Friday, January 22, 2021

Five on Friday-and Blog Changes to Come!

I have just realized that not all moderation was coming to email. As of today I am going to Blogger to approve posts, so be assured if I missed you before or posted your comments late, that will no longer happen. I've gotten a couple new troll types so need to keep moderation for now.

So starting next week, there will slowly be some changes on the blog (and maybe social media that I have been ignoring).  Still in progress, but my plan is to have one or two shorter blog posts and then a longer "Peek into my week" type post on Friday. It'll all be experimental, so please bear with me.

Meanwhile, Friday things:

1.  I have a drive through appointment at four thirty this afternoon for my first vaccine!  Since I can't get new car stuff till March at least, I'll grab my lease or something for residential proof if I need it and fill up my leaky tire on the way. Gonna hit Panera or some other drive through post shot as I dunno what the energy level will be. Could be nothin' , or it could be the Singrix shot type flu symptoms that some folks get. Either way, I'm ready. 


And DONE!!!

2.  Without appearing too shallow, let me just put all the politics and male optics aside and talk about Michelle Obama for a moment if I may. What an outfit, people!!  If there was anyone making a statement on the platform with visuals it was she, from head to toe. And I say that will full respect to our current Vice President and her fashion sense and colors. Holy Cow!

3. I got one of the real "chop and cook" kits this week and ended up running from the room. In fact, I broke everything down and put it all in the pantry and fridge to use in other ways. 40 minutes of prep alone is not how I live my life, lol. Instead i'll return to the idea of the oven read meals for two every couple of weeks and fill in with all the alternatives (tomorrow I'm making ground beef stroganoff for the freezer). My next meal kit trial is actually Texas based and can be found here.

4. While not a social media presence, I belong to a bunch of FB private groups and Instagram accounts having to do with travel, cooking for one or two, frugality, quilting, knitting, reading and European TV (yep, there is actually a FB group for women who love British and Euro TV. Who knew?). While the meme below is most evident on the knitting group (suprise) it appears in multiple forms over the Internet as I'm sure by now everyone has seen.



5. Today is the anniversary of the Roe V Wade decision. As I age, I become a contradiction: I continue to support reasonable, sensible limits and guidelines but at the same time I worry more about where the ruling stands and how secure it will be in the future. And yes, I bet this paragraph is a surprise to many.

6. Last but not least, I'm a nerd at heart.  Most of the best parts of the day on Wednesday for me were all the things that happened before and immediately after the inauguration. Somewhere in my laid back soul there is a reverence for form, function, protocol and the like.  From all the official workings and traditional trappings to presentation of the troops and everything in between.  In another life I would have made a wonderful protocol secretary. (I am actually the same with church trappings. My progressive heart loves the smells, bells, and color).

32 comments:

  1. That's the best Bernie meme I've seen. The internet loves him.

    Mrs. Obama is always so classy. I think I read somewhere that both her outfit and the VP's were designed by the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say from First Lady, to Vice President, to the three former first ladies, the fashion sense was through the roof. Classy and graceful and all strong women in their own rights. ( have a soft soft for Laura Bush-I thought she was so sweet and a calming presence through all the turmoil of the time). I need to know about this British-European TV FB group. I'm obsessed. I am not pro-abortion, but am pro-choice and think the government needs to stay out of a women's life, but probably agree to a certain extent that at a certain point, a group of cells is a real person. It's a hard issue for me to know truly what right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me as well as a person of faith especially

      Delete
    2. I agree with SAM, the government needs to stay out of a women's life. Her medical choices should be her decision with the advice of her doctor. Saying that, I would rather women didn't need to have abortions and instead had free and easy access to birth control including the morning after pill. Free birth control for males would help too.

      Delete
  3. Bernie is everywhere today!
    Like you I oppose abortion as birth control, but I am adamantly pro-choice, but unsure where I stand on the late term procedures.
    Michelle Obama looks good always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have as much issue with late term.as it's almost ways doctor suggested. But I've come to reuze I have huge issues with the "this baby isn't perfect" justification. I follow a priest with no arms or legs who is a musician artist and poet and cannot imagine her not being born.

      Delete
    2. As a retired labor and delivery nurse, I can share with you that most “late term” abortions are related to horrific conditions such as when the baby is “anacephalic” (no brain matter).. this is often not discovered till later, and at that point an “induction” of delivery is offered.. or else the Mom would carry a child which will live minutes after delivery, in her body, for a couple of more months. It’s a harrowing decision and a terrible terrible thing for a family to go through. But I believe we need to have those options. Women in general do not wait that long when they make a decision to terminate.

      Delete
  4. I love all those Bernie memes. They had several on the local news of Bernie in various local places. I'm curious about "many" using abortion as birth control. Can you cite your source? It seems to me that it's an expensive method of birth control as well as rather painful and complicated. Not sure why anyone would choose that method. Maybe you meant that in a different way than I'm taking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila as I told Juhli I've put that comment aside until I do more research. As I said, I DO know people who do this with the "imperfect" baby syndrome and I am absolutely opposed to those reasons so I may be projecting.

