwhile, In My Little Corner Of The World..........

 

Sitting in bed tonight answering comments on my phone in between knitting  in bed, which has become the new reading in bed.


Thanks for everyone's comments, sorry that I did not get a chance to respond to all. Feel free to continue to comment. In will continue to allow most all comments but the commenters who missed my editing this time will not be around again. I'm adding multiple blogs to the side this week, as well as removing just one or two. Most are not retiree related and some may even have something to do with food or creation or frugality. As to people who complain that I delete comments. Yes. That's why I have moderation. It's my blog.

I briefly had another wake up call this morning when I saw that Nancy (who if FAR from my favorite person gives the Dems a bad name on more days than not) had contacted the generals about the codes.  The had me having a Martin Sheen "Dead Zone" moment there.

In other news here at Casa Barb, my daughter has tested positive for Covid, exactly one day after taking the first vaccine. She says she is just tired, has bad cold symptoms and no sense of taste or smell. Her husband went and got tested and he is negative. He's going to discuss what's appropriate with his job, which also tests daily. At home he has moved to the guest room, they are distancing and both wearing mask (wonder how that's going with the dogs). She did text me that "Having no taste and smell is very unsettling". I can only imagine. Thankfully since she's an essential person who got ill at work, this is two weeks paid leave. I am trying to make sure from afar that she is caring for herself. 


This is a new pattern (photo from Color Connections quilts) and I am going to do this in bright SW colors and get it up on my wall. My new quilt to do for February (see Chreative to do list)

I of course am back to my lazy, "hide out at home except for walking or doing trunk pickup from the store"ways. I think about taking a long drive or exploring walking trails but I'll feel more comfortable doing that in the spring when at least some of the populace has been shot in the arm. Here in Texas we are at 1B which means (for this state at least) 65 and up or chronic condions. The vaccines are arriving slowly and I am on the list at a local health clinic (they've been receiving about a hundred a week) and hope to make the cut by February sometime. For the first one.


Definitely not my first choice in fabrics, but I was ordering online from Joanne's and I need to get rid of the Christmas decor.

Today I did do a brief "pop out" and picked up a few things from Target (using them more than Walmart or the grocery right now as they have two hour drive up for anything in the store) and bought batting (the insides of a quilt) to finish a quilt and fabric to make throw pillow covers for the large and small pillows. It's not exactly what I thought it was when I saw it online, but it'll work until what I really want is in stock. Which is similar in colors with more red and muuch more sothwestern. I'm on a no spend reset month but I had a Joanne's gift card. I also have another gift card-one of those so called entertainment one that's good at about ten places including Macy's and Bed and Bath. I'm either going to order a small eight inch round lectric skillet to use on my stove or get sensible stuff like fridge shelf liners. Once in awhile even I must be sensible, I suppose. 


I've rejected some small appliances, and embraced others (getting a cover for my oven so I can put things like this on it). A Toaster oven upgrade thad holds and eleven by seven pan is in the works post no spend period.

We're supposed to have rain and non sticking snow showers on Sunday (one of Texas' brief forays into winter days). It will be forty degrees but it will be down to as low as 29 overnight, so after taking my sunny walk tomorrow I will  be nesting. Knitting on my new pink short sleeved sweater (I think the blue one is too heavy for Texas so I have temporarily left it aside to think about), doing some sewing, reading my new Amazon Reads book, watching my Nordic show on Mhz.  Oh, and yes, there might be some packing up of the Christmas things. I am going to make a seasonal year round tree but it's going to be one of the ones shown below, not a green one. 


Just not sure I can look at a pine tree year around, even a small one. So this will be the substitute

There might be some actual cooking of some real oven mustard brown sugar pork chops (now that I have an actual chef knife and slicer to attack the previously mentioned hunk of pork in my freezer) and the baking and freezing of portion sized muffins and cake. There might be.

Oh, and that Target pickup?  I ordered a little thing of Valentine Hershey's Kisses.  And got a family sized bag. I may need to fill up sandwish bags and leave the kisses on a hall table somewhere before I eat them all.

26 comments:

  1. Hoping your daughter is feeling better quickly & stays well.

    I absolutely love the quilt, and the small tree. Both are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I figure a white tree will show off seasonal decor better.

      Delete
  2. I am just amazed at your energy. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you at my house and saw how much time I spent reading. Watching TV and eating food others had cooked you might think differently.my sest in the sofa has a permanent indent.

      Delete
  3. Hope your daughter has an easy time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of cover are you getting for your stove? There are times I would love to use the stove top to place things like the slow cooker or instant pot on but am scared I will scratch it.

    I actually like that butterfly fabric. I think you could really make it pop by adding a bright gold or burgundy edge to it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am.just going to get ine of those large Corelli style counter orotectors and put it in the stove. I may get burner covers first I dunno. Will try and post photo next week

      Delete
  5. Hoping your daughter has a speedy recovery and your son-in-law stays well. Similar to Texas the vaccine distribution in Ohio has also been very slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think its a nationwide problem really.

      Delete
  6. Love the little tree! I hope your daughter's symptoms stay on the mild side. It's got to be really scary for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but she's doing well.so far and has eaten and is playing with Legos now (she got a Friend's large lego set for Christmas as a gag)

      Delete
  7. I hope your daughter gets well soon. I have never experienced a lack of smell or taste, and I cannot imagine how that is. Heshey's kisses...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're still on 1A here in PA with the vaccine, haven't gotten to the 65-and-older crowd yet. Dunno when they will. Hope your daughter does well with it. P.S. I like the tree, it's very cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I think patience at this time. I'm on two waiting lists. I believe the theory is that if people ikea me get vaccinated that takes a load off the providers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing the mildest of symptoms and the speediest of recoveries for your daughter, Barb. This is such a tenacious virus and sometimes I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to who picks it up and who does not.

    Your new home sounds like its already very cozy, and a good place from which to watch/enjoy some inclement weather. Hopimg the next two weeks pass quickly for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your daughter, and hopefully your SIL continues to test negative.
    Love the color of your new sweater! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for your daughter's quick recovery. We are still at 1A in Illinois, too. Looks like it could take awhile...Your new quilt is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy your blog. I'm not very computer literate so I hope this posts! Here's to a quick recovery to your daughter. Best wishes to all. P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your daughter recovers quickly. My friend's son-in-law is a nurse and got symptoms the day after the vaccine also. He thought it was from the vaccine. It turned out that he was exposed to a traveling nurse days before who infected several people in his department. They didn't know. Therefore he went home and his little son got infected also from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't get Covid from the vaccine. She works in a nursing game and rehab facility with 7 positive patients..

      Delete
  15. I'm going to assume you know the positive has nothing to do with vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it gas to do with being a therapist at a rehab facility with 7 positive patients i am pretty sure,lol.

      Delete
  16. Speedy recovery to your kiddo! Scary. I love the little birch tree! You are always doing something productive. Stay happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope your daughter and her husband get past this quickly!! I am fairly sure I had Covid back in January.Lost taste and smell,night chills, slept round the clock, lost 13 pounds in 2 weeks, had a month of incredible life-stopping fatigue.And a barking cough.My husband never got sick.I was living in the guest room for a good 2 weeks. Articles I’ve read say they know now the virus was here already in January.I’ll get vaccinated anyway when I can!! Love hearing of your new life in Texas.As 2021 rolls on, I am sure you’ll be able to get out and explore more and get this new life into higher gear.Till then,I know you keep busy with your plans and activities! Stay safe and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!