      Delete
    2. For me, it depends on the "imperfection," I guess. My granddaughter was born with Trisomy 28, something they didn't catch in the ultrasound so, thankfully, no decision ever had to be made. Usually those babies only live a month or so. We had our little angel for almost 9 years. She couldn't walk or talk and was fed through a stomach tube. She was happy, though, and we loved her. But caring for her was a full time job with so many medical and hospital visits that many couldn't afford. The marriage didn't last as is the case for so many couples. Frankly, I wouldn't wish that in anyone so I would never judge a woman who got an abortion because of an "imperfect" baby. I find it disgusting that many so-called pro-life people want the baby to be born, but after that the mother is in her own.

      Delete
    3. We call those people “ANTI CHOICE” Not “pro life.” They are against choice.

      Delete
  5. I am wondering if you can reference a study or data on abortion as birth control in the US? I know that has been public policy in some few other countries at some times but haven’t seen any info on it in the US. Given the difficulties and cost of access I would find it surprising if it was a significant percentage of abortions. As always though I am prepared to be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As am I. I will do more research and adjust the post meanwhile.

      Delete
  6. I love this Bernie persona. Never mind fashion, he wants to be warm and spend nothing. I support abortion for any reason, but I frown upon it as birth control or because of imperfect baby. However, some catastrophic deformities and no brain issues lead me to approve of abortion for those babies. Nonetheless, abortion should be safe, legal, and available. And, it should ultimately be a woman's decision with absolutely no input from people without a uterus. All the fashion was perfect this inauguration. I loved it all and all the ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Barbara! I love that photo of you getting your shot. Gorgeous! I wonder if I'll be able to take a photo of my husband getting a shot. Hmmm...

    I had to look at Michelle's outfit again. Oh yes! You're right! It's definitely making a statement. I love fuschia. It's a mix of Red and Blue which is great. I thought the inauguration was handled beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me tell ya, I'll write about it more later, but I never even stopped the car as such. I'm writing and signing the form while moving (every so slowly admittedly) and pulling up my long sleeved weater to reveal the tshirted arm underneath and so on. I kind of diffidently asked the fellow about the picture and he said . "Oh, you have no idea how many times I have done this today", lol.

      Delete
    2. And I love that Bernie meme. Too cute!

      Delete
  8. Was that a selfie or did they have a volunteer using the driver's phone for a photo op?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the emts was like "sure, I've been doing this all day long".

      Delete
  9. I agree that Michelle Obama's outfit was very classy. I also loved Amanda Gorman's outfit. My gosh, that yellow coat and red headband made her a fashion standout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And such a poised and intelligent young woman.

      Delete
  10. Great shot...both the photo and vaccine. Lucky you, I'll be waiting for several months yet I'm sure.

    Love the Bernie meme. Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really quite upset with my former state. They will just start doing seniors next week with a mass thing in the sports stadium, but that I can see they don't include for all the chronic diseases. My son at thirty is a former asthmatic with respitory issues and I want him to get the damned shot now! Fortunately I believe he is being careful at work, and has had both flu and pneumonia shots.

      Delete
  11. Love all the memes coming out. Lion Brand Yarn has one and a pattern coming soon for his mitts (not exactly the same, but close enough.

    First shot down one more to go for you. I will be waiting awhile yet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Ill be patiently waiting or the other.

      Delete
  12. Thrilled you received the vaccine. That is such good news. We are still waiting for ours (hubby and I are both 70) but would give to my kids who are teachers in a heartbeat. Of course that isn't an option so will take as soon as available. I loved watching the inauguration it was a wonderful day. Hope your daughter has fully recovered. Take care, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have happily given up to my son who has asthma issues. Not impressed with my blue state of Colorado in how they are doing it at their end, but amazed at the efficiency of Texas at least in my little corner.

      Delete
  13. Big congrats on getting your vaccine! Stay healthy and keep updating us on which meal kits you like best. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have vaccine envy. BTW -- your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray on getting the vaccine! The women were beautifully dressed for the inauguration. I managed to catch a bit of it on Wednesday. I wondered if the incoming VP’s choice of purple was deliberate as when you mix red and blue together you get purple. I haven’t read anything suggesting this...it just sprang to mind. Congrats from Canada!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agree with all of your notes here: Ms. Obama looked stunning, as did all the women AND men, I love to see a well dressed guy with a pocket handkerchief!

    We are excited to have vaccine appointments too!!

    Roe vs. Wade: Reproductive freedom is at the HEART of a woman’s ability to succeed. We must be able to have our children when the time is right for us. When each child will be a WELCOMED child into this world. I worked for Planned Parenthood for years and I can tell you no one makes that decision easily, we had adoption counseling as a part of every abortion consult and we followed up with social work visits as needed,too. (We also provided an INCREDIBLE volume of CONTRACEPTiON at low cost!) I am thrilled at your stance on this.

    Will look forward to whatever changes you make on your blog,I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!